12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Heat Wave - June 20-23

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it may even be a little more than an outside shot, especially if that low closes off. June convective rains can really dump.

Just get that low to cut west and high dews/convection in here and you'll get your wish

If it happens it happens, Still drying out from what we have had so far this month, The container garden is loving it though

Why does downsloping cause mixing to be superadiabatic? I'm asking physically..it doesn't make a lot of sense in my head. Compression warms the air dry adiabatically.

It's possible to also heat that air that has been compressed, via the sun. We see that a lot in March and April on NW flow.

It's possible to also heat that air that has been compressed, via the sun. We see that a lot in March and April on NW flow.

Downsloping (plus turbulent mixing) ensures you're at 9.8C/KM (away from Tolland). Include intense solar heating and you're able to go super adiabatic near the bottom of the boundary layer.

Right...it makes more

sense to talk about insolation causing a superadiabtic lapse rate in the low-levels than it does to talk about compression. If we already mixing dry to 850...how is compression doing anything?

Downsloping (plus turbulent mixing) ensures you're at 9.8C/KM (away from Tolland). Include intense solar heating and you're able to go super adiabatic near the bottom of the boundary layer.

Yeah exactly. Spring is a classic example of that when the folks in the Berkshires can be 10-12F cooler than BOS.

basically...we are assuming in areas outside of downslope that they are not getting a perfect dry rate...but they are still superadiabatic near the ground...so it effectively becomes dry. Areas that are downsloping are right at dry...and the superadiabatic lapse in the low-levels is causing them to exceed effective dry to 850?

Right...it makes more

sense to talk about insolation causing a superadiabtic lapse rate in the low-levels than it does to talk about compression. If we already mixing dry to 850...how is compression doing anything?

Well you are taking that compressed air and actually heating it more. That will actually help raise mixing heights just a bit since you are superadiabatic and the parcel is able to bust into the inversion layer a little higher up in the column. So you have air forced and compressed down a mountainside ensuring adiabatic lapse rates and now intense solar heating from the June sun. It's a good question though.

That's my thought anyways.

Well you are taking that compressed air and actually heating it more. That will actually help raise mixing heights just a bit since you are superadiabatic and the parcel is able to bust into the inversion layer a little higher up in the column. So you have air forced and compressed down a mountainside ensuring adiabatic lapse rates and now intense solar heating from the June sun. It's a good question though.

I wonder if and how much downslope can raise the inversion above 850 if we are only talking about several hundred feet.

How far out from a mountain (or whatever) does that effect reach?

Actually what it more or less equates to, his lapse rates in the lower levels that are higher than what we would expect with SW winds.

So basically the air would probably be close to dry adiabatic of we had SW winds, lets say. Now, you are taking air and compressing the flow which ensures dry adiabatic flow and throwing solar insolation into the mix. I don't think it would be super adiabatic if it were not from the sun.

basically...we are assuming in areas outside of downslope that they are not getting a perfect dry rate...but they are still superadiabatic near the ground...so it effectively becomes dry. Areas that are downsloping are right at dry...and the superadiabatic lapse in the low-levels is causing them to exceed effective dry to 850?

Yeah turbulent mixing will get you close to 9.8 but the downslope assist can make sure you keep 9.8C/km in lowest km plus solar insolation and you can really bake.

Actually what it more or less equates to, his lapse rates in the lower levels that are higher than what we would expect with SW winds.

So basically the air would probably be close to dry adiabatic of we had SW winds, lets say. Now, you are taking air and compressing the flow which ensures dry adiabatic flow and throwing solar insolation into the mix. I don't think it would be super adiabatic if it were not from the sun.

Yeah it can't be but you're able to ensure a deep mixed layer at 9.8 c/km plus super adiabatic near the ground.

Archived