Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Heat Wave - June 20-23

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is nuts for BOS in June:

Wednesday: Patchy fog before 7am. Otherwise, mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101. Heat index values as high as 109. West wind between 9 and 13 mph.

Where are these 100F+ temps coming from?

I'm looking back across the Ohio Valley source region and not seeing anything near what is forecast for tomorrow (100F at a lot of the valley spots).

It looks like highs from PA to MI and southwest through OH and IN were all in the general 90-95F range, with 1,500ft seeing mid to upper 80s.

If this airmass gets in here, it'll certainly be hot, but they all had clear/sunny skies and I didn't see anyone top out over 95F from a quick glance around. Its not like this is "over-performing" at least out to our SW... and dews also don't look that bad with Tds generally 57-64F down to our SW. RH's this afternoon from IN/OH area were like 35-45% which isn't too bad.

I'm looking back across the Ohio Valley source region and not seeing anything near what is forecast for tomorrow (100F at a lot of the valley spots).

It looks like highs from PA to MI and southwest through OH and IN were all in the general 90-95F range, with 1,500ft seeing mid to upper 80s.

If this airmass gets in here, it'll certainly be hot, but they all had clear/sunny skies and I didn't see anyone top out over 95F from a quick glance around. Its not like this is "over-performing" at least out to our SW... and dews also don't look that bad with Tds generally 57-64F down to our SW. RH's this afternoon from IN/OH area were like 35-45% which isn't too bad.

downsloping

Would it have to do with the whole compression/downsloping thing that Scooter, Ryan, Nick, and Phil were discussing?

downsloping

What's that? :lol:

no but seriously... downsloping is the reason a bunch of 92, 93, 94F highs in the Ohio Valley today will turn into 100F+ tomorrow for BDL, CEF, BOS, ASH, etc?

I understand the compressional heating of the boundary layer... but I just didn't think gradual downsloping of around 1,000ft would add that much to the temperatures. I mean I could see if you're dropping like 3-5,000ft but I guess maybe its enough off the ORH hills into BOS or Litchfield County into BDL.

Did anyone notice the 12z MET has 105F for TAN on Thu? LOL

lol

I've noticed MET/MAV do some weird things during these events. I think it was the 2010 heat wave (where Kevin expected 100s of deaths) the MAV was printing out 106 at BDL even the day of the big heat. Got to 102.

Probably has more to do with the coastal plain getting the short end of the stick Winter and Summer. Poor coastal people. (That was for you Powderfreak)lol

:lol: Its just not worth rubbing in. They do have benefits... like interacting with other humans on a daily basis. I could see the attraction of the coast.

I'd like to see more heat like powderfreak mentioned to the west... but 18z MAV did tick up again. 18Z GFS bufkit soundings are quite impressive.

They are gradually a little higher in elevation out there aren't they? Like 500-1,000ft or so across most of the Ohio Valley? Maybe that's the extra couple degrees plus some downsloping or something. I dunno, I just expected to see a bunch of like 95-98F type highs out there and instead its more like 91-94F.

I'd like to see more heat like powderfreak mentioned to the west... but 18z MAV did tick up again. 18Z GFS bufkit soundings are quite impressive.

DTW with a tied record of 95F today. We can probably manage a couple degrees higher than that with downslope.

Why are you fighting this heat wave? You've been doing everything in your power to make it seem run of the mill, when in fact i's going to be one of the top 3 of your lifetime

You are on so much crack. I had a better heat wave in April 76, last July and 1974, this is a two day dry blast, piece of cake. What a sallie.

Archived