• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Long Duration Noreaster - First week of June

Baroclinic Zone

Well, yeah, for the year...but we were also well above normal at the end of last year. It doesn't really matter as long as the ponds, reservoirs are full, which they basically are.

We are not Kansas

True, but things dry quick in the summer. The ground doesn't care if we had 5" of rain when it's dry for 30 days or more.

I've been watering quite a bit as locally we are in a hole compared to everyone else. What else is new..lol.

After these few days things should be good.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the deficit that you're trying to overcome is largely from the lack of snow this Winter, no? I can't imagine that the soil there is bone dry. Reservoirs here are full, the rivers are flowing nicely and the flora here is well watered and as lush and green as it gets.

Pretty dry actually, but reservoirs..ponds etc are close to full.

True, but things dry quick in the summer. The ground doesn't care if we had 5" of rain when it's dry for 30 days or more.

I've been watering quite a bit as locally we are in a hole compared to everyone else. What else is new..lol.

After these few days things should be good.

i can't get over how thick my lawn got during May. The routine rain we did get helped a bunch. I mowed last night (hack job due to time) and it was a jungle. Our plantings got huge quickly, too.

Any thoughts on Sunday?

Per my station (which includes at least a portion of time that I had a damn leaf clogging my bucket, ftl), things have shifted dramatically from the early spring dry spell:

Week ending:

April 15: 0.00

April 22: 0.01

April 29: 2.37"

May 6: 0.92"

May 13: 1.67"

May 20: 1.20"

May 27: 0.44"

So far: 1.54"

Looking fine and dandy at the Pit.

Did you run in the dusty, dry conditions today?

I took 3 days off after the marathon and didn't run Mon-Wed.

I ran 3.1 on Thursday and today would have been running day..but since I knew it would be raining early I ran yesterday instead..I did 6 miles and my legs def felt it. You're really supposed to just ease back into after a marathon.

Next week I'll be back to 4 days running..but won't run anything longer than 8 miles.

I'll start the training for HFD June 10(18 weeks)

It has dried out in many areas. BOS has been dry too. Even after the rains over the next few days..we will still be below normal.

How does below normal Jan-March correlate to current stream flow, reservoir levels, soil conditions and groundwater, see charts below Using Jan 1 we are below normal for the year, using a 1 year period we are way above normal. Feeder streams were low but that changed this morning.At any rate we will not have to worry about anything close to a drought for quite a while in this pattern.

Daily discharge statistics, in cfs, for Jun 2 based on 82 years of record more Min

(1980) 25th

percen-

tile Median Mean 75th

percen-

tile Most Recent

Instantaneous

Value Jun 2 Max

(1984) 4450 10500 14300 18900 21700 22100 150000

I took 3 days off after the marathon and didn't run Mon-Wed.

I ran 3.1 on Thursday and today would have been running day..but since I knew it would be raining early I ran yesterday instead..I did 6 miles and my legs def felt it. You're really supposed to just ease back into after a marathon.

Next week I'll be back to 4 days running..but won't run anything longer than 8 miles.

I'll start the training for HFD June 10(18 weeks)

Good luck. Admirable dedication

i can't get over how thick my lawn got during May the last week. The routine rain we did get helped a bunch. I mowed last night (hack job due to time) and it was a jungle. Our plantings got huge quickly, too.

Any thoughts on Sunday?

HEAVY, HEAVY mowing yesterday. Had the height at 4" and I as taking off at least 2-3" (in a week).

i can't get over how thick my lawn got during May. The routine rain we did get helped a bunch. I mowed last night (hack job due to time) and it was a jungle. Our plantings got huge quickly, too.

Any thoughts on Sunday?

I'd say you are right on the line. I'd say you should have an ok day...maybe a pop up shwr or tstm in the aftn, but I think it looks ok for many of us until late day. Then winds turn northeast and rain and drizzle move in Sunday Night and especially Monday.

I have more confidence in areas just to your south for tomorrow.

I will make sure to take pics as the clearing line is fast approaching, tomorrow sunny and 78 LOL

Let's hope that gets in here. At some point it will stall.... Father in law was saying last night that he heard rain for th whole weekend--I told him not to worry....

Let's hope that gets in here. At some point it will stall.... Father in law was saying last night that he heard rain for th whole weekend--I told him not to worry....

Exactly, man tomorrow looks like another top ten summer day, a true gem.

Steve, I'm mostly talking about soils imby. Also, streams were a little below normal....the local ones I know of including Neponset River. Bigger rivers, ponds, lakes, etc are fine.

and I agree, hot sunny days dried the top layer out. Kevin said water tables were low, no they are not. Would love to see the data he refers to. If you look at the CT reservoir levels I posted you can see how very long it takes for real drought to affect massive bodies of water, even in the driest months the water tables were way above normal. Using below normal precip as a drought indicator can be very misleading and that is my biggest issue with that drought monitor at UNL.edu. Palmer and reservoir levels show real groundwater conditions.

Morrisey Blvd flooding Monday?

Archived