joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 1, 2012 - Severe Thunderstorms/Tornadoes Event

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to watch a possibly considerable threat shaping up in this region. Can't help but have April 28, 2002 pop into my head when looking at this thread. That was a fascinating event. Highly unlikely we will see such an event occur Friday in that area, yet alone in my lifetime.

I was once the storms/reports came in from W VA into the Luray area. I had to use my geography skills and mapping techniques I was learning cause I work at a school and we get out at 3PM... we had to hold after getting a few buses out -- I got to make the decision :P

Craziest day I can remember. In Luray, we stayed in some sort of watch for almost 24 hours. We had severe storms the night before as well.

I lost power first, just after 2pm. Trees down everywhere from a microburst. Then it rolled toward you all. The rest is history.

The La Plata tornado is probably not a great analog.. that was more of a classic low amplitude trough. This one fits pretty well into a historical analog overall that produces severe weather and/or tornadoes in the area but these closed lows that have been closed a while don't always (and perhaps more often than not) live up to their tornadic potential. It looks a bit messy to me for a big "outbreak" (as if those happen in the mid-atlantic anyway). I do think there is probably a fairly high end wind threat either way.

The La Plata tornado is probably not a great analog.. that was more of a classic low amplitude trough. This one fits pretty well into a historical analog overall that produces severe weather and/or tornadoes in the area but these closed lows that have been closed a while don't always (and perhaps more often than not) live up to their tornadic potential. It looks a bit messy to me for a big "outbreak" (as if those happen in the mid-atlantic anyway). I do think there is probably a fairly high end wind threat either way.

Aha! So no meh from you! :P

Aha! So no meh from you! :P

There might be some more similarities to the college park event in 2001... which was of course rather hefty. Tho that was an open wave early in the day before it closed off and it did not evolve the same way. Right now to me it looks like there will be a timing issue and that the shear may be too strong to recover for a significant tornado threat given potential activity early. It is probably the most interesting threat for the area in a long while.. at least since April last yr. If you can get a vort to rotate around the low perfectly and align with the warm front you might be getting somewhere with a localized tornado threat.

Pretty impressive numbers at Frederick...

http://beta.wxcaster.com/cgi-bin/parse_skewt_trace1.cgi?model=NAM&fcsthr=045&STATIONID=KFDK

SUP: 85.5%

SRH 0-3km: 315 & 1km: 145

0-6km shear: 44.5 kts

I think I hear thunder!

So... mod risk at for morning Day 2? I say no... but wording for potential upgrade if things become clearer

doubtful.. the threat up north looked better and did not get it till day of

negative factors for a big outbreak...I'm already of the mind set that there will be some severe weather.

I think the degree of lift that will be in place along with the potential for moderate instability along with rich BL dewpoints could compensate some.

I guess right now the question is what everyone's definition of a major outbreak is :lol:

I think this could be a rather potent event...I could see a moderate risk verifying.

Archived