• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 1, 2012 - Severe Thunderstorms/Tornadoes Event

Kmlwx

I know it's three days about, but with a 30% risk from the SPC I figured it warranted a separate thread from the generic obs and discussion one. Plus, in the event that this turns into something significant, we all like having a central thread to refer back to.

Timing appears to be important for this threat (as it always is). SPC map below (attached, not linked for preservation purposes)

Our resident mapgirl seems to think threat will remain mainly south and Eskimo Joe believes front may have issues coming north of I-70 (working on past events). We shall see!

I bet Yoda will be the first person to post in here... ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoda's favorite source (wxcaster.com) prints out some really impressive stuff for Friday...

Take a look at the 86% supercell probability! Probably overdone...also of note is the large amounts of CAPE.

This is from the 12z NAM for Friday PM

If the numerical guidance comes into better agreement tonight, I'll bite on Mason-Dixon south as a go.

Knowing our track record with svr...I bet it shifts to no threat at all :lol:

Also Ian has given his official rating of a 6 on his MehIndex for us.

Trough is definitely tilted negatively, we could get a decent squall line

Would be nice... if that did happen we would have to hope for some discrete cells in front of the line for any tor threat... this could be biggest threat (and I stress THREAT) since June 08 I believe it was... or was it '09?

Would be nice... if that did happen we would have to hope for some discrete cells in front of the line for any tor threat... this could be biggest threat (and I stress THREAT) since June 08 I believe it was... or was it '09?

June 4, 2008 was incredible. First time in my school career that I remember schools here being closed due to thunderstorms (following day). I remember teachers were throwing a fit because it was the one exam review day.

My sister graduated HS that day, and I remember calling the school to tell them to move it inside because the threat was so bad. They did. But I do remember driving home (I was living in Pasadena at the time) from the city telling my mom to get to the lower level bathroom with the dogs cause a tornado warning was issued.

FYI -- June 4 2008 event had 15% svr probs and SLGT risk on the June 3rd Day 2 0800z and 1730z OTLKs.

MOD risk didnt show up till 1300z OTLK on June 4

Different setup tho. Tough to compare two diff events. But purely going on probablities from SPC we area 'ahead' of June 4 2008

All 3 of you were a bunch of weenies in 08 :P

I was once the storms/reports came in from W VA into the Luray area. I had to use my geography skills and mapping techniques I was learning cause I work at a school and we get out at 3PM... we had to hold after getting a few buses out -- I got to make the decision :P

I was once the storms/reports came in from W VA into the Luray area. I had to use my geography skills and mapping techniques I was learning cause I work at a school and we get out at 3PM... we had to hold after getting a few buses out -- I got to make the decision :P

Who are you kidding? You're still a weenie :)

For those of you interested in what happened on June 4th - 5th, 2008, here is the analysis page from SPC: http://www.spc.noaa....p?date=20080604

I love that resource on the SPC page.

H5 looks super different than the setup for this Friday (not saying you were implying it was similar). Hopefully a red tagger can chime in and make some comments at some point on the overall setup.

Archived