Newest Member
    joxey
June 1, 2012 - Severe Thunderstorms/Tornadoes Event

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that resource on the SPC page.

H5 looks super different than the setup for this Friday (not saying you were implying it was similar). Hopefully a red tagger can chime in and make some comments at some point on the overall setup.

Not at all. I was just linking it as a compliment to the discussion about the June 2008 incident.

Here is the thread from eastern http://www.easternus...ttingNewSkin__3

+1 Internets to teh mapgirl.

Afternoon discussion is VERY strongly worded -

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

A SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE WEATHER HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR FRIDAY WITH

HEAVY...INTENSE THUNDERSTORMS AND POSSIBLE TORNADOES.

THURSDAY NIGHT...A WARM FRONT /ASSOCIATED WITH A DEVELOPING LOW

LIFTING UP THE OHIO VALLEY/ WILL LIFT NORTH THROUGH THE CENTRAL MID

ATLANTIC THROUGH THE NIGHT. EXPECT CLOUDS TO INCREASE...THOUGH

SOUTHEASTERLY WINDS MAY NOT SHIFT SOUTHERLY UNTIL FRIDAY MORNING. A

COLD FRONT WILL BE ADVANCING EAST FROM THE OHIO VALLEY IN THE WAKE

OF THE LOW...SO LOW CHANCE POPS WERE ADDED FOR WEST OF THE BLUE

RIDGE. THE REAL ACTION WILL BE ON FRIDAY. MIN TEMPS LOW 60S I-95 AND

EAST...MID TO UPR 50S WEST.

FRIDAY INTO FRIDAY EVENING...ACTIVE WEATHER DAY AS A COLD FRONT FROM

A LOW LIFTING NORTH ACROSS THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES SHIFTS EAST

ACROSS THE MID ATLANTIC. 12Z NAM/GFS/ECMWF IN VERY GOOD AGREEMENT OF

TIMING THE FRONT ACROSS THE LWX CWA FROM MIDDAY OUT WEST TO THE

EVENING IN THE EAST. THIS IS FAVORABLE TIMING DIURNALLY SO

INSTABILITY SHOULD BE MAXIMIZED. A PLUME OF GULF MOISTURE WILL BE

STREAMING IN AHEAD OF THE FRONT...BRINGING PWATS INTO THE 1.6 TO 1.8

RANGE...SO EXPECT HEAVY THUNDERSTORMS AND POTENTIAL FLASH FLOODING.

BULK SHEAR OF 35 KT MEETS THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR SUPERCELLS BUT

IS NOT SPECTACULAR. HOWEVER...THE JET APPROACHES IN THE EVENING WITH

LWX IN THE RIGHT ENTRANCE REGION...SO THE SUPERCELL THREAT LOOKS TO

INCREASE THROUGH THE EVENT. THE LOW LEVEL SHEAR /IN BOTH 12Z NAM AND

GFS FORECAST SOUNDINGS/ IS FAVORABLE FOR TORNADOES WITH 25 TO 30 KT

OF SFC TO 0.5KM SHEAR. THEREFORE THE WORDING IN THE HWO WILL BE

STRENGTHENED TO INCLUDE MENTION OF FLASH FLOODING...DAMAGING

WINDS...AND TORNADOES.

FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT...SFC HIGH PRESSURE BRIEFLY

BUILDS EAST ACROSS THE MID ATLANTIC IN THE WAKE OF THE COLD FRONT.

TEMPERATURES RETURN BELOW NORMAL WITH MID 70S GENERALLY FOR

SATURDAY.

The HWO should read:

ESKIMO JOE SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR MASSIVE WORK DEMANDS AT HIS JOB. STAY VIGILANT!

Personally I hope it falls completely apart. I don't mind the work demands, but I haven't been out to Pittsbugh to see my gf in two weeks and I'll catch hell if I don't go out Friday night. Which, of course, guarantees the exact opposite.

For those of you interested in what happened on June 4th - 5th, 2008, here is the analysis page from SPC: http://www.spc.noaa....p?date=20080604

It's interesting to note that exactly 52 weeks after the violent weather of Wednesday, June 4, 2008, there was a severe thunderstorm the evening of Wednesday June 3, 2009, which dropped 2.69 inches of precipitation at Dulles Airport. I remember both of these events well: During the first, I got temporarily stranded at the East Falls Church Metro station on my way home from work about 5 P.M., due to downed power lines outside of East Falls Church. I took a local bus to the West Falls Church Metro station, then caught a commuter bus home to Herndon, arriving about an hour later than normal, only to find the power out. The power wasn't restored until about 2:30 A.M. on June 5th.

During the June 3, 2009 storm, I had just arrived at Dulles on a flight from Atlanta about 8 P.M., barely ahead of the storm -- in fact, my flight was one of the last allowed to land. I waited in the covered parking lot for the storm to die down, but as I was finally pulling out of the lot, the storm suddenly intensified. My drive home was an adventure, as I could barely see the road, but there was almost no traffic, and so I arrived without incident.

Personally I hope it falls completely apart. I don't mind the work demands, but I haven't been out to Pittsbugh to see my gf in two weeks and I'll catch hell if I don't go out Friday night. Which, of course, guarantees the exact opposite.

She will understand!

Anyone else thinking this is going to be the real deal on Friday?

I'm not thinking widespread or anything like that but I have a hunch some nasty cells are going to rampage on a select few. I'm never confident in tornados in these parts unless a tropical system is somehow involved but rotation within the cells seems likely.

Anyone else thinking this is going to be the real deal on Friday?

I'm not thinking widespread or anything like that but I have a hunch some nasty cells are going to rampage on a select few. I'm never confident in tornados in these parts unless a tropical system is somehow involved but rotation within the cells seems likely.

I think a squall line or broken line segments (maybe a QLCS setup) is more likely than a bunch of discrete cells. Still, I'd say spinups are definitely possible in any storms.

I saw that, will be interesting to see what tomorrow's run show. Post pics and soundings please!

I will do that on my frequent breaks at work (shhh don't tell my boss lol).

Although I'm sure Yoda will beat me to the punch 90 percent of the time. Katie has been particularly on top of updates as well!

I know folks here trash him a lot - Our pal over at Wxrisk is really honking on his Facebook page about this threat.

Sounds like he scared half of his fans more than anything. Reading the comments, some people were thinking he was comparing this to the April 27th event from last year.

Sounds like he scared half of his fans more than anything. Reading the comments, some people were thinking he was comparing this to the April 27th event from last year.

He certainly has an interesting delivery style - but that has always been one of his trademarks.

Archived