• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Getting hard to envision a way out of this heat. Even the GGEM, which is much farther east with landfall than most other models, has a day or two of very hot weather.

Th only way I can envision some of us avoiding the heat is a more amped northern stream system diving into the Great Lakes, caused generally by a slower departure of the initial northeast trough.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

July 13th, 1995 it was 108F here... Still remember going out on L Onalaska and jumping into water about chest high and it was like jumping into a hot bathtub...not refreshing at all... We didn't stick around long out there in that heat...

Growing up we didn't have AC. I lived through 1988/1995 with no central AC or even a window AC. Sleeping was not fun with nothing more then a window fan.

Was living in the QC at the time. I went golfing very early that morning just after sunrise. By the time we finished our 18 around 10am it was already very uncomfortable out. MLI only hit 100 that day, but at one point it was 100/80, making for a heat index of 122!

Not in this subforum, but it's interesting to note the extreme heat already building out west. It's already 96 in La Junta Colorado at 10am local time! Much of eastern Colorado could be pushing 110 later today with some all-time records possibly being threatened. This is part of the heat dome that could eventually send a tentacle out our way later in the week.

ugh...looks like this heat wave is gonna happen, huh guys

Maybe the southerly flow will be weak enough to allow for a lake breeze. Had a lake breeze one day during the heat wave of '95. Only July 13th was 100°+ @ 101°.

Really nice morning with a low of 55°. Been hanging around 76° with somewhat overcast conditions all afternoon.

Thick cloud cover most of the day from the festering convection in Iowa. Temps still made the low 80s though. Hoping to get some lightning pics later tonight.

The clouds today have been great. I have been able to get a bunch of outdoor stuff done without getting hot. It has been so sunny this year I'd like to get a few more of these days.

Maybe Tim can double check this but in my quick scan of LAF records, there haven't been back to back years that hit 100 since the period of record began at the airport in 1944. Last year we hit 101 on July 21...can we do it next week?

Not from the records I have. But there is also a ton of missing data, 1946 to 1963, which had some pretty hot periods (namely the early 1950's).

Closest I could find was every two years apart, in a six year stretch...July 14, 1995: 101º, July 27, 1997: 100º, and July 31, 1999: 100º.

WL COOP (1901 to 1944)

1913 and 1914

1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, and 1934

1939, 1940, 1941

Indianapolis has done it a few times (1897 to present), including a couple three year streaks.

1913 and 1914

1939, 1940, and 1941

1952, 1953, and 1954

be nice if the easterly winds can stay around enough before summerfest takes over the lake front next thurs for 10 days. Lake shore waters still a tad cold in the 50's with the westerly wind and has the perch bite very slow. Still nice to be out fishing in the early fall like weather the last 2 days.

be nice if the easterly winds can stay around enough before summerfest takes over the lake front next thurs for 10 days. Lake shore waters still a tad cold in the 50's with the westerly wind and has the perch bite very slow. Still nice to be out fishing in the early fall like weather the last 2 days.

I concur. Early next week should be very comfortable before things get sultry for a day or two. I don't mind a one or two day heat burst, and it doesn't look like this will be a full blown "heat wave" thankfully.

The predicted overnight storms did finally pop up early this morning. Unfortunately, despite quite a bit of storm activity on radar, all I could get was a lousy 0.20" of rain. It was mostly bark with very little bite, and even the bark wasn't a big deal. The heaviest cells missed by a few miles to the north or blew up after leaving CR. It was the best lightning of the year, but that's not saying much.

Archived