• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

That came through here at about 7:40pm. It was already cooler here by the lake, but it is now 69°. Still heading south...

-Turtle: Did not notice any difference in the clouds here. Not sure you'll see the actual boundary or not.

Totally could see the boundary by the pollution contrast (outflow air is super polluted) and low clouds. About when the low clouds reached us the wind picked up and got cold. Fun to experience things like that.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally could see the boundary by the pollution contrast (outflow air is super polluted) and low clouds. About when the low clouds reached us the wind picked up and got cold. Fun to experience things like that.

Yeah I would imagine an east winds brings all the pollution from the Milwaukee metro your direction! An east wind here is pretty clean since there's only one town between me and the lake. Sounds like Sunday afternoon a similar situation could happen.

Down to 66°/60°.

Euro still advertising an inferno mid/late next week. It's not 8 or 9 days out anymore so might have more credibility.
Euro has highs nearing 105 here next Thursday.

Verbatim it would put Chicago near the all time record high(105).

The GFS has come in warmer the past few runs, though not quite to ECMWF levels. It will be interesting to see the next few runs given we're inside 7 days.

Yeah I would imagine an east winds brings all the pollution from the Milwaukee metro your direction! An east wind here is pretty clean since there's only one town between me and the lake. Sounds like Sunday afternoon a similar situation could happen.

Down to 66°/60°.

67 °F with a northeasterly wind at the airport, gotta love it in the middle of summer.

Tomorrow will be 16 seconds shorter than the longest day of the year :)

On this date in 1992, LAF had a low of 35 degrees, tying the all-time June record low set on June 5, 1945. Mid 30's in late June...kooky. That was the summer that was probably influenced by the Pinatubo eruption.

Yes it was.

Cool day here too, 61°/42°.

The GFS has come in warmer the past few runs, though not quite to ECMWF levels. It will be interesting to see the next few runs given we're inside 7 days.

00z GFS has 850 mb temps of 28C nosing into western IL at 120 hours. There's even a pocket of 30C in southern IA.

Hard to believe MLI has that beat by 6 degrees (111). ORD absolutely owns MLI with maximum temps this year.

Hard to believe MLI has that beat by 6 degrees (111).  ORD absolutely owns MLI with maximum temps this year.

Site location could be a factor. Chicago temps used to be taken much closer to the lake. Some of those super hot days in the past maybe had onshore flow?

The Euro has been indicating some serious heat for a week or more in varying runs. Originally it was this weekend, but that fell apart. It and several models indicate intense heat later next week. Even though it's a bit closer in time than some of the previous runs I'm not buying into it too much yet given the tropical activity in the Gulf. What happens there is still up in the air IMO, and that will likely have a large impact on how the potential heat wave evolves.

That run of the Euro from 120hr and beyond would be absolutely blistering. There is a 'brief' and 'tiny' respite a week from today but then the ridge expands back northward. You know it is a hot run when the 20c line is riding the Canadian border more than not.

ugh...looks like this heat wave is gonna happen, huh guys

Chicago seems to think so

FOR THE LONGER TERM...BY MIDWEEK...THE HEAT SHOULD BEGIN TO RETURN

AS THE SFC HIGH SLIDES OFF TO THE EAST...SETTING UP A RETURN FLOW

WITH INCREASING HEAT AND HUMIDITY. DESPITE THE INCREASING HEAT AND

HUMIDITY...EXPECT LITTLE CHANCE FOR PCPN AS THE UPPER LEVEL PATTERN

BEGINS TO SHOW SOME PROGRESSION WITH THE UPPER RIDGE MOVING

OVERHEAD. SOME OF THE GUIDANCE...IN PARTICULAR THE ECMWF...IS

ADVERTISING A SIGNIFICANT WARMUP BY THURSDAY...WITH THAT PARTICULAR

MODEL SUGGESTING HIGH TEMPS WELL OVER 100F FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY.

WHILE NOT QUITE READY TO JUMP ON TEMPS IN EXCESS OF 100F JUST

YET...HAVE BUMPED UP MAX TEMPS OVER MUCH OF THE GUIDANCE TO THE

MIDDLE TO UPPER 90S.

Last nights run of the Euro was the hottest yet too, same with the GFS.

yep, future looks pretty grim and i'm not too hot on having to count on a crappy disorganized tropical mess to thread the needle.

EDIT: re rain chances in the near term..pretty sure my only shot will be late tonight if the iowa mcs can maintain...pretty confident sunday action will be to my southeast

July 13th, 1995 it was 108F here... Still remember going out on L Onalaska and jumping into water about chest high and it was like jumping into a hot bathtub...not refreshing at all... We didn't stick around long out there in that heat...

Growing up we didn't have AC. I lived through 1988/1995 with no central AC or even a window AC. Sleeping was not fun with nothing more then a window fan.

6z GFS has 850 mb temps of 29c in MKE next week. Wow I can't wait for our first 100 since 1995. ;) ;)

Nice try, looks like the actual temps stay in the 80s most of the week, probably due to clouds and a tad bit of convection in the area on the 6z GFS. Not sure where you're confident in 100s.

Archived