• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Beryl now TD; Landfall 70 mph Jax Bch 12:10 AM 5/28.; TS warnings lifted for S SC to NE FL

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we have another 12 - 18 hour to go before classification. You can see the surface circulation on visible imagery is just starting to make the left hand turn as it starts to interact with the upper level disturbance more fully. As this upper level trough cuts off, we should see 94L merge with the disturbance and that event will probably mark when genesis occurs.

NHC says that 6-20 inches of rain have fallen across different parts of central Cuba, contributing to flooding and mudslides. 9.7 inches of rain in Freeport.

Wow that is impressive, but how does NHC get that information if diplomatic relations with Cuba are so frosty? Not trying to question the validity, just wondering how the information gets through.

Wow that is impressive, but how does NHC get that information if diplomatic relations with Cuba are so frosty? Not trying to question the validity, just wondering how the information gets through.

Scientific relations between the two countries are actually pretty good. Cuba even lets us invade their airspace occasionally with the Hurricane Hunters

Scientific relations between the two countries are actually pretty good. Cuba even lets us invade their airspace occasionally with the Hurricane Hunters

Charley was the first storm I can remember Cuba letting the USAFR hurricane hunters fly in Cuban airspace. I don't know what changed, but remembered being blown away by the lat/long in the RECCO ob. Prior to that, Cuba would allow the civilian NOAA WP-3Ds to fly missions in Cuban airspace, I guess because they aren't military.

Chavez in Venezuela has taken to being a d*ck about Hurricane Hunter missions near Venezuela. May have been Ivan, can't remember last storm that tracked close enough to Venezuela to matter.

Charley was the first storm I can remember Cuba letting the USAFR hurricane hunters fly in Cuban airspace.

Actually the first time was during Hurricane Georges in 1998 when 2 WP-3's and a G-IV were allowed to fly over Cuban airspace.

Actually the first time was during Hurricane Georges in 1998 when 2 WP-3's and a G-IV were allowed to fly over Cuban airspace.

Left out of quote....

Prior to that, Cuba would allow the civilian NOAA WP-3Ds to fly missions in Cuban airspace, I guess because they aren't military.

If you quoted (or bothered to read) the whole comment, you'd notice I mentioned USAFR WC-130s, and very specifically mentioned NOAA WP-3Ds being allowed to enter Cuban airspace.

And I'll repeat, the first time I recall a United States Air Force (ie, US military) plane in Cuban airspace was Charley.

Chavez in Venezuela has taken to being a d*ck about Hurricane Hunter missions near Venezuela. May have been Ivan, can't remember last storm that tracked close enough to Venezuela to matter.

Venezuela was also keen on preventing any PREDICT G-IV missions from entered their airspace, which resulted in some unconventional flight patterns for pre-Karl and pre-Matthew.

Charley was the first storm I can remember Cuba letting the USAFR hurricane hunters fly in Cuban airspace. I don't know what changed, but remembered being blown away by the lat/long in the RECCO ob. Prior to that, Cuba would allow the civilian NOAA WP-3Ds to fly missions in Cuban airspace, I guess because they aren't military.

Are you onboard with this storm yet? inquiring minds need to know.

Now with every frame the circulation is becoming more evident on visible. Pressures have also lowered quite significantly as well in the area over the past six hours.

The current 10m wind analysis also shows that the western portion of the circulation is really starting to wrap around as the system interacts with an upper-level feature (as Phil previously mentioned)

Could see this being tagged by early tomorrow morning

grearth2012-05-2515-36-08-04.png

Wouldn't be surprised to see 94l get her act together tonight fairly rapidly. Although it looks like the models are seeing a fairly tight system, won't see many big rainfall totals unless you are close to landfall.

Are you onboard with this storm yet? inquiring minds need to know.

I guess so. Normally a 40 knot-ish STS would be completely "meh", but pre-season, and a 3 day holiday weekend landfall, I'm mildly interested.

Euro has been generally consistent, so I guess so.

Archived