• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
SNE BANTER BANTER BANTER BANTER

Mr Torchey

Interesting viewpoints. I lean toward the MRG position. The storm of 2/22-23/2009 dropped a bit over 2' at my place, but was awesome for dumping 18" in 7.5 hr and 9" in 2:45. The AUG area got 12" of paste with significant power outages, though nothing like last Oct in SNE. Much happier with what I had, especially since it fell atop 27" snowpack and pushed the depth over 50" for a few hours until the post-storm settling brought it down.

By the alternative position, I should be wishing for another Jan 1998. Admittedly, it remains the most memorable single wx event of my experience, but for a number of reasons (not least my vocation in forestry), I would far rather have the 20-25" that fell in N.Maine from that storm than a repeat of the ice.

To each their own, as the cliche goes.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As usual, and per MRG standard operating procedure, this vastly under-states what happened in CT... however I do agree that seeing a wet, heavy snowfall in October isn't all that unusual (in the grand scheme of things), however seeing 30" of dry fluffy snow is something I've never even heard of being possible in October. Not even out in the Rockies, and nothing remotely close to that in the normal fluff upslope region of the northern Greens or lake effect areas of NY State.

That's why I think in terms of historical precedence, getting belly-button deep fluff in October is likely the winner. I mean, October 4, 1987 struck a month earlier than last fall's storm and also had amounts of 12-18" from Albany to Worcester and CT. It closed a 26 mile stretch of I-90 through the Berkshires and left folks in Albany/Eastern NY and western MA without power for up to 2 weeks.

To be honest, I'm not sure it ever really snows down there. I think most of the pics are photoshopped or something. I remember the 1987 storm very well as I was living just north of Gt. Barrington with elevation. We got totally nailed, tons of damage. It was back in the 60's just a day or two later. The waist deep early season runs were awesome, fortunately the bottom foot was actually a bit wetter and denser which kept you from bottoming out.

To be honest, I'm not sure it ever really snows down there. I think most of the pics are photoshopped or something. I remember the 1987 storm very well as I was living just north of Gt. Barrington with elevation. We got totally nailed, tons of damage. It was back in the 60's just a day or two later. The waist deep early season runs were awesome, fortunately the bottom foot was actually a bit wetter and denser which kept you from bottoming out.

sounds like a personal issue

Day 1 complete. The boys are enjoying good weather at the start of the expedition. Hope it holds.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FAIRBANKS AK

318 PM AKDT WED MAY 23 2012

THE FORECAST FOR THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF DENALI PARK IS

COVERED BY THE DENALI ZONE FORECAST FOUND ONLINE AT

HTTP://PAFG.ARH.NOAA.GOV/ZONEFCST.PHP?ZONE=AKZ225 (ALL LOWER CASE EXCEPT AKZ225)

FLYING WEATHER FOR DENALI IS AT

HTTP://AAWU.ARH.NOAA.GOV/DENALI.PHP (ALL LOWER CASE)

ALTITUDE FORECAST...

WIND SPEEDS ABOVE 14 THOUSAND FEET ARE FREE AIR.

TEMPERATURES ARE FAHRENHEIT.

SYNOPSIS...HIGH PRESSURE EAST OF THE MOUNTAIN WILL REMAIN

NEARLY STATIONARY THROUGH FRIDAY.

...7 THOUSAND FEET TO 14 THOUSAND FEET...

...WIND SPEEDS LESS THAN 20 MPH ARE NOT INCLUDED...

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY.

LOW AT 14 THOUSAND FEET...5 BELOW.

.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY.

HIGH AT 14 THOUSAND FEET...5 ABOVE.

...ABOVE 14 THOUSAND FEET...

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY.

LOW AT 17 THOUSAND FEET...15 BELOW.

WINDS FROM 17 THOUSAND FEET TO THE SUMMIT...SOUTH 20 MPH.

.THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW.

HIGH AT 17 THOUSAND FEET...5 BELOW.

WINDS FROM 17 THOUSAND FEET TO THE SUMMIT...SOUTHEAST 20 MPH.

.OUTLOOK FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SUMMIT WINDS VARIABLE 10 MPH

OR LESS.

SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. SUMMIT WINDS VARIABLE 10 MPH OR LESS.

Lol, i got like 8" less than you and parts of ct were like 1-2" less, you're a bozo. TOTALLY UNPREPARED MASSACHUSETTS GOT LIKE AN INCH IN TAUNTON.

Can't we all just get along....for snowfall, GC was the winner. For impact, CT wins.

8-14+" of wet paste made for an actual disaster in CT. Many affluent towns around Hartford were without power, without atm's, and had very little gas to go around. It definitely showed a lot of people what it means to be unprepared. Woodstock got hammered pretty hard too, but I was fortunate that I could drive 15 miles or so to places that just got a couple inches and no real damage. Folks in the Farmington/Avon and surrounding areas (like Tolland) were stuck. No power, stores were closed, and stores that were open were often cash only, which was also hard to get.

Compare that to a couple feet in GC. It was an historical event up there. But folks up there just plowed and enjoyed (as even we lowlanders can do when there aren't trees and wires down everywhere).

Can't we all just get along....for snowfall, GC was the winner. For impact, CT wins.

8-14+" of wet paste made for an actual disaster in CT. Many affluent towns around Hartford were without power, without atm's, and had very little gas to go around. It definitely showed a lot of people what it means to be unprepared. Woodstock got hammered pretty hard too, but I was fortunate that I could drive 15 miles or so to places that just got a couple inches and no real damage. Folks in the Farmington/Avon and surrounding areas (like Tolland) were stuck. No power, stores were closed, and stores that were open were often cash only, which was also hard to get.

Compare that to a couple feet in GC. It was an historical event up there. But folks up there just plowed and enjoyed (as even we lowlanders can do when there aren't trees and wires down everywhere).

Was a joke, i just like to downplay Petes snowfall

Based on these comments, I guess we can all agree that we got the type of snow storm each of us likes. Those of us who like real snow got to play gleefully in it. Those who like the type of snow that typically comes in areas that pelt/mix got their changeover from rain to wet snow.

I'm happy for where I am. This is about 3 hours into the October storm.

LOL. but what the hell do they look like?

the long thin license plates???? From Europe?? They are all over the place here, mostly on bmw's and mercedes and jaguars, ugghhhhh I have to stop talking about it, dont want to be stressed out to start the day.

By the way, sun coming out, marine layer thin, surprised with the east flow but will take it!

the long thin license plates???? From Europe?? They are all over the place here, mostly on bmw's and mercedes and jaguars, ugghhhhh I have to stop talking about it, dont want to be stressed out to start the day.

By the way, sun coming out, marine layer thin, surprised with the east flow but will take it!

Oh...I know what you mean. Those are German or something like that. I've seen those.

Guess you missed the rockets hit all over the field part, I think there were two errors all night. Your AAU experience must have been when you were younger and in leg shape, judging by your ski posts about dead legs things have changed quickly in your life.

Rockets all over the field? Dont you guys use 200' fences lol? It's okay, I played on that size field.

When I was 11. Also I squatted 315 for reps the other day. Guess you missed the part where I had to stop skiing cause I have a bad ankle, not cause i was fatigued. Now now, back to your room...theyre looking for you! ;)

Rockets all over the field? Dont you guys use 200' fences lol? It's okay, I played on that size field.

When I was 11. Also I squatted 315 for reps the other day. Guess you missed the part where I had to stop skiing cause I have a bad ankle, not cause i was fatigued. Now now, back to your room...theyre looking for you! ;)

Should you be squatting with a bad ankle?

You are clueless , open fields or 310 fences. I have women including my daughter hitting 270+ with regularity. At the Beast? good try bud

You are clueless , open fields or 310 fences. I have women including my daughter hitting 270+ with regularity. At the Beast? good try bud

ya i played at a nice field with 310' fences. some guys on my team cleared 350 and one guy in the league hit the thing close to 400 feet (softball). my max is about 320 when i really get a good leg drive and hip turn .....they sure do hate it when your team has 2 homeruns (per game) and you use one up with a solo shot in the 1'st or 2'nd inning. lol

You were cryin' because your legs were burning. Squats won't do squat. Get on the mountain bike, set up a slack line, run x-country. We'd have to leave your Joey Jockbreath azz behind for the polar bears to eat.

Good to be home. Spent extraordinary amounts of cash so far though unfortunately. $1200 on car repairs. Brand new laptop. Hit the RMV to get my 21+ license. Went to a Chinatown club last night and got hammered in the wallet for $6 a beer. Insane as you get older, the more you realize how fast money disappears.

Other than that, nice to put the feet up. Took a week off from working out to let my high ankle sprain from a month ago really heal up, and some pinched nerve in my lower back we causing parts of my back to go numb. One year of football really put some miles on me already.

Weather has been beautiful and so much more interesting then down south. Seabreeze and cooler weather here in Southie really is a fantastic touch that I missed. Looking forward to mid 80's this weekend.

Good to be home. Spent extraordinary amounts of cash so far though unfortunately. $1200 on car repairs. Brand new laptop. Hit the RMV to get my 21+ license. Went to a Chinatown club last night and got hammered in the wallet for $6 a beer. Insane as you get older, the more you realize how fast money disappears.

Other than that, nice to put the feet up. Took a week off from working out to let my high ankle sprain from a month ago really heal up, and some pinched nerve in my lower back we causing parts of my back to go numb. One year of football really put some miles on me already.

Weather has been beautiful and so much more interesting then down south. Seabreeze and cooler weather here in Southie really is a fantastic touch that I missed. Looking forward to mid 80's this weekend.

Why not get an ipad instead of an antiquated laptop?

Archived