• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
SNE BANTER BANTER BANTER BANTER

Mr Torchey

CT people - I wrote and produced a 15 minute tornado special that's airing tonight at 11pm.

We met up with many of the same people we interviewed right after the Mass tornado to see how they're doing 1 year later. We also have a pretty cool look back at tornadoes that have hit CT in the past.

Great job! :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, right, I mean he makes it sound like Tolland was the jackpot. We eclipsed his total before sunset.

That event was a great one. I remember right out of the gate, you, Mitch and I (probably Chris too) were posting every 15 mintues how we couldn't believe that it was snowing even harder than our prior posts. It was totally insane. I had seen snow like that once before when we got 24" in about 9-10 hours in 00-01 (I think). I reall hope I don't need to wait anohter ten years to see it again and can instead thinkg ahead to six months from now.

That event was a great one. I remember right out of the gate, you, Mitch and I (probably Chris too) were posting every 15 mintues how we couldn't believe that it was snowing even harder than our prior posts. It was totally insane. I had seen snow like that once before when we got 24" in about 9-10 hours in 00-01 (I think). I reall hope I don't need to wait anohter ten years to see it again and can instead thinkg ahead to six months from now.

I remember I was putting storm windows up and just as I was finishing the first flakes started flying. Before I had time to put the ladders away it was dumping. The grass was covered immediately and the thumping just didn't stop. The intensity kept ratcheting up. We were all giddy, except for Scooter, he threatened us with a nuke attack.

I remember I was putting storm windows up and just as I was finishing the first flakes started flying. Before I had time to put the ladders away it was dumping. The grass was covered immediately and the thumping just didn't stop. The intensity kept ratcheting up. We were all giddy, except for Scooter, he threatened us with a nuke attack.

Yep, still pointed at you.

LOL, right, I mean he makes it sound like Tolland was the jackpot. We eclipsed his total before sunset.

I much preferred whatI had from that storm than what you had. I had a foot of paste that caused massive tree and pwoerline damage with high water content snow while you had boring powder. You got more sure..I had a much more exciting storm..so once again me FTW

I much preferred whatI had from that storm than what you had. I had a foot of paste that caused massive tree and pwoerline damage with high water content snow while you had boring powder. You got more sure..I had a much more exciting storm..so once again me FTW

My fluff is better than yours, lol.

I'm usually torn... I love what a powder storm looks like. Just 1-3"/hr pounding flakes the size of half-dollars or larger. Floating down and stacking up high. Of course if I had my way, we'd get plenty of dense synoptic snowstorms with some weight, then several big fluff storms from orographics and meso-scale processes.

But this stuff is beautiful... here's a photo from WFO BTV during the big Jan 1-3, 2010 blitz which dropped 37.6" of orographic induced fluff on Burlington. Almost 40" of snow fell from under 1.5" of liquid ;)

figure9.png

Please, you're insane. Got more? Take your slushy 10" add another 10" to that and then for good measure stack another foot on top. Yeah we got more, that's for sure. While you got to huddle in your powerless house, unwashed for days, I got to ski waist deep early season POW POW. You know you were green with envy knowing that once again GC smoked your doors off in the snowfall dept. You preferred your 8" of barely frozen rain to a 30-40" bomb that ripped intense snowfall rates for hours? Pffft. Probably more like 4".

Please, you're insane. Got more? Take your slushy 10" add another 10" to that and then for good measure stack another foot on top. Yeah we got more, that's for sure. While you got to huddle in your powerless house, unwashed for days, I got to ski waist deep early season POW POW. You know you were green with envy knowing that once again GC smoked your doors off in the snowfall dept. You preferred your 8" of barely frozen rain to a 30-40" bomb that ripped intense snowfall rates for hours? Pffft. Probably more like 4".

Honest dude..If given the choice of that storm again and what you had vs what I had..I would take mine in a heartbeat . EVERY SINGLE TIME. I much,much prefer heavy wet snowstorms . What makes my argument even more cemented is the fact that is was October so we all knew all the snow would melt soon afterwards..so snowpack retention didn't matter..So while it gave you much more to tack on for your seasonal total..it gave me a top storm of my lifetime, and one I will always cherish and remember..and hope something like it can happen again someday.

Honest dude..If given the choice of that storm again and what you had vs what I had..I would take mine in a heartbeat . EVERY SINGLE TIME. I much,much prefer heavy wet snowstorms . What makes my argument even more cemented is the fact that is was October so we all knew all the snow would melt soon afterwards..so snowpack retention didn't matter..So while it gave you much more to tack on for your seasonal total..it gave me a top storm of my lifetime, and one I will always cherish and remember..and hope something like it can happen again someday.

24-36" in GC merits a top storm rating. That it came in October as a beautiful powder is even more mind-numbing.

66.9/63

I think most people would..If it was Dec or Jan and we were talking snowpack retention or record snowfall for the winter..then maybe the powder would be a bit more desirable..but gun to my head I'd still choose a Telephone Pole Toppler...

I agree. We'll always see 24-30" of snow in our lifetime. Chances are, you will never witness what you saw first hand...ever again.

I agree. We'll always see 24-30" of snow in our lifetime. Chances are, you will never witness what you saw first hand...ever again.

Exactly.. It was a once in a lifetime event to get exactly a foot of snow on trees that still had at least 1/4-1/2 leaves. Anyone in their right mind that is into weather would take that over a meh 24 inch powder event..which happens once every 5-15 yrs.esp. in West Central Mass where they live.

Just like MRG and Will would take another damaging icestorm like they had over a 33 degree cold 2 inch rainstorm

Exactly.. It was a once in a lifetime event to get exactly a foot of snow on trees that still had at least 1/4-1/2 leaves. Anyone in their right mind that is into weather would take that over a meh 24 inch powder event..which happens once every 5-15 yrs.esp. in West Central Mass where they live.

Just like MRG and Will would take another damaging icestorm like they had over a 33 degree cold 2 inch rainstorm

As much as I would be concerned for my home...the weenie/met inside would love it. There is something about awe that gets the adrenaline going.

I think I actually agree with MRG with this one.

But I dunno. Damage is fascinating, and 30" of pow won't do any. But 30" of snow is pretty cool. As metnioned though, this will probably happen again (30" storm) but never in October. Never never never in our lifetimes.

I will see storms do damage, whether it be from ice, wind, etc.

Very close call. I was very happy with my 20+" I got

I would choose damage as well.

I think most people would..If it was Dec or Jan and we were talking snowpack retention or record snowfall for the winter..then maybe the powder would be a bit more desirable..but gun to my head I'd still choose a Telephone Pole Toppler...

The two of you are so full of sh*t. The fact that over 30" of champagne fell before Halloween is far more remarkable than a couple slushy inches taking down a few trees and power lines in totally unprepared CT. I mean CT cancels school for flurries in the forecast 3 days out. To watch it just pound heavy snow hour after hour while snacking on Halloween candy is something I'll always remember. Keep telling yourselves that being runner up in the snow derby time after time is how you like it. What a totally silly position to take. PFFFFFT!

I think I actually agree with MRG with this one.

But I dunno. Damage is fascinating, and 30" of pow won't do any. But 30" of snow is pretty cool. As metnioned though, this will probably happen again (30" storm) but never in October. Never never never in our lifetimes.

I will see storms do damage, whether it be from ice, wind, etc.

Very close call. I was very happy with my 20+" I got

Of course, it's so obvious that 30-40" of snow, powder or not, trumps that little coating Tolland got. There is simply no debate. Now, off to the golf course.

Yes but what about 2-3 feet of snow on trees that still have leaves? I saw the pics, it wasn't like there were no trees in western and northern MA. I think being smack dab in the middle of that band of 2-4"/hr snows for 9 hours would be something special. I like heavy snowfall rates more than anything, and seeing as snowpack retention wasn't an issue, I'd take the deepest snow I can find. I know from experience that 30" fluff has the same retention as about 10" of paste (probably about the same 1.5" of QPF, just different flakes), why wouldn't you want to get as much as you possibly can out of that 1.5" of QPF?

I know this is more about no one ever wanting to admit that someone else saw a better event, because if the roles were reversed, Blizz and MRG would still be arguing about the same thing just with each other claiming their backyard event was better. Its just the way it goes.

If its a once in a lifetime event to get a foot of snow with leaves on trees, its probably a once in two lifetimes event to get 30" with leaves still on the trees.

Yes but what about 2-3 feet of snow on trees that still have leaves? I saw the pics, it wasn't like there were no trees in western and northern MA. I think being smack dab in the middle of that band of 2-4"/hr snows for 9 hours would be something special. I like heavy snowfall rates more than anything, and seeing as snowpack retention wasn't an issue, I'd take the deepest snow I can find. I know from experience that 30" fluff has the same retention as about 10" of paste (probably about the same 1.5" of QPF, just different flakes), why wouldn't you want to get as much as you possibly can out of that 1.5" of QPF?

I know this is more about no one ever wanting to admit that someone else saw a better event, because if the roles were reversed, Blizz and MRG would still be arguing about the same thing just with each other claiming their backyard event was better. Its just the way it goes.

If its a once in a lifetime event to get a foot of snow with leaves on trees, its probably a once in two lifetimes event to get 30" with leaves still on the trees.

There was no snow on the trees from the wind in his area.

And he claimed his trees had all lost their leaves my mid-late Septemer..and even posted pictures that were from a different year in late October to prove it

The fact that over 30" of champagne fell before Halloween is far more remarkable than a couple slushy inches taking down a few trees and power lines in totally unprepared CT.

As usual, and per MRG standard operating procedure, this vastly under-states what happened in CT... however I do agree that seeing a wet, heavy snowfall in October isn't all that unusual (in the grand scheme of things), however seeing 30" of dry fluffy snow is something I've never even heard of being possible in October. Not even out in the Rockies, and nothing remotely close to that in the normal fluff upslope region of the northern Greens or lake effect areas of NY State.

That's why I think in terms of historical precedence, getting belly-button deep fluff in October is likely the winner. I mean, October 4, 1987 struck a month earlier than last fall's storm and also had amounts of 12-18" from Albany to Worcester and CT. It closed a 26 mile stretch of I-90 through the Berkshires and left folks in Albany/Eastern NY and western MA without power for up to 2 weeks.

We will have another heavy, wet October snowstorm with horrific damage... but you won't get 30" of powder in October.

From the NY Times on the October 4, 1987 storm:

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=all&src=pm

"The earliest snowstorm on record struck New York, Connecticut and other parts of New England yesterday, burying some areas in more than a foot of snow that closed roads and airports, knocked out power to more than 300,000 homes and turned russet autumn to wintry solitude.

The storm - an Oct. 4 marvel caused by a collision of cold and soggy air masses - was the earliest in the region since the Army Signal Corps began keeping weather records in 1870. It eclipsed one that blew in on Oct. 10, 1925, and it even toppled the 150-year-old unofficial record - a blizzard that almanackers say hit on Oct. 6, 1836.

Coastal areas of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut were lashed by cold rain but were spared by temperatures in the 40's from the snow that fell heavily over a wide band of colder mountains and hills in the Northeast. #20 Inches in New York The National Weather Service reported snow accumulations of up to 20 inches in upstate New York, 18 inches in western Massachusetts, 12 inches in Vermont and 9 inches in Connecticut. The northwest corner of New Jersey had 3 inches."

A 12-inch wet, heavy snowfall in October will happen again in New England and Eastern New York... while the widespread 20"+ amounts in northern MA, western MA, NH, E.NY and NW CT probably is not nearly as likely.

I remember that storm from my HS days. Opened up a couple VT ski areas I believe.

The two of you are so full of sh*t. The fact that over 30" of champagne fell before Halloween is far more remarkable than a couple slushy inches taking down a few trees and power lines in totally unprepared CT.

Lol, i got like 8" less than you and parts of ct were like 1-2" less, you're a bozo. TOTALLY UNPREPARED MASSACHUSETTS GOT LIKE AN INCH IN TAUNTON.

Archived