amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
SNE BANTER BANTER BANTER BANTER

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this mountain talk reminds me of my summer of 1982 ascent on Mt Whitney, 14,495. We started at Whitney Portal about 8500 ft. While the trail up to the summitt is well traveled, getting hit by a storm at 12,500 almost cost us our lives. We got to a place to pitch tents where there were gazillions of marmots, One of the 3 of us opted out. The next day my friend and I nailed the summitt. Over 10,000'ft your head hurts when you hve no acclimation time. Above 14k you literally wheeze as if you have emphysema. Once we nailed the summitt, we hiked all the way down and drove to LA...same day.

Yup, once your a few miles up it's a whole new ballgame. Strong mpove on the summit Jerry. Good times you'll always remember. Nice.

Looks like the boys will be enjoying beautiful Spring conditions on the mountain the next few days. The notable absence of high winds is the best news.

MOUNT MCKINLEY RECREATIONAL FORECAST

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FAIRBANKS AK

525 PM AKDT MON MAY 21 2012

THE FORECAST FOR THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF DENALI PARK IS

COVERED BY THE DENALI ZONE FORECAST FOUND ONLINE AT

HTTP://PAFG.ARH.NOAA.GOV/ZONEFCST.PHP?ZONE=AKZ225 (ALL LOWER CASE EXCEPT AKZ225)

FLYING WEATHER FOR DENALI IS AT

HTTP://AAWU.ARH.NOAA.GOV/DENALI.PHP (ALL LOWER CASE)

ALTITUDE FORECAST...

WIND SPEEDS ABOVE 14 THOUSAND FEET ARE FREE AIR.

TEMPERATURES ARE FAHRENHEIT.

SYNOPSIS...HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING NORTH AND EAST OF THE MOUNTAIN

WILL PERSIST THROUGH FRIDAY. AFTERNOON AND EVENING SNOW SHOWERS

ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE LOWER ELEVATIONS. WEATHER DISTURBANCES

MOVING NORTH AND AROUND THE RIDGE MAY PRODUCE SNOW AT TIMES FROM

LATE WEDNESDAY INTO FRIDAY.

...7 THOUSAND FEET TO 14 THOUSAND FEET...

...WIND SPEEDS LESS THAN 20 MPH ARE NOT INCLUDED...

.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SOME EVENING SNOW SHOWERS BELOW

12 THOUSANT FEET. SNOW ACCUMULATION LESS THAN 6 INCHES.

LOW AT 14 THOUSAND FEET...ZERO.

.TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH

AFTERNOON SHOW SHOWERS BELOW 12 THOUSAND FEET. SNOW ACCUMULATION LESS

THAN 6 INCHES.

HIGH AT 14 THOUSAND FEET...5 ABOVE.

...ABOVE 14 THOUSAND FEET...

.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY.

LOW AT 17 THOUSAND FEET...15 BELOW.

WINDS FROM 17 THOUSAND FEET TO THE SUMMIT...SOUTHEAST 20 MPH.

.TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY.

HIGH AT 17 THOUSAND FEET...10 BELOW.

WINDS FROM 17 THOUSAND FEET TO THE SUMMIT...SOUTHEAST 20 MPH.

.OUTLOOK WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY...CHANCE OF SNOW FROM LATE

WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY. SUMMIT WINDS...SOUTHEAST AROUND 20 MPH.

$$

Looks like the boys will be enjoying beautiful Spring conditions on the mountain the next few days. The notable absence of high winds is the best news.

MOUNT MCKINLEY RECREATIONAL FORECAST

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FAIRBANKS AK

525 PM AKDT MON MAY 21 2012

THE FORECAST FOR THE LOWER ELEVATIONS OF DENALI PARK IS

COVERED BY THE DENALI ZONE FORECAST FOUND ONLINE AT

HTTP://PAFG.ARH.NOAA.GOV/ZONEFCST.PHP?ZONE=AKZ225 (ALL LOWER CASE EXCEPT AKZ225)

FLYING WEATHER FOR DENALI IS AT

HTTP://AAWU.ARH.NOAA.GOV/DENALI.PHP (ALL LOWER CASE)

ALTITUDE FORECAST...

WIND SPEEDS ABOVE 14 THOUSAND FEET ARE FREE AIR.

TEMPERATURES ARE FAHRENHEIT.

AFTERNOON AND EVENING SNOW SHOWERS

ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE LOWER ELEVATIONS.

...7 THOUSAND FEET TO 14 THOUSAND FEET...

...WIND SPEEDS LESS THAN 20 MPH ARE NOT INCLUDED...

.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SOME EVENING SNOW SHOWERS BELOW

12 THOUSAND FEET. SNOW ACCUMULATION LESS THAN 6 INCHES.

LOW AT 14 THOUSAND FEET...ZERO.

.TUESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH

AFTERNOON SHOW SHOWERS BELOW 12 THOUSAND FEET. SNOW ACCUMULATION LESS

THAN 6 INCHES.

HIGH AT 14 THOUSAND FEET...5 ABOVE.

The italic part is awesome... how often do you see snow showers possible JUST at the lower elevations with nothing in the higher elevations. I like the "Snow Showers below 12 Thousand Feet" part.

I have to imagine it has to do with orographic lift and lowering nighttime inversion... we deal with that in this part of the Greens at night (on a very minor scale compared to there) when the inversion comes down at night, that's when we get the majority of our 1-4" snowfalls during Dec/Jan. You get moisture trapped under the inversion and it gets wrung out by the mountains. Then during the day the inversion rises and the moisture can sneak through again without producing flakes.

Very, very cool to see how that's worded in a forecast though.

Ahh, the mega death band that re-generated over us hour after hour. Man, can't wait until the flakes fly.

That was absolutely beautiful to watch (and painful since I wasn't in Keene). Classically aligned with insane mid level frontogenesis.

Radarloop.gif

By the way, off to Alaska on Friday!

That was absolutely beautiful to watch (and painful since I wasn't in Keene). Classically aligned with insane mid level frontogenesis.

Radarloop.gif

I remember Ryan laughing saying I was in a dryslot, but the reason I got 12 inches was because I was right on the edge of the light/mod snow snows..and the dryslot never reached me..That radar clearly shows the dryslot stayed just to the SE of me. It cleaerly lightened up..but thwre wss def no dryslot over me

I remember Ryan laughing saying I was in a dryslot, but the reason I got 12 inches was because I was right on the edge of the light/mod snow snows..and the dryslot never reached me..That radar clearly shows the dryslot stayed just to the SE of me. It cleaerly lightened up..but thwre wss def no dryslot over me

Might as well have been a dryslot compared to what was happening just to the west ;)

Definitely had some dry air penetrating in there somewhere or subsidence from that band.

The family lakehouse on the North Woodstock/Union border (near Bigelow State Park) definitely shut off for an hour or so... or at least went to snow grains or the drizzle equivalent of snow.

Yeah, you were right on the edge there. Good enough to maintain light snow at least. Also you got a quick pounding as the band collapsed east over you.

CT people - I wrote and produced a 15 minute tornado special that's airing tonight at 11pm.

We met up with many of the same people we interviewed right after the Mass tornado to see how they're doing 1 year later. We also have a pretty cool look back at tornadoes that have hit CT in the past.

CT people - I wrote and produced a 15 minute tornado special that's airing tonight at 11pm.

We met up with many of the same people we interviewed right after the Mass tornado to see how they're doing 1 year later. We also have a pretty cool look back at tornadoes that have hit CT in the past.

Ryan Spielburg

Great, - nao summer to ruin this season for Kevin now too -

I'd love a summer of like -5F departures.... daytime highs of 75-82F mixed with some 60s and rain. It would be nice to get some below normal months going just to prove we can still go colder than 30-year climo.

Congrats Sam, I'm so psyched for you!! I'll be looking forward to hearing your findings on extreme wind events in the Turnagain. Have fun and live large up there my friend, these are your salad days!!!

Well you were compared to areas just west of you lol

LOL, right, I mean he makes it sound like Tolland was the jackpot. We eclipsed his total before sunset.

Lol yeah all of the Farmington Valley that he describes as such a horrible place to live was ripping S+ while he was spitting snow grains.

Archived