northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May observations and discussions...

ag3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday right now looks like a mostly cloudy day with misty type weather. Steadier rain moves in later in the day. After 18z.

I fear the same, but not as bad as last saturday. Then more rain chances next week.. Still think we get more prolonged above normal on/around the 19

It might be premature but I think Saturday could potentially be our last <50 degree reading until the fall. That would be on par with the past 2 years while 2009 saw a 49 degree reading on June 1st in EWR (50 at Central Park).

On the other hand in 2008 we saw daytime temps in the upper 40s around the 3rd week of May so we probably have a couple weeks to go.

Should be easier to hit 80 from now on though right, especially with the average high now around 70-71F So at least Saturday we could hit 80. As far as a 90F this May, I don't see it as of now, probably not enough of a ridge to pump up those heights to see 90F, maybe around Memorial weekend, we could get something.

51 degrees..... really chilly with the breeze out there... I've been so busy.. have not been able to post much but that cell that sat over Rockland county yesterday was just a few miles away. I could see pitch black to my north.

Only 51?? Never fails in Rockland.. lol

40/33 making a run at freezing just to your north..

I do not think mostly cloudy with a wind and temps in the low 60s is beautiful at all

If it was during the winter I'd enjoy this type of weather more, but it's already the middle of spring, by now I would prefer an 80 degree sunny day over a 60 degree cloudy/windy day.

Where the heck are the thunderstorms? The pattern over the next 10 days shows classic North Pacific retrogression as the Alaskan low moves toward the Aleutians. Models are developing a nice trough in the NW and a growing ridge over the central states.

Perhaps things can get interesting in a "ring of fire" sense, Northwestly disturbances, MCS etc. as we move deeper into late May.

So far this is a lamest spring I've seen in a while. Usually there is something by this point.

/complaining/imby. :)

Where the heck are the thunderstorms? The pattern over the next 10 days shows classic North Pacific retrogression as the Alaskan low moves toward the Aleutians. Models are developing a nice trough in the NW and a growing ridge over the central states.

Perhaps things can get interesting in a "ring of fire" sense, Northwestly disturbances, MCS etc. as we move deeper into late May.

So far this is a lamest spring I've seen in a while. Usually there is something by this point.

/complaining/imby. :)

Monday - wed looks convective, but I know what you mean

Monday - wed looks convective, but I know what you mean

I suppose this pattern could become "worthy of waiting" if the central US ridge expands during JJA and puts us in a nice spot for the kind of pattern I described above. Of course, as the summer progresses, this could leave a nasty upper low over the Northeast somewhere mid-summer. But that would of course be a new agent for thunderstorms for someone.

I think severe weather and thunderstorms in general are pretty uncommon this early. I mean we've had a few rounds of nighttime/morning storms that weren't severe but we haven't had the heat yet to really get an outbreak going.

You are definitely correct that our season, especially near NYC/coast, is the summer. I dont have a mean state or anything like that based on reports but here was April 2012:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/1204_summary.html

Don't even bother checking May yet since there hasn't be any severe weather for the entire Northeast. April was quite drab outside of a couple of a wind reports in SE PA from a late evening "squall line." The lack of anything in VA/MD is pretty astounding. Usually there is a couple of events, especially for the VA-NY (interior) sections and perhaps a few isolated reports even into New England.

18z NAM is even more widespread with the 80s on Sunday than the 12z NAM was.

temp48.gif

As long as there's not a lot of clouds on Sunday afternoon perhaps 85 degrees may be within reach west/SW of the city. There's SW winds and H85 temps near 11-12C, supportive of 80s, although cloud cover will limit how warm it will get.

Archived