joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vermont Key City Marathon -Wx and disco thread

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What will the wx be like Mem Day weekend?

I'm guessing climo up there is mid-upper70's by then.

Last year I heard it was muggy and close to 90.

This year..I'm thinking 75-80 and sunny.

Thoughts?

Check the new accuweather 45 day forecast for trends.

I believe last year it was more in the low to mid 70's but there was rain right at the beginning and the dews were around 70 so it was deceptively brutal.

Last year's race was May 29.

High was 81, low 68 .20 of rain with 2.5 inches in the preceding 3 days. Lake was at record depth so they had to reroute part of the last few miles to avoid flooding.

Here are some race reviews.

http://www.marathong...m?MIDD=28120527

And the May forecast ^_^

http://www.accuweath...-weather/331220

I believe last year it was more in the low to mid 70's but there was rain right at the beginning and the dews were around 70 so it was deceptively brutal.

Last year's race was May 29.

High was 81, low 68 .20 of rain with 2.5 inches in the preceding 3 days. Lake was at record depth so they had to reroute part of the last few miles to avoid flooding.

Here are some race reviews.

http://www.marathong...m?MIDD=28120527

And the May forecast ^_^

http://www.accuweath...-weather/331220

I've talked to a few people around here that ran it last year..One of the guys told me it was near 90 and incredibly humid..so he wasn't far off. Last thing we want is high dews. He said it rained early and then the sun came out.

With the drought this year,,it seems like we won;t have to worry about high humidity thankfully

LOL some real sob stories in there. Running in high humidity is no joke..If it's 90 but dry it's ok..but 70/70 is brutal..I would never quit though unless injured..but that's just me

I was in the LA Collisseum when Ingrid Kristiansen nearly lost her life in the 1984 Olympics Women's Marathon won by Joan Benoit. It's good to have the no quit mantra but don't let it override reasonable judgement

Be thankful for the 6th largest lake in the U.S. that's still only 45F right next to the course. Could be 90F at the airport and 65-75F on the Bike Path on the immediate lakeshore ;)

I still remember freshman year at UVM having it be 80-90F on campus away from the lake up on the hill, and rushing down to enjoy the warmth on the beach in May... only to have the girls be putting on sweatshirts because its in the 50s and 60s right next to the water. Amazing refridgerator effect.

Yeah won't be 90.

All depends on SFC winds... if its SSE or any sort of easterly component, you'll see no immediate cooling effect. West will cool and anything NW will really turn on the air conditioner... SW is hit or miss because the lake is pretty narrow south of BTV so it doesn't have the same effect as a westerly or northerly type flow where the fetch is more like 7-10 miles + depending on angle.

The course will have a big range of temperatures as it always does though depending on how far from the lake you are... I'm telling ya the Rec Path portion that is literally feet from the water will feel refreshing no matter what, but once you get into the city and South Burlington it'll probably be 15F warmer for that portion of the run.

But anyway, I think dews will make the most difference either way. I'd focus on that instead of pure temp... 70/69F would be more uncomfortable to me than 85/50F.

All depends on SFC winds... if its SSE or any sort of easterly component, you'll see no immediate cooling effect. West will cool and anything NW will really turn on the air conditioner... SW is hit or miss because the lake is pretty narrow south of BTV so it doesn't have the same effect as a westerly or northerly type flow where the fetch is more like 7-10 miles + depending on angle.

The course will have a big range of temperatures as it always does though depending on how far from the lake you are... I'm telling ya the Rec Path portion that is literally feet from the water will feel refreshing no matter what, but once you get into the city and South Burlington it'll probably be 15F warmer for that portion of the run.

But anyway, I think dews will make the most difference either way. I'd focus on that instead of pure temp... 70/69F would be more uncomfortable to me than 85/50F.

wow .....very interesting to note that the lake effects temps soo dramatically in the area....and esp. during parts of the course for this race.

this could be a KFS nightmare to nail down....850's could be 14C but west or wnw could have temps in the 60's by the lake for a good portion of the race? or just a mile or two

Archived