• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vermont Key City Marathon -Wx and disco thread

Damage In Tolland

That's my whole point. Of course it will be warm...it's freaking Memorial Weekend. But it won't be 90 at 9am. It can hit 110 at 4pm..who cares by that point. These over the top plumes may not be all that humid too. Hopefully dews near or just under 60.

Haha yeah...race organizers aren't stupid. There's a reason they don't run these things starting at 2pm and end at 5-6pm.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh God. Don't tweet them.

Why? They need to be aware and make runners aware now to prepare. Absolutley need to hype this up.

Who cares if it's run in the morning..Heat is heat and with dews near 70, that is life threatening. People that don;t run obviously don't understand judging by some of the posts. No biggie.

Why? They need to be aware and make runners aware now to prepare. Absolutley need to hype this up.

Who cares if it's run in the morning..Heat is heat and with dews near 70, that is life threatening. People that don;t run obviously don't understand judging by some of the posts. No biggie.

You are mentally psyching yourself out, why bother it's ten days away.

:whistle:

I've been pretty steadfast about it not being that bad for you...still feel that way. I'd say dry right now with temps rising through the 70s by noontime. Maybe high 70s to near 80...but could be a real nice start to the morning. Two possible ways to screw it up. 1) Some sort of weak low rides along the front to give you rain. 2) front stalls and hovers overhead. The 2nd option still wouldn't be bad with cloud cover but dews could be higher.

Still a lot of question marks for Sunday's wx..Will the front get hung up north of New Eng, will it be south..will it be hot..will t be humid, cloudy, sunny..noone seems to know

Only as good as the model data at that time range.

For the record, Coastalwx has been steadfast for like 10-14 days now it seems, lol. I'm not sure how he does it, but he's been saying like 75-82F during run time for a long time. That could be an amazing call from like two weeks ago.

Only as good as the model data at that time range.

For the record, Coastalwx has been steadfast for like 10-14 days now it seems, lol. I'm not sure how he does it, but he's been saying like 75-82F during run time for a long time. That could be an amazing call from like two weeks ago.

LOL, it's just interpreting the models and pattern. When they had a front nearby and given the H5 pattern...it looked like the sultry conditions he was worried about might not happen. It still could bust if the front stalls...hope that it doesn't for the sake of all those runners.

Having a marathon at the end of May is risky

Yeah a bit..but more often than not you'll probably have temps in the 60's or maybe low 70's..esp. for a morning marathon in a northern locale in late May.

What were the dews like out there yesterday?

If you read some of the comments that were posted under that article..it sounds like the people that needed medical help were not or had not trained properly.

I remember how hot I was in Hartford last Oct and it was in the low/mid 50's with 35mph winds out of the NW.

It's really about the dews...at least for me...and how much of it you are running in direct sunlight..All my training is done in the cool and mostly dark early morning hours.

Yeah a bit..but more often than not you'll probably have temps in the 60's or maybe low 70's..esp. for a morning marathon in a northern locale in late May.

What were the dews like out there yesterday?

If you read some of the comments that were posted under that article..it sounds like the people that needed medical help were not or had not trained properly.

I remember how hot I was in Hartford last Oct and it was in the low/mid 50's with 35mph winds out of the NW.

It's really about the dews...at least for me...and how much of it you are running in direct sunlight..All my training is done in the cool and mostly dark early morning hours.

I really think conditions will not be all that oppressive for you. Sure temps in the 50s would be great, but you probably start out in the 60s and maybe head to 80 by noon. Dews probably 50s. Maybe near 60 if front washes out.

It was 90 out there with dews in the high 50s.

I really think conditions will not be all that oppressive for you. Sure temps in the 50s would be great, but you probably start out in the 60s and maybe head to 80 by noon. Dews probably 50s. Maybe near 60 if front washes out.

It was 90 out there with dews in the high 50s.

The funny or maybe scary part is how people were being affected with temps in the 70-80 degree range. I think it will be fine in BTV..Warm yes,, but manageable

Yesterday was a good example of the Lake Champlain cooling effect... you'll be running much closer to the lake than you will to the BTV airport ASOS, so on a day like yesterday, when most of the North Country had highs in the mid/upper 80s, with even some 90+ readings, the Burlington Echo Aquarium at the waterfront park (staging area for the race) had a high of 81F compared with 88F at KBTV.

The lake front Burlington area often has highs similar to the summit of Mansfield this time of year thanks to the lake cooling effect.

24 HOUR MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE DATA IN DEGREES FAHRENHEIT,
FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK, ENDING
7 A.M. EST/EDT MONDAY MAY 21, 2012.

VERMONT

WFO BURLINGTON VT............88
COLCHESTER REEF..............82
BURLINGTON ECHO CENTER.......81
MT MANSFIELD (NEAR SUMMIT)...77

Note how the two waterfront stations are some of the lowest in the state aside from the Mansfield summit.

Archived