• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
May 2012 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Could only plot significant hail/wind because otherwise there would have been too many reports to plot. Based on this, I don't really see a massive difference in severe storm occurrence in the areas being compared.

post-14-0-43378400-1337880122_thumb.png

post-14-0-46189100-1337880181_thumb.png

post-14-0-25378800-1337880218_thumb.png

Of course there isn't a difference yet this is ALWAYS brought up for whatever reason.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Lake Michigan has something to do with that. The warm inflow probably gets choked off as it travels over the lake. Sometimes those complexes weaken before they even get to the lakefront.

That's likely part of it.

It has been a long time of course since we've had any serial derechoes in th Great Lakes region (August 2007 was arguably the last one), or any tornado outbreaks where as thy did seem to happen more frequently in the 1990s.

Basically, it's the coverage and intensity of any individual severe weather events that's been unimpressive recently versus the frequency of them or the grand total severe weather events.

It has been a long time of course since we've had any serial derechoes in th Great Lakes region (August 2007 was arguably the last one), or any tornado outbreaks where as thy did seem to happen more frequently in the 1990s.

Basically, it's the coverage and intensity of any individual severe weather events that's been unimpressive recently versus the frequency of them or the grand total severe weather events.

October 2007 had a major tornado outbreak in the state...

Up to 89/61 here with southerly winds gusting close to 40mph. Thought about heading up to northeast Iowa but don't really wanna chase this setup alone. Storm speeds too fast and some question how far south the tornado potential extends. Think I'll just chill at home and do some good old fashioned back porch chasing later today lol.

6/18/2010 comes to mind immediately, and I'm pretty confident there's been others...

Wow.

0214 PM NON-TSTM WND DMG 3 W ROCKTON 42.45N 89.13W

05/24/2012 WINNEBAGO IL BROADCAST MEDIA

NEAR IL75, 3 FOOT DIAMETER TREE DOWN OVER EASTBOUND LANE.

TRAFFIC BEING DIVERTED.

What the heck... I bet that tree was partial rotted inside. That's not normal! Winds are only about 20mph here.

It looks like things could get interesting later this weekend in Chicago and Detroit.

DTX discussion: FAST WESTERLY FLOW ACROSS THE UPPER MIDWEST AND GREAT LAKES REGION AND VEERING OF THE LOW LEVEL JET BOTH SAT AND SUN MORNING WILL LIKELY LEAD TO SEVERAL ROUNDS OF FORWARD PROPAGATING CONVECTIVE COMPLEXES ACROSS THE REGION /ALONG AND NORTH OF THE SFC WARM FRONT/...SOME OF WHICH WILL BE STRONG TO SEVERE.

I wonder if Indiana or Ohio have a shot at record breaking highs coming up in a few days.

Historically and climatologically, there is no truth to this statement. The GLOV region is a hotbed of historical tornado activity, it is the derecho capital of the nation, and, somewhat related to derechos, is ground-zero for NW-flow severe wx setups.

You're spinning my statement to mean something other than what I said. I wasn't talking about only severe events (of which there may be only a few per year) but thunderstorms in general. I'd say that non-severe MCS's have a greater tendency to weaken as they move into Michigan than severe ones.

http://www.cpc.ncep....cip_clim.shtml#

Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin are consistently wetter than Michigan from May through August. The only reason one could possibly suspect is that they get more thunderstorms, or at least thunderstorms with heavier precipitation. From lightning climatology as well, lower Michigan is on the edge of a very sharp SW to NE gradient in lightning strike density.

Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin are consistently wetter than Michigan from May through August. The only reason one could possibly suspect is that they get more thunderstorms, or at least thunderstorms with heavier precipitation.

Uh.... or ya know, just more stratiform boring rain

I'm not in total disagreement with you...I think there are several statistics that show at least MI might not get as much severe wx as areas in IL and OH/IN

T-storm Watch Frequency:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/10ysvra.gif

SPC Slight Risks Per Year:

http://www.patricktmarsh.com/wp-content/gallery/2011images/slgtriskclimo.png

But watches and SPC outlooks probably aren't as good of an indicator as Storm Reports are, and from the map Hoosier posted, we can see it's pretty evenly spread into MI.

Uh.... or ya know, just more stratiform boring rain

I'm not in total disagreement with you...I think there are several statistics that show at least MI might not get as much severe wx as areas in IL and OH/IN

T-storm Watch Frequency:

http://www.spc.noaa....wcm/10ysvra.gif

SPC Slight Risks Per Year:

http://www.patricktm...gtriskclimo.png

But watches and SPC outlooks probably aren't as good of an indicator as Storm Reports are, and from the map Hoosier posted, we can see it's pretty evenly spread into MI.

interesting T-storm watch map. wish my area had a higher frequency.but I'll take what I can get,

DUST BOWL!!!!!

As you said---Dust Bowl

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

505 PM CDT THU MAY 24 2012

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0341 PM DUST STORM 4 SSE MAPLE PARK 41.86N 88.56W

05/24/2012 KANE IL TRAINED SPOTTER

NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY REPORTED ON INTERSTATE 88 WITH THE

INTERSTATE CLOSED AT WATSON ROAD DUE TO AN ACCIDENT

CAUSED BY BLOWING DUST.

Have never seen anything like this in person. Hebron, IL getting pummeled by dust. Corn is up but not enough to keep the dry finer soils down. These are just south of town. Now in Lake Geneva. Water a gorgeous blue but noticeable dusty haze in the air.

post-855-133789927201.jpg

post-855-133789936637.jpg

Archived