joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 25th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will have to watch this. Some nicely curved forecast hodos over far eastern Iowa/western Illinois on 12z NAM. 50+kts NW flow at H5, nice. The best chance for a tornado or two would probably be on the eastern edge of the CAPE/theta-e ridge. Wind profiles better there, and also less of a temp/dew differential as well.

4km WRF develops some nice activity over western Illinois at 60hrs. This forms where it depicts a second/southern low center, and makes for sort of a triple point setup. This will probably change a few times before we get to the event, but it's an interesting possibility.

18z NAM forecast for late Wed (21z) near the QC. This is on the eastern edge of the best instability.

NAM_218_2012042318_F51_41.5000N_90.5000W_HODO.png

NAM_218_2012042318_F51_41.5000N_90.5000W.png

NAM is likely overdoing the 65+ dews, but instability would still be impressive even with slightly lower moisture. If we can get a surface based storm in this environment it should do pretty well. The WF and or differential heating boundary that sets up NW/SE would be my favorite target. Lower LCLS and the better wind profiles reside in this area. All speculation at this point. Hopefully the models continue to show this type of scenario as we get closer to the event.

Certainly some explosive soundings showing up in East Central/SE IL and adjacent areas of IN (around the Wabash River) tomorrow evening if anything can root itself in the boundary layer, although that is a rather large "if" at this juncture.

LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE STRONGLY SUPPORTS THE IDEA THAT WARM SECTOR TSTM DEVELOPMENT WILL BE NEGLIGIBLE OR SEVERELY RETARDED DURING THE PERIOD AS WLY FLOW LIMITS DEEPER UPDRAFTS.

I really dislike severely retarded storms

That's not very politically correct. You should like all storms equally.

I will be very happy to get some stratiform up in this area is the late evening. Good sleeping weather to crack open the window and fall asleep to the sound of the rain.

srefprobcombinedsigtorf.gif

Well, unfortunately that is at 00z when the surface inversion will begin to restrengthen. If anything can get going before then in this area, then look out. I have a feeling that won't be much sb action tomorrow in the warm sector, however, i am hopeful that there will be cause it's local. So we'll be chasing if there's any chance which there is.

By Wednesday at 7pm the 12z Euro is hinting at breaking the cap in far SE IA, with decent 700 and 850 mb Vertical Velocities but not much at 925. After that time as the system drops to the se VV's get really strong from 925-700mb in southern IL and Indiana, that leads me to think that these storms could very well be surfaced based. This seem to lend some credence to what the SREF is showing. Sorry haven't looked at the wind field yet, this was just a quick glance when I got home form work.

From Earls site.

This is I believe is the old STP commonly referred to as the fixed layer STP I think.

CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_STP_24HR.gif

and this what I think is commonly referred to as the effective layer STP, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_STP-NEW_24HR.gif

Could the SPC boys and gals go to 30% ???? Just a question, but I think it could be close, they may stick with the 15% chance and ramp it up with the early morning update...the pro mets here what do you think?

Archived