Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 25th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

From Earls site.

This is I believe is the old STP commonly referred to as the fixed layer STP I think.

CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_STP_24HR.gif

and this what I think is commonly referred to as the effective layer STP, although I'm not 100% sure about that.

CENTRAL_ETA212_ATMOS_STP-NEW_24HR.gif

Could the SPC boys and gals go to 30% ???? Just a question, but I think it could be close, they may stick with the 15% chance and ramp it up with the early morning update...the pro mets here what do you think?

Well, the outlook at 1am will have the actual percentages for tornadoes, wind, and hail, so there will be no general 30% area.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no problem. either of you gonna take a chase chance? prolly not you minnesota lol, but maybe cyclone??

Yeah I really want to, but I have committed myself to a landscaping project after work several days this week. If things really look good when I get off tomorrow afternoon I may have to break my obligation, but I really would hate to do that lol. Timing issues continue to kill me this season. Luckily it's only April.

For tornado probs I'm guessing they'll go with a larger 2% risk with a smaller 5% risk over central Illinois. If things go well I could see a 10% bubble show up somewhere in there later tomorrow.

Just browsing some NAM/GFS soundings, it will probably be a narrow zone of elevated tornado probabilities if they go in that direction. Cap issues just appear too great as you move farther away on the south side of the warm front. And even then the moisture return will greatly impact just much the cap interferes near the warm front itself.

That said, big CAPE between -10o to -30o C, so any elevated storm will still have the possibly drop some significant hail.

For tornado probs I'm guessing they'll go with a larger 2% risk with a smaller 5% risk over central Illinois.  If things go well I could see a 10% bubble show up somewhere in there later tomorrow.

I think I agree with a max 5% for now but could see it covering a larger area. Just too much uncertainty about surface based activity to go any higher at this point.

Just browsing some NAM/GFS soundings, it will probably be a narrow zone of elevated tornado probabilities if they go in that direction. Cap issues just appear too great as you move farther away on the south side of the warm front. And even then the moisture return will greatly impact just much the cap interferes near the warm front itself.

That said, big CAPE between -10o to -30o C, so any elevated storm will still have the possibly drop some significant hail.

Yeah it looks like a fairly isolated/focused event. It may come down to one or two large sups feeding along the warm front/differential heating zone.

Yeah I really want to, but I have committed myself to a landscaping project after work several days this week. If things really look good when I get off tomorrow afternoon I may have to break my obligation, but I really would hate to do that lol. Timing issues continue to kill me this season. Luckily it's only April.

Yea that tends to happen to me a lot too. I've chased 3 times this year (not including local) and only come up with a couple funnel clouds in the dark in arkansas. Busted on March 3rd in Kentucky, played to far south.. like other chasers did. And busted in Western, KS a 2 weeks ago this thurs..

Yeah it looks like a fairly isolated/focused event. It may come down to one or two large sups feeding along the warm front/differential heating zone.

These northwest flow types of events it only takes one.

I'm reminded of the 9/12/10 Dubuque supercell that hit the ASOS with 80 mph wind gusts, despite nearly uniform westerlies throughout the column. Just a concentrated area of moisture convergence was enough to get things going for one storm of the day.

I'm reminded of the 9/12/10 Dubuque supercell that hit the ASOS with 80 mph wind gusts, despite nearly uniform westerlies throughout the column. Just a concentrated area of moisture convergence was enough to get things going for one storm of the day.

Yep. Yeah the 1-2 tornado producing sup days can be quite nice. From a chasing aspect it can make things a little less complicated lol.

The new LSX WRF seems to follow this logic as well. Looks like one or two dominant southeastward moving sups over central Illinois...

mslp_24.png

i remember that, extremely isolated event

no problem. either of you gonna take a chase chance? prolly not you minnesota lol, but maybe cyclone??

No I don't think this set up is worth a chase....best guess is that the biggest threat would be very near or after dark. I would only chase within a 2 hr drive of the TC metro as a rule. Call me just a weather geek and not a chaser, although I am a spotter registered with the NWS... Living in MN let me give some advice....do not chase in the counties of far se MN say se of Rochester...bluff country, bad deal, east-west-north-south roads are not existent, all roads follow the bluffs, you will take your life into your own hands if you go there. On the other hand anything West of Rochester is a chaser's dream, good roads and you can see forever.

No I don't think this set up is worth a chase....best guess is that the biggest threat would be very near or after dark. I would only chase within a 2 hr drive of the TC metro as a rule. Call me just a weather geek and not a chaser, although I am a spotter registered with the NWS... Living in MN let me give some advice....do not chase in the counties of far se MN say se of Rochester...bluff country, bad deal, east-west-north-south roads are not existent, all roads follow the bluffs, you will take your life into your own hands if you go there. On the other hand anything West of Rochester is a chaser's dream, good roads and you can see forever.

it's only worth it for local residents to take a chance at this one. and oh i've chased arkansas and mississippi a few times.. so yea.. lol

5% tornado probs across Central IL in the new Day 1.

...MIDWEST/OH VALLEY REGION...

AS THE AFOREMENTIONED SURFACE LOW SHIFTS SEWD ACROSS IA DURING THE

DAY AND REACHES THE MS RIVER...A SWLY LOW-LEVEL JET IS FORECAST TO

DEVELOP -- NOSING NEWD TOWARD/ACROSS THE SURFACE WARM FRONT. AS THE

MOISTENING BOUNDARY LAYER DESTABILIZES THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON...EXPECT STORM INITIATION TO OCCUR -- LIKELY NEAR AND TO

THE COOL SIDE OF THE FRONT AS WARM SECTOR CAPPING IS LIKELY TO

LARGELY INHIBIT CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT. INITIAL DEVELOPMENT SHOULD

OCCUR INVOF ERN IA/NWRN IL...AND WITH STEEP LAPSE RATES/MODERATE

CAPE FUELING THE CONVECTION...INCREASING STORM COVERAGE -- AND

EVENTUALLY UPSCALE GROWTH INTO A BOWING LINE OF STORMS -- APPEARS

POSSIBLE.

INITIAL STORM MODE IS LIKELY TO BE SUPERCELLULAR...WITH LOW-LEVEL

FLOW VEERING RAPIDLY AND INCREASING TO 40 KT FROM THE NW. THESE

STORMS WILL LIKELY BE ACCOMPANIED BY LARGE HAIL...WITH LOCALLY

DAMAGING WINDS AND EVEN AN ISOLATED TORNADO POSSIBLE. PRESUMING

UPSCALE LINEAR GROWTH DOES OCCUR...THREAT FOR WIND WOULD INCREASE --

AIDED BY MID-LEVEL NWLYS ALOFT INCREASING A BIT TO 40 TO 50 KT

DRIVING A FAST-MOVING MCS ACROSS THE OH VALLEY ROUGHLY ALONG THE

WARM FRONTAL ZONE. SOME SEVERE THREAT MAY LINGER WELL INTO THE

OVERNIGHT HOURS -- PARTICULARLY IF THE LINEAR/BOWING MCS CAN

DEVELOP.

Best guess is that the SPC stays at 15% chance overall, with the tornado risk being about 5% and the hail being around 30%, I don't think at this time they will go to 30% percent severe overall chances, but I think it will be close, they may even in their discussion mention that later outlooks may have to reconsider the potential.

Best guess is that the SPC stays at 15% chance overall, with the tornado risk being about 5% and the hail being around 30%, I don't think at this time they will go to 30% percent severe overall chances, but I think it will be close, they may even in their discussion mention that later outlooks may have to reconsider the potential.

There is no such thing as 15% and 30% overall probabilities on Day 1 outlooks, they are split into separate categories for tornadoes, hail and wind. Both the 15% and 30% probabilities in Day 2/3 outlooks fall under the "Slight" categorical outlook.

There is no such thing as 15% and 30% overall probabilities on Day 1 outlooks, they are split into separate categories for tornadoes, hail and wind. Both the 15% and 30% probabilities in Day 2/3 outlooks fall under the "Slight" categorical outlook.

Andy sorry, I forgot that the SPC puts slights risk and moderate risks overall. me bad. I know better, still 30% hatched hail chance is impressive IMO, sorry dude, again my bad

Archived