• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

April could go negative if sats high pans out.

More impressive is that April will be colder than March. And though long forgotten, we had a few wintry days at the beginning of March, making it even more impressive. Climatologically speaking, April averages 12.1F warmer than March, making it the biggest month-to-month temp differential of the entire year, so impressive is an understatement. (the next closest are differences of just over 11F from Oct to Nov and again from Nov to Dec, of course in that case it is average temperatures being colder than the previous month).

Since records began in 1871, just ONCE has Detroit had a warmer March than April, and literally by the slimmest of margins. That was in 1907, when March came out at 39.2F and April at 39.1F....that April stands today as the 2nd coldest April on record, which followed a mild March (as of today it misses the top 20 warmest Marches by 0.6F, but in 1907, it had placed at 8th warmest March, but then Detroits records only went back 37 years at the time).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really thinking DTW might go negative this month for temps. The site is currently sitting at a +1.4. With Saturdays forecast high some -15 degrees below normal and insanely chilly low DTW could in fact go into negative territory. Amazing how just a couple chilly days will fook up and skew the books. Either way up till now its been a quasi, luke warm, normal and boring April. (wasn't bad at all!!)

Really thinking DTW might go negative this month for temps. The site is currently sitting at a +1.4. With Saturdays forecast high some -15 degrees below normal and insanely chilly low DTW could in fact go into negative territory. Amazing how just a couple chilly days will fook up and skew the books. Either way up till now its been a quasi, luke warm, normal and boring April. (wasn't bad at all!!)

-15 for a departure will only take off 0.5. Now if the rest of the days end up -10 each, then it would end up at exactly even. I don't think this happens as the temps today and Sunday/Monday will be more in the -5 to -8 range.

DTW for April through yesterday.

13 days with positive departures

13 days with negative departures

3 days with double-digit positive departures (+10, +10, +19)

Skew the books? lol

It'll finish, overall, as an essentially normal April but with more negative departure days than positive ones.

DTW for April through yesterday.

13 days with positive departures

13 days with negative departures

3 days with double-digit positive departures (+10, +10, +19)

Skew the books? lol

It'll finish, overall, as an essentially normal April but with more negative departure days than positive ones.

i laughed at the post also.

Time to settle up on the bet. Let me know what you think the best payment method is and I'll get on it when we get back in to town on monday.

very dry air to contend with across wester wisconsin for tonights and tomorrows rain

I think the NAM is overdoing it with the qpf. The dry northeasterly flow is going to eat at that leading edge of the precip tonight.

The GGEM actually may have a pretty good handle on that.

Yeah, that seems to be in line with my thinking too. Little bit south and a bit drier then the GFS & NAM.

East wind today is brutal. 45° with wind chill in the upper 30s.

Will finalize on May 1st, but heres a few prelim numbers on the March vs April stats this year. We always hear the phrase "backwards spring" but never has it been more true than this year.

Days with high temp of 60F+

Mar 2012: 18

Apr 2012: 14

Days with high temp of 70F+

Mar 2012: 12

Apr 2012: 4

Days with high temp of 80F+

Mar 2012: 3

Apr 2012: 0 (first Apr since 2000 without an 80F)

Days with low temp of 50F+

Mar 2012: 8

Apr 2012: 1

Days with low temp of 45F+

Mar 2012: 14

Apr 2012: 4

Days with low temp of 40F+

Mar 2012: 15

Apr 2012: 8

DTX has a few tenths of an inch of snowfall accumulation in the forecast for the southeastern area. I know it won't amount to anything more then a few flakes resting on top of the grass and elevated areas, but still, that's obviously pretty unusual for the end of April. Especially when we could be looking at upper 70s and thunderstorms later on in the week.

Archived