• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 31st - Potential Wintry Precip (formerly the March Torch Thread)

tornadojay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather see the ridge axis over or east of us than west of us. In that position, a high can easily nudge in and backdoor us again. I'd rather have a deep SWerly flow aloft to sfc.

NAM looks pretty brutal for those living near the coast throughout the weekend into early next week. S and SE winds this time of year won't get anyone near the shore much above 50. We really need the SW winds back.

The Euro keeps pushing back the warmth as the high with the huge block keeps the onshore flow going.

The hope is the high eventually gets far enough south to get a SW component to the wind for a day or two.

Another possible fly in the ointment is what eventually happens with the cutoff around 8-10 days out which

is a low confidence forecast this many days away.

?????

I'd rather see the ridge axis over or east of us than west of us. In that position, a high can easily nudge in and backdoor us again. I'd rather have a deep SWerly flow aloft to sfc.

NAM looks pretty brutal for those living near the coast throughout the weekend into early next week. S and SE winds this time of year won't get anyone near the shore much above 50. We really need the SW winds back.

I agree, with ridge ultimately being positioned further east, being ideal for more warmth into our region. But the point, was to show that more above average temps, at least, are down the road.

NAM has a persistent easterly flow right through Monday.

Have to watch for temperature busts to the low side, if the marine influence remains.

I doubt anyone makes it to 60 from Newark east if that persists. It would also likely be cloudier/foggier than forecasted now since the marine layer would be solidly in place.

NAM has a persistent easterly flow right through Monday.

Have to watch for temperature busts to the low side, if the marine influence remains.

Not entirely true. Starting Sunday the wind takes on a more southerly direction. So still not good for LI/most of NYC. But just inland from EWR west should experience warm temperatures

f81.gif

I still think EWR is at least 80 on Wed or Thurs of next week, and maybe even at least 85.

I know I thought this a few days ago, but the feature that's there now and wasn't back then is the upper low coming out of the southern stream and moving toward the mid-Atlantic. That system has the effect of re-locating the surface high that would have pumped downsloping w-nw winds into our region further north and east making our wind flow more southerly or even s-se-erly for most of next week. This changes the temperature picture (if you believe these maps) entirely to one where we are lucky to get into the lower 70s, at least in NYC and Long Island. It is possible that this UL coming out of the southern stream is overdone and will have less impact. But it is also possible that the latest maps are correct in showing this effect.

WX/PT

The 12z ECM from what I can tell on the free maps looks like it even backs away from the 1-2 days of strong warmth... now it's in line with the CMC with keeping the weak low at H5 stuck over the area, with the GFS not showing it as strong but trending towards a clearer signal of a weak low at H5. If it wasn't for this, temperatures could've easily surged to 80+ degrees... if this trend is correct, NYC would be lucky to reach 70 degrees for over 2 days next week. Although I'm hoping for the warm solution I wouldn't care too much if it doesn't verify; we're still barely in spring, even if NYC misses this one there's still going to be plenty of warm spells later on in the season.

post-1753-0-10995300-1331926510.gif

Today was a bust temperature wise.

Once a landbreeze establishes later this evening (post-frontal passage), expect temperatures to rise overnight, at least prior to midnight from NYC westward (although the spike, albeit less pronounced, might also be evident further out on the Island as well). Highs today will likely occur after dark, and most likely won't drop much thereafter. 60's are probably out of reach today, but mid-upper 50's are yet still possible.

Once a landbreeze establishes later this evening (post-frontal passage), expect temperatures to rise overnight, at least prior to midnight from NYC westward (although the spike, albeit less pronounced, might also be evident further out on the Island as well). Highs today will likely occur after dark, and most likely won't drop much thereafter. 60's are probably out of reach today, but mid-upper 50's are yet still possible.

I am at 44.7 right now, I doubt I can get up to the middle 50's my midnight.

I think that tomorrow stays below 55 for the island.

Archived