• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 31st - Potential Wintry Precip (formerly the March Torch Thread)

tornadojay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind if we get a snowstorm in early April. Imagine if we get more snow in early April than we got this whole winter lol

And I was just looking out at my lawn tonight thinking to myself that I may have to actually cut my lawn just in case we do get some snow. ha ha ha My grass is coming in thick and green already!! Would love to see it snow though.

Out here...4/9/96 might have been the best...save for the wind aspect of the '82 storm...

http://www.northshor...10Snowstorm.gif

4/96 smoked LI...I remember that watching TWC back in the day. I saw NYC didn't get much and then they said LI got a foot...I was surprised. That is when I frst started learning that LI doesn't always get less snow than the city as 1980s and most the 1990s broadcasting would lead you to believe.

Guest Pamela

4/96 smoked LI...I remember that watching TWC back in the day. I saw NYC didn't get much and then they said LI got a foot...I was surprised. That is when I frst started learning that LI doesn't always get less snow than the city as 1980s and most the 1990s broadcasting would lead you to believe.

IIRC...the storm was even better over the higher terrain of NW R.I.....where high spots like North Foster and Jerimoth Hill were in the 20" vicinity...

Guest Pamela

Upton measured 16.0 of snow in April 1996...a staggering amount...there was about 12.5" with the 4/9 event and about 3.5" with a smaller event about 3 days earlier...

I was driving on the Northern State Parkway during the day and only the grass had a small accumulation. It wasn't until the evening that the snow accumulated.

You better be kidding. Anyway the NAM has such a huge cold bias. The NAM in that range show the most erratic solution and with overrunning events the NAM always tends to be cold. I don't think and hope that there is going to be any snow out of this for NYC but won't rule out completely the rain ending as bit wet snow. If any accumulating snow do happen the best chance is next week with a possible coastal storm.

If we end march and april without any accumulation in NYC would give us 0.2 for Feb - Mar - Apr total combined - only lesser amount for those 3 months combined was 2001 -2002 all 3 had a trace - those 3 traces combined probably would have equaled .02 getting technical...just showshow difficult it is to get basically nothing feb - april - maybe the odds do favor us getting an accumulation in the next couple weeks.....

The 06Z GFS was also suppressed. and the 03Z old ETA is WAYYY suppressed to the point NYC sees no measurable precip. The setup out west is not one that favors a snowy situation for NYC in a SW flow type event, but the setup over the W ATL and SE Canada may counter that.

with the blocking setup right now, the suppressed solution have some merit.

Looks like bowling-ball season is definitely underway on much of the longer range guidance. Numerous cutoffs and rolling systems across the U.S. The great torch we had last week shouldn't be replicated anytime soon. Looks like a closer to normal regime setting in.

There may be a very brief, but intense, torch next Monday, which could feature hotter temperatures than the last torch, but only for one day.

It's only 3 days out, the track of the low looks good for now, 850s are cold enough. I guess the strength of the low, the amount of moisture it carries will be a big factor. The time the storm comes in looks good too, doesn't come in midday or anything. I think a few flakes are not out of the question. It def would be bizarre if we did see accumulating snow considering how this season has gone.

It's only 3 days out, the track of the low looks good for now, 850s are cold enough. I guess the strength of the low, the amount of moisture it carries will be a big factor. The time the storm comes in looks good too, doesn't come in midday or anything. I think a few flakes are not out of the question. It def would be bizarre if we did see accumulating snow considering how this season has gone.

It would be quite fitting actually.

Archived