Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Face reality..It bites

Stop with the early leaf out and 85-90 talk. It's not happening. The facty that you won't make a bet with me is telling and it's going to be glorious when Will wins the bet you foolishly made with him. I hope he trolls you mercilessly. Have you heard from Joe? I PM'd him but have had no response.

Stop with the early leaf out and 85-90 talk. It's not happening. The facty that you won't make a bet with me is telling and it's going to be glorious when Will wins the bet you foolishly made with him. I hope he trolls you mercilessly. Have you heard from Joe? I PM'd him but have had no response.

It is not going to snow again at any of the big 4 climo sites. I don't know what bet with you that you are talking about? Nothing from Joe. He will be back when he is ready I suppose. It's kind if foolish to leave the board over something that had no ill intent

It is not going to snow again at any of the big 4 climo sites. I don't know what bet with you that you are talking about? Nothing from Joe. He will be back when he is ready I suppose. It's kind if foolish to leave the board over something that had no ill intent

I bet ORH isn't done yet.

Well, I think Phil went a bit too far and it didn't seem like it was just good natured ribbing. I'm not one to talk though as I told Messenger to "eat sh*t and die" earlier in the Winter.lol You are so going to lose the bet with Will. I've tried to get you to bet against me getting more snow since you declared it was over for me. It's snowed 6 times since you made that bold statement.

Well, I think Phil went a bit too far and it didn't seem like it was just good natured ribbing. I'm not one to talk though as I told Messenger to "eat sh*t and die" earlier in the Winter.lol You are so going to lose the bet with Will. I've tried to get you to bet against me getting more snow since you declared it was over for me. It's snowed 6 times since you made that bold statement.

Like I said yesterday..Your area is not SNE..It's some weird gyre that isn't normal..so I will not bet you on your area..Bet me on the big 4

I think the leaf discussion is a little silly, but I actually think Blizz may have a point with an early leaf out. I tried to find some research on what specific environmental cues determine when trees start to send out leafs and flowers. The only thing I found is that it has to follow a prolonged period of cold so that a week of anomolous warmthing in fall wouldn't screw up their cycle. And we're obviously past the point of prolonged cold so any "spring cues" should produce leaf out.

I do know that other plants - notably bulbs like the tulip need temperatures in the 35 F to 50 F range for about 4 weeks in order to reliably grow which is why most of the tulips and other bulbs are out and many daffodils are already near bloom in the CP. However, trees probably have somewhat different physiology than bulbs as far as sending out leaves but I wouldn't be surprised if a prolonged period of warm temps would do the trick. Just looking around here there are many trees that already have their buds out, and a week+ close to 60-70+/35-45 might be enough of a stimulus..

Will beat me to that bet and I'm a nice guy so I won't pile on. Man, you are going to lose big.

If he doesn't think its going to snow again in his BY, he normally tries to bring the rest of the region down with him and when he's in winter mode but on the line, he tries to lump himself in with ORH hills like in the 3/1 event when it was pretty clear he'd get sleet bombed.

I feel pretty good about my bet...esp with the ensembles building a bit of a western ridge by 3/25...perfect for short wavelength cutoff season.

Big time torch in the meantime though.

I think the leaf discussion is a little silly, but I actually think Blizz may have a point with an early leaf out. I tried to find some research on what specific environmental cues determine when trees start to send out leafs and flowers. The only thing I found is that it has to follow a prolonged period of cold so that a week of anomolous warmthing in fall wouldn't screw up their cycle. And we're obviously past the point of prolonged cold so any "spring cues" should produce leaf out.

I do know that other plants - notably bulbs like the tulip need temperatures in the 35 F to 50 F range for about 4 weeks in order to reliably grow which is why most of the tulips and other bulbs are out and many daffodils are already near bloom in the CP. However, trees probably have somewhat different physiology than bulbs as far as sending out leaves but I wouldn't be surprised if a prolonged period of warm temps would do the trick. Just looking around here there are many trees that already have their buds out, and a week+ close to 60-70+/35-45 might be enough of a stimulus..

I assume soil temps play a role as well. It takes consistent warmth to thaw the ground after winter...a few warm days here and there won't cut it. Right now my 6" soil temp is at 32F. However I have a moisture sensor at the same depth and when frozen it will read the minimum of 200cb. Yesterday was the first day where it started spiking up into the mid 100s which is an indication that 6" down is beginning to thaw out. I'd assume by Tuesday afternoon the soil temp will start climbing into the mid 30s and the moisture sensor will begin giving some normal unfrozen readings.

If he doesn't think its going to snow again in his BY, he normally tries to bring the rest of the region down with him and when he's in winter mode but on the line, he tries to lump himself in with ORH hills like in the 3/1 event when it was pretty clear he'd get sleet bombed.

I feel pretty good about my bet...esp with the ensembles building a bit of a western ridge by 3/25...perfect for short wavelength cutoff season.

Yeah I still think the party begins to end for a time later this month but of course he won't respond to that. I'm with you, I'd be surprise if you lost, but this has been a crazy season. Hopefully it's a 6" paste bomb for you and rain for him....one of those weird cutoffs that has the cold more to the north and east lol.

Yep, gross warmth. I noted that Blizz has made the early migration to quoting BDL for temp talk. If only the weather was as predictable.

Yeah I still think the party begins to end for a time later this month but of course he won't respond to that. I'm with you, I'd be surprise if you lost, but this has been a crazy season. Hopefully it's a 6" paste bomb for you and rain for him....one of those weird cutoffs that has the cold more to the north and east lol.

April '87 was like that...it had a sharp cutoff in NE CT...he probably had like 4-5" and lots of rain while 17" fell here.

We could actually see it get pretty cold for a window in early April if we tap into all that bottled up arctic air....I also think we could see our warmest days before any flip.

The cutoffs to the south are kind of annoying for this coming period...hopefully we don't get any since right now it would just mean 44F and rain.

We are entering a 2 week period where more than half the days will be at least in the 70's if not a few warmer days. Let's focus on that and not make pretend cold shots in April when we couldn't get them in winter

The irony in you saying this is overwhelming, lol.

The irony in you saying this is overwhelming, lol.

Hey you can choose to do what you like. Sure it would be great if we got more snow, but reality says that is not going to happen. In the winter it's all I care about. We lost winter this year. It didn't happen and now that spring is here IMO it's time move on and not try and pull a magic snowstorm and cold shot out of the black hat. I don't know about you but I'd much rather have 70's and sunny in March than cloudy and 45 with mud if it can't snow. I feel very good about my bet. In fact let's go double or nothing if you'd like.

Hey you can choose to do what you like. Sure it would be great if we got more snow, but reality says that is not going to happen. In the winter it's all I care about. We lost winter this year. It didn't happen and now that spring is here IMO it's time move on and not try and pull a magic snowstorm and cold shot out of the black hat. I don't know about you but I'd much rather have 70's and sunny in March than cloudy and 45 with mud if it can't snow. I feel very good about my bet. In fact let's go double or nothing if you'd like.

But see this period is a different. You don't need all these things in place like the NAO, MJO, etc to line up. Spring is a time where crazy cutoffs can happen. You'd be very surprise to go back and look at the pattern before some spring snows and see how warm it was prior. Of course this year is pretty anomalous, but to rule out snow based on your assumptions isn't the right idea. If it somehow works out this year, 8/10 times it likely would not. I'd take those odds.

But see this period is a different. You don't need all these things in place like the NAO, MJO, etc to line up. Spring is a time where crazy cutoffs can happen. You'd be very surprise to go back and look at the pattern before some spring snows and see how warm it was prior. Of course this year is pretty anomalous, but to rule out snow based on your assumptions isn't the right idea. If it somehow works out this year, 8/10 times it likely would not. I'd take those odds.

I understand it can happen. It has before and will again. I'm not basing on anything other than the pattern..it;s stable, it's not changing..and by April climo and time of year is on my side..and the odds of me winning are far greater than Will's

I understand it can happen. It has before and will again. I'm not basing on anything other than the pattern..it;s stable, it's not changing..and by April climo and time of year is on my side..and the odds of me winning are far greater than Will's

That's fine, but this time of year features a lot more vulnerability. I don't think anyone is saying that this weather isn't nice. I think everyone would rather have 70 than 45 and drizzle except for Logan11.

Hopefully this weather isn't just a tease. I fear lousy periods of weather in April and May.

Archived