• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Observations and Discussions

Managed to get to 84 yesterday. When you combine that with the night time storms last night, which mirrors the typical late afternoon/evening storms you see in the summer, man it sure feels like it's indeed summer.

Storms last night gave me about 0.40 but the lightning was the main story. Man there was a ton of it and hell of a lot of ground strikes. It was absolutely beautiful (especially after the storms passed and you could see the back end of them..they looked like that lightning in the opening on the original incredible hulk show) but did have at least 6 or so come within no more than a mile of here. And the thunder was extremely loud. I loved it.

And you know it's warm when even during/after the rain it still feels warm outside. We can get storms in the winter/early spring like that but normally during/afterwards it's pretty cool outside...not last night. Never dropped below 64..and most of the time during the summer months, temps don't drop much below the upper 60s/lower 70s so you are only talking about a few degrees difference. Amazing.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta be honest...after a sh***y winter, I'm loving this sudden transition into the heart of spring...

Infact, I'm looking at the guidance for next week and its looking like a mid to late spring type of pattern. GFS and Euro both cutting off a low over the Mid Section with a deep southeast flow coming off the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico...looks more like something you see mid to late May. It's been dry here recently, this upcoming event should turn that around somewhat.

Here's the EURO for Thursday and Friday...

12zeuro500mbHGHTNA120.gif

12zeuro500mbHGHTNA144.gif

GFS very similar...this model is picking up on a good moisture tap...Day 5

12zgfs500mbvort120.gif

12zgfsPW120.gif

With the dynamics involved, a severe weather threat will definitely be there if we have surface based instability but I also see good rainfall producers for some areas due to the cutoff nature...

This may be a couple of days old, but a friend in Brevard, North Carolina, sent me photos of a severe hail storm that happened on Thursday. In addition to the hail, he said that it rained almost 6 inches, and the wind blew over 40 mph. He said that six hours after the storm, ice was still on the ground, and the French Broad River was flooding in Transylvania County. He observed about two inches of ice when the storm was over. Very dramatic weather. Just wanted to share.

post-1004-0-01019500-1332040737.jpg

post-1004-0-94807800-1332040751.jpg

Storms have fired north and south of us the past few days, but we've caught the outskirts at best. I'm hoping we get something more substantial today...

Same here, except we haven't seen any rain. They have been north and south and yesterday the storm kept forming northwestward and stopped right at our doorstep. Only saw lightning and wind. Then today the storms just disappeared in the last hour lol.

Odd to say this, but for once it felt "cool" for today with 72 for a high thanks to being decked in clouds and showers throughout the morning and early afternoon. When you're used to temperatures in the upper 70s and low 80s, I suppose one could feel the effect of such after several days of a huge warm up. That's still running above average for highs around here regardless (low-mid 60s), and for the late part of the month is when the average finally gets to upper 60s-around 70. Unreal of the strength of this warm spell we're having.

Yesterday we shattered our record high of 82 with a recorded high temp of 86. It might have gone higher if it hadn't stormed at 4 pm.

Another record high for here on the 16th....I've seen this too many times the past few years :(

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

150 AM EDT FRI MAR 16 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE TIED AT COLUMBIA METRO AIRPORT SC...

THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 88 DEGREES WAS TIED AT COLUMBIA METRO

AIRPORT SC YESTERDAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 88 SET IN 1977.

Here are my highs for the past few days...

3/13--- 79.4

3/14--- 83.2

3/15--- 83.5

3/16--- 82.1

3/17--- 82.3

3/18--- 86.2

For Mid-March, this is absurd!

3-14 - 85

3-15 - 87

3-16 - 88

3-17 - 85

3-18 - 81

Rain - .95 :(

You know it's abnormally warm for this time of year when it's 70 at midnight around here. I can stay outside and sleep all night if I wanted to and stay completely comfortable given these conditions (66% humidity and 57° DP so it feels summer night-like). Back up in the 80s again for Monday's high (83).

Second day in a row that a small cluster of storms has dropped almost due South out of VA into the Triangle area. I'm seeing a lot more lightning with this system than yesterday's, even though it's 20 miles or so further West. We got .12" yesterday, but it looks like the bulk of this one will miss or just graze us. Happy first calendar day of Spring!!!

Second day in a row that a small cluster of storms has dropped almost due South out of VA into the Triangle area. I'm seeing a lot more lightning with this system than yesterday's, even though it's 20 miles or so further West. We got .12" yesterday, but it looks like the bulk of this one will miss or just graze us. Happy first calendar day of Spring!!!

Second day in a row that I got missed by miles... like 3.

Second day in a row that I got missed by miles... like 3.

Archived