• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Obi-One-Marchobi Episode III The Return of the Weenie

HoarfrostHubb

Looks like the east slope of the Berkshires is going for double digits. Nice.

If it can stay all snow, I think a lot of the higher terrain will have a great chance of cracking double digits...but sleet taint does get close to your area and my area at the warmest point...however, even if it does ping, it looks like it would be very brief and probably during the lighter precip late tomorrow evening. The 2nd round of thump overnight looks like it would cool back down for snow assuming it ever does changeover to sleet to begin with.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it can stay all snow, I think a lot of the higher terrain will have a great chance of cracking double digits...but sleet taint does get close to your area and my area at the warmest point...however, even if it does ping, it looks like it would be very brief and probably during the lighter precip late tomorrow evening. The 2nd round of thump overnight looks like it would cool back down for snow assuming it ever does changeover to sleet to begin with.

I'm not terribly concerned with the taint issue. Seems like it might get up to the Pike briefly but then collapses quickly back SE. Being 25+ miles N of the pike I would think I'm fairly safe from any prolonged contamination. This looks like a solid 12" snowfall to me. Maybe better. Funny, there are years when this would seem like a pedestrian event. This year it seems like the '93 superstorm. Speaking of that. I see lots of posts about March torching and this being the last hurrah. It happens nearly every year, people call for Winter's early demise only to be pounded with a blue bomb(s) when they've totally let their guard down. I think there will be one MECS before the page is turned on Winter '11-'12. We haven't had a big April snow in a while. This could be the year.

Albany has put up winter storm warnings for Berkshire county where Mitch is. Not a surprise...still waiting for Taunton to update...I suspect they put up warnings for most of MA along and north of the pike region and possibly including BOS...but they might leave BOS in advisory if they are worried about BL screwing it up at times.

lol silly me...i forgot about the downsloping due to the easterly flow, a swfe and we cannot even get more northerly wind lol. I should have gone fishing today.

frankly i hope it just pours as oppsossed to watching it snow heavily all around me.

boxs discussion seems to make a lot of sense. my god this place is just abysmal for snow. at least i know what to expect.

Weird how the totals BOX is showing drop pretty fast as you get towards CT; would think the hills of NE CT should be able to get more the 4?

Most guidance has the snow/sleet line stalling for a significant amount of time near the MA/CT border which could make for a decent gradient there. If it ends up a bit further south, then NE CT would def get more.

Congrats to many on the overnight runs. Liking the 8-12" forecast. That said, this should be a very manageable 8-12 since it's occuring over such a long period of time. So, the impact for travel might be more one of duration of conditions rather than the extremity of them. Regardless, snow blower use is almost assured (did I just jinx myself?).

EDIT: the duration will also have impact on ground totals I imagine as there will be compaction over time. Perhaps that this ill not be a fluffly snow will limit that factor a bit.

Congrats to many on the overnight runs. Liking the 8-12" forecast. That said, this should be a very manageable 8-12 since it's occuring over such a long period of time. So, the impact for travel might be more one of duration of conditions rather than the extremity of them. Regardless, snow blower use is almost assured (did I just jinx myself?).

If it starts. You weren't in the boy scout's were you?

GYX hoisted warnings for all of NH except for Coos County and York and Cumberland Counties in Maine. Made some drastic changes to their map, esp for the mountains.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

I liked reading the GYX WWA. They're offering an advisory with 4-8" forecasted. I guess that's due to the duration of the storm rather than the totals.

EDIT: the duration will also have impact on ground totals I imagine as there will be compaction over time. Perhaps that this ill not be a fluffly snow will limit that factor a bit.

* IMPACTS...A FAIRLY DRY SNOW IS EXPECTED. POOR VISIBILITY AND

SLIPPERY TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS. BOTH THE EVENING

AND THURSDAY MORNING COMMUTES SHOULD BE AFFECTED.

Be prepared.

* IMPACTS...A FAIRLY DRY SNOW IS EXPECTED. POOR VISIBILITY AND

SLIPPERY TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS. BOTH THE EVENING

AND THURSDAY MORNING COMMUTES SHOULD BE AFFECTED.

Be prepared.

Dry does not equate to 'fluffy'. You can have very dry but dense snow. If we can get some good dendrites, we'll get the fluff. Not sure if that's what's being expected though.

Archived