• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Obi-One-Marchobi Episode II (Feb 29/March 1 event)

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6Z NAM does hit that front end thump hard in CT... I assume their watch/warning criteria is lower than here.

Yeah I think it's 6" in 12hrs. I'm laughing because their afd yesterday said they were cutting totals to 0". Not sure why they'd do that given the available guidance at the time.

The 6z nam looks great for a 3-6 kind of deal for front end thump followed by some Pingers and freezing drizzle. I expect virtually nothing here Thursday... All front end which is fine with me.

Winter Storm Watch up here... but honestly, this is an advisory event up here. Expect nothing less.

NAM looks real good for SNE front end thump...that's some serious WAA lift going on down there. Hoping you guys can pull out a good warning criteria snowfall down there.

Almost 3" of new snow overnight, and snowing hard this morning, maybe winter's making a comeback?

Euro actually did what I mentioned earlier would happen. It came north a bit for a better thump for the I-90 region, but will introduce the chance of a mix just south into CT. However, not after a decent thump...that hasn;t changed. We'll have to watch for any trends from here on out.

Thump and done here. Still maybe 6" if we are lucky tho

Thump and done here. Still maybe 6" if we are lucky tho

Yeah I think my thinking hasn't changed much from yesterday...maybe a little mroe confident for >3" for my hood with the euro bump north. Still think 2-4" with maybe 5" for Kevin. Looking at things now, Still looks like fun for nrn mass and up into CNE.

06z GFS warmed a tick, but who really cares. It doesn't change much.

The euro still is trending north with the H5 low driving this whole storm. So, this fits well with storm 1 coming further north on the euro. We'll have to see how that looks on the runs today, because it will have implications especially Pike south. As of now, the bump north was actually good as stated yesterday. Better forcing and better rates is good for coastal areas, although boundary layer is still a little questionable.

Yeah nobody is going to torch at the surface in this setup outside of maybe the most vulnerable coastal areas in far SE zones...you might get some 33F rain obs in the interior valleys...but it could also end up colder than that. The low level cold is most often under forecasted when the high pressure in the exact spot it should be for this event.

Exactly what most of us were preaching yesterday

All models are hammering CT with the first storm. Soth of pike is place to be for wave 1..and north for wave 2..but there's some sneaky surprises in there I think.

I don;t see how we get less than 5 inches with wave 1 and possibly 6-7

Temps we agree with. At your elevation you will likely be below 32, except for Thursday where you will go above 32, especially IF there is no precip.

I just think there is some shuffling still. Someone will probably pull 6-7", but might be in a very narrow area. With that, I think 3-5" is a good first guess for you. I know that's how you role, but 4-7 just is too high imo. But, if you get 4-5", it falls into your range so whack away. Nothing imo changed overnight. Today will hopefully nail things down, but at least many will see widespread snow.

Temps we agree with. At your elevation you will likely be below 32, except for Thursday where you will go above 32, especially IF there is no precip.

I just think there is some shuffling still. Someone will probably pull 6-7", but might be in a very narrow area. With that, I think 3-5" is a good first guess for you. I know that's how you role, but 4-7 just is too high imo. But, if you get 4-5", it falls into your range so whack away. Nothing imo changed overnight. Today will hopefully nail things down, but at least many will see widespread snow.

Well I guess where we differ is I don';t see anyone in interior SNE getting above 32 on Thursday. Even if precip stops for a bit Cold high, NE flow fresh snow..it will stay under 32.

The biggest queston remaining is..is the Ukie right and it snows thru Thursday even south of pike or does the precip shut off for awhile?

Well I guess where we differ is I don';t see anyone in interior SNE getting above 32 on Thursday. Even if precip stops for a bit Cold high, NE flow fresh snow..it will stay under 32.

The biggest queston remaining is..is the Ukie right and it snows thru Thursday even south of pike or does the precip shut off for awhile?

This time of year, if the sun brightens and temps aloft are "mild" you'll get above 32 no question I think. But if it does snow or mix...that will keep it down. The key is precip imo, because you'll be advecting drier air in from the northeast. Any precip and you'll wetbulb. I think Thursday for now is more for NNE. Even the euro kept everything north. But we'll see what today does. If the vortmax does try to move underneath the area, it will keep lighter snows going. The euro has a vortmax moving under SNE Wednesday night which ignites the echoes once egain into Thursday morning, before quitting.

Part of me sees a Friday repeat possible for some, with the first WAA thump. I actually think you may have a shot of a "mini max" with that. It's just difficult to pin point this far out. I don't think it will be across areas sw of HFD this time around.

As much as I love seeing that BOX map wrt my backyard, I'm not sure what they're basing that on since I can't access their AFD. I'm not sure what they are basing the differentials on (qpf? temps?). Any insgihts welcomes.

Also, if anyone has a back way into their AFD/forecasts, that would be great. Managed to get to a few htings from their FB page, but not those.

We'd all better enjoy this..because starting Saturday and thru mid March we are in for one brutal torch. Days 8-15 look like May. it is going to turn into spring very quickly. March has become one of my least favorite months

I still think the low to our south next week should be watched. Like everything, the pattern isn't classic, but some ensemble members still have it, and there is a ridge out west. I'd put the chance of that as pretty low right now, but just sayin'. Otherwise we torch big time.

As much as I love seeing that BOX map wrt my backyard, I'm not sure what they're basing that on since I can't access their AFD. I'm not sure what they are basing the differentials on (qpf? temps?). Any insgihts welcomes.

Also, if anyone has a back way into their AFD/forecasts, that would be great. Managed to get to a few htings from their FB page, but not those.

HIGHLIGHTS...

* ACCUMULATING SNOW AND MIXED PRECIP WILL LAST INTO INTO THU NIGHT

* ANOTHER SYSTEM WILL BRING MAINLY RAIN ON SATURDAY

CONFIDENCE...

TRICKY FORECAST TO START AS MODELS HAVE A SYSTEM MOVING THROUGH WED

THROUGH FRIDAY. CONFIDENCE IS HIGH THAT ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL

OCCUR...BUT UNCERTAINTY STILL EXIST ON THE TIMING OF SWITCHING THE

SNOW TO MIXED PRECIP TO RAIN AS WELL AS THE EXACT LOCATION THAT WILL

OCCUR. INCREASING CONFIDENCE EXISTS FOR ANOTHER SYSTEM TO SWEEP ON

BY ON SATURDAY...BUT FOR NOW LOOKS TO BE MOSTLY RAIN ACROSS THE

AREA. TEMPERATURES WILL FLUCTUATE THROUGHOUT THIS PERIOD.

THURSDAY...MODERATE CONFIDENCE.

MARCH SEEMS TO ENTER AS A LION AS THIS SYSTEM WILL CREATE A LONGER

DURATION OF SNOW FOR THE REGION BEGINNING WED LATE AFTERNOON AND

LASTING INTO THURSDAY NIGHT.

MODELS...

AS STATED IN THE SHORT TERM FORECAST...THE 00Z GFS HAS COME IN

WARMER THAN THE REMAINDER OF THE MODEL SUITE WHILE THE 00Z NAM

CONTINUES TO SUPPORT ITS COLD BIASES. FOR THE THICKNESS DECIDED TO

BLEND THE NAM/ECMWF/CANADIAN AS THESE MODELS SEEM TO HAVE SIMILAR

THERMAL PROFILES...WITH THE ECMWF AND CANADIAN HELPING TO SMOOTH OUT

THE NAMS COLD BIAS. FOR QPF...KEPT WITH THE NAM/ECMWF AS THEY HAVE

BEEN QUITE CONSISTENT THE PAST FEW SYSTEM THAT HAVE MOVED THROUGH

THIS PAST MONTH. FINALLY FOR TEMPS...SAW THAT MOS WAS QUITE TO WARM

AND ITS DEW WHERE TO DRY. SO HAVE BLENDED TOWARDS THE COLDER

SOLUTION OF THE NAM WITH PREV FORECAST.

DETAILS...

FIRST WAVE OF PRECIP WILL OCCUR WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...WHILE ANOTHER

ROUND WILL MOVE THROUGH THURSDAY INTO THURSDAY NIGHT. NOT A LOT OF

QG FORCING ALOFT...HOWEVER LOOKING AT THE POTENTIAL FOR

BANDING...NAM IS HINTING THAT BANDING MAY OCCUR. HOWEVER STILL TO

EARLY TO PINPOINT EXACT LOCATION THAT THIS MAY OCCUR. FOR NOW CAN

SAY THAT SOME REGIONS WILL SEE MODERATE SNOWFALL AS THERE IS A GOOD

AMOUNT OF INSTABILITY IN THE SNOW GROWTH ZONE. THIS WILL REDUCE

VISIBILITIES AND MAY CAUSE FOR A MESSY EVENING COMMUTE. THE MAIN

MIXED PRECIP LINE IS RIGHT ACROSS CONNECTICUT TO THE CAPE. THIS MAY

CHANGE AS MODELS GET A BETTER HANDLE OF ATMOSPHERE AS TIME DRAWS

NEAR. CURRENTLY COULD SEE THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME ICE ACCUMS BUT STILL

UNCERTAIN ON EXACT AMOUNTS. AS THE DAY PROGRESSES ON THURSDAY TEMPS

WILL INCREASE AS ANOTHER LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM DEVELOPS OFF THE SOUTH

COAST. THIS WILL ENHANCE PRECIPITATION ESP ACROSS AREAS NORTH OF THE

TURNPIKE. WILL NEED TO CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS SYSTEM AS THERE MAY

BE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TO WARRANT A WINTER STORM WARNING. FOR NOW

WE HAVE DECIDED TO ISSUE A WATCH AND EXPECT 6-8 INCHES ACROSS

WESTERN MASS AND INTO NEW HAMPSHIRE. WHILE THE REST OF THE WATCH

AREA WILL SEE 2-6 INCHES OF SNOW. ACROSS THE 95 CORRIDOR AND

EASTWARDS...INCLUDING PVD AND BOS...EXPECT 1-4 INCHES. THESE AMOUNTS

WILL CHANGE OVERTIME SO STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECAST.

FRIDAY...MODERATE TO HIGH CONFIDENCE.

THE MAIN WINTER SYSTEM WILL EXIT THE REGION BY THE EARLY MORNING

HOURS...HOWEVER PRECIP MAY LINGER ACROSS THE AREA INTO THE LATE

MORNING HOURS. BELIEVE FRIDAY WILL BE MOSTLY DRY BUT CANNOT RULE OUT

SOME DRIZZLE/FLURRIES AS LOW LEVELS ARE STILL QUITE MOIST.

TEMPERATURES WILL BE NEAR AVERAGE AS UPPER LEVEL RIDGING MOVES OVER

THE AREA.

Archived