12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 2nd-4th Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow hounds seem to be booking up hotels in northern MI fast, so had to make a decision. Staying at a little lodge in Grayling, only a 3.5 hour drive from home, nestled in woods...rather than staying at some chain hotel in an urban part of town, JUST in case of becoming briefly snowbound, I want to be able to walk into snow-plastered nature easily from where Im staying.

I think you are shortchanging much of Southern Wisconsin. You must really be buying into the long range RUC.

I suppose you're right, taking a second look at the models, but I would be worried about possible mixing issues in that area. So I'll stay conservative for now in that area. I'll post an update after the 12z GFS posts.

will mke ever get their short term out so i can jet out of here to get one last am of ice fishing in before things are shot down in far se wi..

not much turtle excitement in here for this. I like madison for the sweet spot and up to the NE. thinking 2-4" here hopefully

will mke ever get their short term out so i can jet out of here to get one last am of ice fishing in before things are shot down in far se wi..

not much turtle excitement in here for this. I like madison for the sweet spot and up to the NE. thinking 2-4" here hopefully

Sounds reasonable. Considering what happened last week i could see this thing ending up a little further nw like that did. That is the way i would go if i had to make a call on any last minute surprises. Euro sucking donkey balls again. Good luck dude. I think you will be fine.

Thanks much, Harry. Def worried about a little shift nw and just a little means pretty much when it comes to change over times here. finally can get out of here now that short term is out.. pretty much knew what it was going to say but I had to weenie out to the afd before leaving.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

539 AM CST FRI MAR 2 2012

UPDATED TO ADD VERY SHORT TERM...MARINE AND AVIATION DISCUSSIONS.

SHORT TERM

TODAY AND TONIGHT...FORECAST CONFIDENCE MEDIUM TO HIGH.

OTHER MODELS COMING IN LINE WITH WHAT NAM HAD BEEN SHOWING AS AN

OUTLIER THAT PAST FEW DAYS...WITH STRENGTHENING OF SYNOPTIC FEATURES

AS UPPER JET INTENSIFIES AND RESULTING RAPID DEEPENING OF SURFACE

LOW. STRONG

HAVE NOT MADE MANY CHANGES TO SNOW AMOUNTS...AND STILL LOOKS THAT

EVENING RUSH WILL BE GREATLY IMPACTED WITH A QUICK TURN OVER TO ALL

SNOW FROM WEST TO EAST WITH THE HEAVIEST ACCUMULATIONS IN THE LATE

AFTERNOON TO EARLY EVENING. COBB SUPPORTING 1.5 TO 2 INCH PER HOUR

SNOWFALL RATES AS STRONG LAYER Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE AND

FRONTOGENETIC RESPONSE PRODUCE DOUBLE DIGIT OMEGA VALUES

INTERSECTING THE PRIME DENDRITE GROWTH ZONE. WHILE THE WARNING AREA

WILL SEE 6 TO 8 INCH AMOUNTS... MAIN AREAS OF CONCERN ARE THE KETTLE

MORAINE REGIONS OF FOND DU LAC/SHEBOYGAN/DODGE/AND WASHINGTON

COUNTIES WHERE SNOW/LIQUID RATIOS JUMP THE MOST WITH DYNAMIC COOLING

WITH THE ADDITIVE OROGRAPHIC CONTRIBUTION WHICH COULD RAISE AMOUNTS

ABOVE CURRENT FORECAST.

THUNDER-SNOW NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION IN THE SOUTHEAST WITH MODEL

SOUNDINGS INDICATING A PERIOD OF 7C TO 8C LAPSE RATES ABOVE 800 MB

AND WETZEL INGREDIENTS PLOTS BRINGING HIGHER VALUES OF NET QPV INTO

THE SOUTHEAST BETWEEN 18Z AND 00Z. AN ADDITIONAL HEADACHE WILL BE

NORTHEAST TO NORTH WINDS GUSTING TO 30 MPH...WITH GUSTS TO NEAR 40

MPH ALONG THE LAKESHORE. NOT MUCH DRIFTING EXPECTED WITH THE HEAVY,

WET SNOW...BUT VISIBILITIES WILL BE SEVERELY RESTRICTED IN THE

EXPECTED HEAVY SNOW BURSTS.

SNOW SHUTS DOWN QUICKLY IN THE LATE EVENING WEST AND EARLY OVERNIGHT

EAST WITH LOSS OF LIFT...DRYING IN DENDRITE GROWTH ZONE FROM WEST TO

EAST...THOUGH SNOW LINGERS IN THE NORTHEAST BETWEEN 06Z AND 09Z.

I remember almost the exact storm in March 1998 and almost an identical crappy winter for SEMI. As a youngster coming back from Florida for spring break unsuccessfully getting tail. Similar track that caught Chicago to Traverse City in a very heavy wet snow. Anyone remember this storm??

Snow hounds seem to be booking up hotels in northern MI fast, so had to make a decision. Staying at a little lodge in Grayling, only a 3.5 hour drive from home, nestled in woods...rather than staying at some chain hotel in an urban part of town, JUST in case of becoming briefly snowbound, I want to be able to walk into snow-plastered nature easily from where Im staying.

I hope you get it there. I would really like for you to see a "real snowstorm" I feel your to far south. Think the Heaviest Snows will stay around M-68 (Traverse to Cheboygan) My call: 10 to 18 inches. but the good news I still think Grayling gets at least 7 to 10 inches.

the far NW portion of the LOT area is under a watch and some of the models show those kind of amounts.

that said, radar/sat trends would suggest otherwise and a mostly dryslot scenario

Just seen the RUC. Really taking this thing further NW.

eventual trowal/defo band as well as dryslot locations are already pretty evident. Anything in the NW camp is looking good.

I am wondering if we will be in better shape trailering up to the Cadillac/Gaylord region, rather than having to fight traffic and possible 2" hour rates driving up from south side Chicago with a 3:00 p.m. departure all the way to Crivitz, WI.

That might get us into the sweet spot with what fell earlier this week and what looks to fall tonight. As it stands now Crivitz seems to be well northwest of tonight's main band, and we will merely be driving/fighting through it.

On the other hand if this NW trend happens, Crivitz region might get nailed . . . will be following trends closely today. Thanks for the thoughts all.

the far NW portion of the LOT area is under a watch and some of the models show those kind of amounts.

that said, radar/sat trends would suggest otherwise and a mostly dryslot scenario

Yup... not looking good here from what i'm seeing. wagons west/north and warnings gonna go up for Green Bay.

So much for ice fishing.. got a call that the ice is very sketchy on the racine county lake we planned on going to. so much for fishing there.. this day is going down the ****ter fast.

I am wondering if we will be in better shape trailering up to the Cadillac/Gaylord region, rather than having to fight traffic and possible 2" hour rates driving up from south side Chicago with a 3:00 p.m. departure all the way to Crivitz, WI.

That might get us into the sweet spot with what fell earlier this week and what looks to fall tonight. As it stands now Crivitz seems to be well northwest of tonight's main band, and we will merely be driving/fighting through it.

On the other hand if this NW trend happens, Crivitz region might get nailed . . . will be following trends closely today. Thanks for the thoughts all.

Sucks having to drive in snow.. but I think everybody with a sled is going to be gonig nuts in that area of mi.. I would hit ne wi where if you know the area well you will find awesome trails with a lot less traffic I would think plus they look like they could add on a nice chunk of snow.

I expect the nam follows suit of the 6Z gfs.

Sucks having to drive in snow.. but I think everybody with a sled is going to be gonig nuts in that area of mi.. I would hit ne wi where if you know the area well you will find awesome trails with a lot less traffic I would think plus they look like they could add on a nice chunk of snow.

I expect the nam follows suit of the 6Z gfs.

Thanks for the context Bow. Will be posting reports as relevant along the way. 43 up north of MKE could be a wild ride . . .

no sense following it too much now, but an early look says not so fast on that.

seems the gfs has a better handle on the precip down south by st louis area so i figured nam would follow suit and bump north.. just talking out my pooper so my thoughts pretty much just stink.

Thanks for the context Bow. Will be posting reports as relevant along the way. 43 up north of MKE could be a wild ride . . .

snow should be wet and roads warm enough that crews should be effective at keeping major roads clear....unless rates get really out of hand, which i guess is possible north and west of MKE.

nam pretty much holds but that doesn't comfort me a whole lot.

A foot+ of fresh snow in MI sounds like heaven but until the groomers can get out and work it along with all the traffic I would be real affraid of moguls and tough going in the heavy wet snow. def going to be a hairy ride up 43 not to mention the nightmare traffic you're going to hit. hopefully the snow holds off and you can make some good time out of chicago to mke.

Archived