12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 2nd-4th Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have never experienced such a storm i would do it. No it is not your backyard ( which nothing can come close to ) but still it is a experience you will enjoy alot and probably never forget atleast till one happens in your backyard.

Oh and congrats to our WI/IL and C/N MI peeps. Atleast someone in this region will have seen a respectable winter storm this winter. :) Gotta love seeing the models go a bit deeper/stronger with this storm vs the typical fade out. I suspect some places could need a blizzard warning?

It will probably be hard to get sleep, because most of the storm will be happening at night. Three storms stick in my mind for insane snowfall rates experienced imby would be Mar 4, 2008, Dec 19, 2008, and Feb 20, 2011. In each of those cases a good 6" fell in less than 3 hours time, though when you look at storm totals its the same old thing (Mar 4/5, 2008 - 10.3", Dec 19, 2008 - 8.2", Feb 20/21, 2011 - 10.2"), the key being that that insane snowfall lasted 3 hours. If the models verified it would be more like 6 hours with those kind of rates up north. I notice that the Gaylord NWS is not even coming close to mentioning the insane totals the NAM would indicate, probably for good reason. This storm would be epic for them even, but can never trust the NAMs qpf.

0z GFS still looks good.

when you say looks good, what exactly do you mean? Based on everything I see this looks like a decent snow for southern Wisconsin. Are you thinking something else for the Chicago area? What are your thoughts on Chicago area? Thanks in advance. :)

I'm REALLY hoping I can get in on the snow fun! As always (at least since I've moved here), my area is right on the line....local mets seem to be ignoring the models and not really even talking about the potential, despite the models showing us getting some good snow.

On the GFS, you get in on the snow right after hour 24. You should get some accumulation there.

After looking over the GFS and RGEM, I'm going with 1-2" for here and the QC. My initial 2-4" thinking was a bit hasty as it was based largely on the new NAM. This thing's just moving too fast to do much damage here.

Any ideas what DVN is expecting for NW IL - Dubuque area? Earlier they were mentioning 4-7".

Any ideas what DVN is expecting for NW IL - Dubuque area? Earlier they were mentioning 4-7".

Probably an advisory level event for about the northern third of their CWA. I would guess 2-5" up in that area. Amounts will steadily drop off to below advisory level south of that, including the QCA. I suspect they aren't anticipating a warning event up north as they haven't pulled the strings on a WSW after the 00z guidance came out. This is very different from the system last week, which moved very slowly through the area. This one will be finished before 00z.

Euro appears to be the oddman out this go around. Weaker with a track further to the se of all the other models and the 12z euro run. As usual it is drier with just under a half inch QPF for se WI and 1/2 inch plus west/north of I69 to Lansing MI and less further east/southeast. Bullseye of 1 inch + ( 1 - 1.25 ) near Gaylord. Tracks to LAF to just east of Jackson on to Huron where it has it at 984mb.

Euro appears to be the oddman out this go around. Weaker with a track further to the se of all the other models and the 12z euro run. As usual it is drier with just under a half inch QPF for se WI and 1/2 inch plus west/north of I69 to Lansing MI and less further east/southeast. Bullseye of 1 inch + ( 1 - 1.25 ) near Gaylord. Tracks to LAF to just east of Jackson on to Huron where it has it at 984mb.

I think what saves it from being awful compared to the other models is it is a tad cooler I'm thinking.

0z Euro looks to be a tad better for snow amounts than 12z, which had a general 2-5" around Milwaukee based on the Wunderground maps. There is a small area of 2-3" for the 3 hour period from 21-00z just west of MKE.

Does the EURO handle convective elements very well? It doesn't, does it?

Archived