• Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON WV

154 PM EST WED FEB 29 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

LAWRENCE COUNTY IN KENTUCKY...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...YATESVILLE LAKE STATE PARK...

LOUISA...BLAINE...

SOUTHERN WAYNE COUNTY IN WEST VIRGINIA...

* UNTIL 230 PM EST

* AT 146 PM EST...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD 22

MILES WEST OF MARTHA...OR NEAR WEST LIBERTY...MOVING EAST AT 50

MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

CHARLEY...ULYSSES...KIAHSVILLE...DUNLOW...FORT GAY AND EAST LYNN

LAKE.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PADUCAH KY

204 PM CST WED FEB 29 2012

***PRELIMINARY INFORMATION ONLY...ASSESSMENT ONGOING***

THE FOLLOWING IS AN INITIAL REPORT IN...FROM A DAMAGE ASSESSMENT

ONGOING FOR THE CITY OF HARRISBURG IN SOUTHERN ILLINOIS.

* EVENT DATE - WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 29 2012

* EVENT TIME - 456 AM CST

* EVENT TYPE - PRELIMINARY EF4 TORNADO

* EVENT LOCATION - SOUTHERN PART OF HARRISBURG

* PEAK WIND - ESTIMATED 170 MPH

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH - ESTIMATED 200 YARDS

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE - STRIP MALL NEAR WAL MART SUFFERED MAJOR

DAMAGE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING DAMAGE...INJURIES AND

FATALITIES WILL BE ADDED TO THIS PRELIMINARY REPORT...AS WILL

PATH LENGTH. AS OF RIGHT NOW...THE LATEST IS 6 DEATHS HAVE BEEN

REPORTED.

In Columbus Ohio for the week and things may get interesting tonight. Tornado Watch was issued not that long ago. Sun was out around lunch and has that "feeling" of something brewing.

one of our very well known local tv mets here just posted on FB that the watch was an over reaction and there is no chance for severe here. Radar says he's right, however it's still near 70 degrees and the coldfront hasn't passed.

friday looks....interesting

I've had some time to come up with some thoughts on this morning,

I've been awaken up in the middle of the night in the past for several different things, the flu, sickness, minor medical emergencies, earthquakes, friends in the hospital, but nothing prepared me for what was about to happen when something woke me up at 4:25 out of the blue, even though I live 100+ miles away from Harrisburg and grew up 65 miles from Harrisburg, it's southern Illinois, my homeland, where I've lived most of my life.. these are my people, my neighbors. When I seen the radar I thought at least they had warning, at least they had some sense of what was about to happen, even though I know it's almost 5AM, and this isn't like St Louis or Chicago or New York where you expect activity at that time, as I sat here on the couch that I am sitting on right now I thought oh God just please nobody get hurt, Then the news started to come in, buildings collapsed, people trapped, then injuries, then finally after daybreak the deaths. Living away from the southern IL tv market gave me a bit of awayness but twitter and facebook doesn't. The pictures, the Strip mall by Walmart, the neighborhood, we all had to triple check to see if it was more photos from Branson or Kansas, but I knew when I seen the stripmall that this was not just any ordinary southern Illinois tornado..

That's when it hit me the hardest, that this cell was coming into Evansville, following the exact same track as the November 2005 tornado that killed so many people.. as I sat there seeing the couplet strengthening on the Doppler radar from Evansville what came into the very same mobile home park that 3 years after the storm you could still see debris as you went down I-164, and I just sat there waiting, knowing it's done so much damage already in Illinois, could it REALLY happen again??? Then it went past, no word of damage, but then the word came in, there was just a street, I thought ok we was pretty lucky, only 1 or 2 streets or homes, then the cell fell apart...

Then the news crews got to Harrisburg, you never expect to look on the tv and see flattened shopping centers and homes just 65 miles from where you spent your entire childhood, but then again.. This is Southern Illinois, were strong, we were built on the coal mines that made us strong. we WILL rebuild Harrisburg, Carrier Mills, Ridgway that was hit so hard early this morning, Will it take time?? Sure, but we will be back, better, stronger than ever before..

To conclude, a little bit of irony, This past monday a group of men from the church that I attend left Flora to spend a week helping to rebuild homes in Joplin, Little did we or they know that just 48 hours later there would be things to do much closer to home... But in the Southern Illinois spirit, there will be tons of help, tons of manpower, and tons of hugs and shoulders to cry on along the way, that's the way we are in Southern Illinois, we dust ourselves off and get back to work and clean it up.. and that's what makes me love that place so so much

Good reflections Jhamps on the human impact of much of what we discuss in these forums. I know Harrisburg over to Marion and Carbondale well because of family in the area in prior years and it is good to remind us of our strength in situations like this. That's why I'm glad JoMo's observations of 9 months of recovery in Joplin are so helpful and inspirational on the main page of this forum.

Archived