12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 28-29 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Western Michigan really does suck in terms of getting synoptic snowstorms, doesn't it? It seems like everything has to be "just right" to get a low pressure that actually gives us anything substantial. Clippers seem to be the only reliable systems.

We do best with Gulf lows and or systems that pop in AR and move ne while steadily developing. Both have been rare the past few years especially the Gulf low that comes due north to Ohio. Systems moving east or ene ( even ese ) typically weaken as they reach us because usually by the time they get here a secondary low is popping along the eastern seaboard which robs our system of energy etc.

You could luck out up that way but yeah CO lows general suck in these parts where i am at for snow. Usually a wintry mix/ice or rain unless it occludes fast and wraps in decent cold air like we had with the Plains blizzard in Dec 09.

Global News Toronto is calling for "February showers " and a high of 5c/41F in Toronto on Wednesday. I seriously doubt that, based on recent models.

Our weekend news weather presenters are absolutly horrible and habe no weather knowledge. Global used to have Bill coulter on weekends but now I think he's on cp24 and he was decent and was an actual meteorologist. They didn't even mention the threat of snow at all.

We do best with Gulf lows and or systems that pop in AR and move ne while steadily developing. Both have been rare the past few years especially the Gulf low that comes due north to Ohio. Systems moving east or ene ( even ese ) typically weaken as they reach us because usually by the time they get here a secondary low is popping along the eastern seaboard which robs our system of energy etc.

You could luck out up that way but yeah CO lows general suck in these parts where i am at for snow. Usually a wintry mix/ice or rain unless it occludes fast and wraps in decent cold air like we had with the Plains blizzard in Dec 09.

Christmas storm 09 was an awesome storm. Definitely the last true Gulf Low. Groundshog Day was a hybrid of sorts, but the 09 storm was the epitome.

Our weekend news weather presenters are absolutly horrible and habe no weather knowledge. Global used to have Bill coulter on weekends but now I think he's on cp24 and he was decent and was an actual meteorologist. They didn't even mention the threat of snow at all.

What do you think of the the CFTO weather presenter on weekdays? I personally find him a little over the top.

He's decent. You guys are pretty young. If you're anything like me in about 5 years or so you'll be able to compose your own forecasts and then you'll hardly even watch weather presenters on the news anymore.

I think I may actually be older than you...I was born in 1980 when the USSR was at the height of its power

They all suck expect Anthony Farnell...he's pretty sick with his forecasts plus he's a fan of every season so he doesnt hate when it snows unlike Adam or CTV.

Despite 97-98 being pretty sh!t, we had one good snowstorm but it was later in March....we got a good 6-8" lol.

Overall I would take that Winter over this anyday. We also had a good 6-8" snowstorm in November.

They all suck expect Anthony Farnell...he's pretty sick with his forecasts plus he's a fan of every season so he doesnt hate when it snows unlike Adam or CTV.

Despite 97-98 being pretty sh!t, we had one good snowstorm but it was later in March....we got a good 6-8" lol.

Overall I would take that Winter over this anyday. We also had a good 6-8" snowstorm in November.

Yeah, two "good" ones. Nov 15(? around there), 97/March 21, 98. The bookend winter. Late Jan 1998 also featured some modest snows.

Yeah, two "good" ones. Nov 15(? around there), 97/March 21, 98. The bookend winter. Late Jan 1998 also featured some modest snows.

Yeah.

Almost every crappy Winter since the 90's featured atleast one decent storm whereas this Winter has featured none, incredible.

Based on current data this storm has resemblence to the March 07 storm which started off as snow transitioning to freezing rain and rain.

The 500mb map looks very similar and the position of the LP anomaly;

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/dailywxmap/dwm_500ht_20070302.html

However that storm tracked NE there after whereas this storm may just move E given the HP anomaly present across NQUE.

I know it's still early in the ''game'' but what are you're thoughts on the midweek system?

Looking pretty good that we get a shot of snow early Wednesday along the occlusion. Like I mentioned earlier though, we may end up being in a bit of a minima between the snow associated with the upper low over WI/N MI and the WCB convective driven snow/ice trekking through PA/NY. It'll be close though, but right now I'd only go with a couple of inches.

The next thing that has to be resolved is where does the decaying H5/7 low traverse? If it gets sufficiently squashed under the weight of that confluence over Quebec, we could get an additonal couple of inches later Wednesday night into Thursday.

From the NAM/GFS soundings I've seen, ZR doesn't look to be much of a problem, except for maybe some -FZDZ once/if the dryslot moves in. When it's precipitating heavily enough, it should be mostly snow (or maybe PL).

Archived