joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 28-29 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With that strong High over Quebec I think this one has a very real ice storm potential to it. Shallow Arctic air funneling into the region out of the E/NE while warm air moves in over top it, plus the potential snowpack for the region that is coming today/tonight/Friday.

:P

Looks like this could have decent snow and severe potential. When's the last time we had a good leap day storm?

Specifically leap day? I don't know lol although this system does have some similarities to the Super Tuesday system albeit that it closes off quicker than the Super Tuesday storm. Of course no 2 systems are the same.

Specifically leap day? I don't know lol although this system does have some similarities to the Super Tuesday system albeit that it closes off quicker than the Super Tuesday storm.  Of course no 2 systems are the same.

Yes, specifically leap day. I think there might've been a good one back in the 80's but not sure.

Teleconnections are weak for this event...only positive is the PNA is going negative, but that isn't saying much overall. GOM is wide open though. Dependent upon low amplitude phasing which never incites confidence. But I am definitely watching the threat. ECMWF verbatim would be historic CO Low across southern MN.

Teleconnections are weak for this event...only positive is the PNA is going negative, but that isn't saying much overall. GOM is wide open though. Dependent upon low amplitude phasing which never incites confidence. But I am definitely watching the threat. ECMWF verbatim would be historic CO Low across southern MN.

there's been nothing historic about any lows....anywhere (except on model fantasy ranges) this winter. Why would that change now?

The only way to get snow this winter is having one of those putridly weak surface reflections scoot underneath you before the stale cold air from the latest transient trough moves out.

there's been nothing historic about any lows....anywhere (except on model fantasy ranges) this winter. Why would that change now?

The only way to get snow this winter is having one of those putridly weak surface reflections scoot underneath you before the stale cold air from the latest transient trough moves out.

Tis why I am extremely hesitant right now too. Day 5 actually isn't too fantasy in terms of time though, but you are right, low amplitude phases are not conducive to high confidence. Toss in seasonal trends and no reason to get excited until day 4 at best. I will say I would rather see ECMWF/UK/CMC suggesting a storm over the GFS op this winter.

18z GFS a trifle different than the 12z run.

You see this all the time...12 GFS has one solution, 12Z ECMWF suggests something completely different than the 18Z looks identical to ECMWF. Then 0Z guidance comes in and none suggest the same solution. Can you see I am being pessimistic?

That said, it does seem the day 3 plains storm will be a sacrificial lamb as guidance keeps hinting that much of that first western trough occludes along the west coast. Better phase for second storm.

You see this all the time...12 GFS has one solution, 12Z ECMWF suggests something completely different than the 18Z looks identical to ECMWF. Then 0Z guidance comes in and none suggest the same solution. Can you see I am being pessimistic?

That said, it does seem the day 3 plains storm will be a sacrificial lamb as guidance keeps hinting that much of that first western trough occludes along the west coast. Better phase for second storm.

I wouldn't say pessimistic at all this winter. Just a flat out reality this winter. :lol:

This threat, IMO, is becoming far more interesting for one very good reason, the GOM is completely wide open, and moisture flux would be significant. Important both for heavy precip potential as well as rapid intensification via LHR.

Unlike our moisture starved Feb. 23 storm of today in the Ohio Valley region this one does have greater potential that bears watching.

Archived