Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 28-29 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha. Kids need at least one snow day a winter! What better day to have off, then leap day! Good luck up there!

Is the University open today?!

MTU? They very rarely close. They wouldn't even close if there was a Nuclear war. Same for where I work. :lol: Finlandia University here in Hancock did close at noon and I think NMU has been closed all day.

Starting to cloud up here. 56° is probably the high for today. Wind is crazy out there!

MTU? They very rarely close. They wouldn't even close if there was a Nuclear war. Same for where I work. :lol: Finlandia University here in Hancock did close at noon and I think NMU has been closed all day.

Yeah MTU. lol. I had a snow day at UWisc. for 2" of snow one time! Storm was supposed to be much worse.

Freezing rain damaged a hydro transmission line tower somewhere around here thus causing a blackout across parts of southern Ontario. The city basically shut down this afternoon with offices and shops closing. Some parts of the city are still in the dark and my lights are periodically flickering after being out for two hours.

Also interesting to see thunderstorms going up over southwestern Ontario. Hoping to get my first crack of thunder tonight :)

As the primary low continues to weaken across MI WAA has completely been shut off and we're locked in an ENE flow. That's allowed temps to drop back to around freezing. It'll be interesting the next couple of hours as some precip approaches from the west to see if we get an elevated icing. RUC actually shows a transition back to snow around dawn tomorrow as the ull moves overhead.

As the primary low continues to weaken across MI WAA has completely been shut off and we're locked in an ENE flow. That's allowed temps to drop back to around freezing. It'll be interesting the next couple of hours as some precip approaches from the west to see if we get an elevated icing. RUC actually shows a transition back to snow around dawn tomorrow as the ull moves overhead.

We're having like.. torrential freezing rain! Elevated surfaces are coated and the ground is catching up quickly.

We're about to get hit by more rain... I only shoveled the sidewalk after this mornings snow thinking the 3/4" would melt, and it didn't It's been 31-32F here all day. The road is a sheet of ice after that downpour of rain -- was just outside sliding around.

The fzra was supposed to be a 4-6 window this morning, but we escaped the worst of it but still felt the power outages. Now it's hit full blown more than 24 hours after the warning went up. EC hasn't canceled the warning yet...good on them. This is cool.

We're about to get hit by more rain... I only shoveled the sidewalk after this mornings snow thinking the 3/4" would melt, and it didn't It's been 31-32F here all day. The road is a sheet of ice after that downpour of rain -- was just outside sliding around.

The fzra was supposed to be a 4-6 window this morning, but we escaped the worst of it but still felt the power outages. Now it's hit full blown more than 24 hours after the warning went up. EC hasn't canceled the warning yet...good on them. This is cool.

Bit of icing on the deck, but otherwise, ground was too warm here. Now we're getting pelted by wet aggregates. :) Coating on everything.

I would estimate by the depth of the moguls the road grader left at the end of the drives here it snowed around 8 inches of snow. I lived here long enough and am pretty good at estimating by using this. That east wind was really brutal. Good thing I came home from work a little earlier, because it got worse after I came home. Had to utilize the 4x4 due to the plows couldn't keep up with plowing the snow off the main highway.

I would estimate by the depth of the moguls the road grader left at the end of the drives here it snowed around 8 inches of snow. I lived here long enough and am pretty good at estimating by using this. That east wind was really brutal. Good thing I came home from work a little earlier, because it got worse after I came home. Had to utilize the 4x4 due to the plows couldn't keep up with plowing the snow off the main highway.

Some day I'm going to live up there!!!!!!!! Just need to figure out how to convince the wife...............................

That map will need a lot of purples added as its olny for through 7 am.

SnowMap_2012Feb29.jpg

Yep, helluva nice storm for N. Wisconsin!

Amazing what a difference 3* latitude can make around this part of the world. This winter, I've really missed my days living up around the 45th parallel. Houghton Lake reporting 23" on the ground this morn with next storm targeting N. Mich again. May be time for a last-minute road trip to catch the Grand Finale' of winter in Mich..

Archived