Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 28-29 Winter Storm

Hoosier

Whats Euro showing for LSE?

12z GFS looks like a little snow and then mostly rain.... Doesn't look too impressive...

LSE:

WED 00Z 29-FEB   0.5    -0.7    1016	  72	  86    0.02	 554	 541   
WED 06Z 29-FEB  -0.8    -0.4    1008	  82	 100    0.16	 549	 543   
WED 12Z 29-FEB  -1.3    -3.2    1001	  87	  83    0.41	 538	 537   
WED 18Z 29-FEB  -1.3    -5.8    1000	  86	  99    0.17	 535	 534   
THU 00Z 01-MAR  -1.8    -7.9    1004	  88	  98    0.24	 535	 532   
THU 06Z 01-MAR  -4.0    -8.6    1009	  85	  80    0.04	 539	 532   
THU 12Z 01-MAR  -8.0    -8.3    1012	  89	  70    0.01	 542	 533   
THU 18Z 01-MAR  -0.6    -6.0    1012	  64	  64    0.00	 544	 534   
FRI 00Z 02-MAR  -1.2    -5.8    1011	  84	  65    0.00	 542	 533   
FRI 06Z 02-MAR  -2.3    -5.2    1009	  87	  77    0.02	 535	 527   
FRI 12Z 02-MAR  -5.8    -6.1    1007	  87	  31    0.01	 528	 523

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No two storms are alike, but the first storm that came to my mind was the March 4-5th, 1985 winter storm that gave Toronto 10-12" of snow followed by freezing rain and rain. I looked at this storm on NARR a few years ago and here's the link:

Very similar features. Low plowing into Iowa/southern Minnesota with strong confluence across Ontario/Quebec. Today's 12z GGEM looks very much the same as the 1985 event. Strong band of WAA heavy snow out ahead of the low across southcentral Ontario early Wednesday morning followed by sleet/freezing rain and then rain.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

No two storms are alike, but the first storm that came to my mind was the March 4-5th, 1985 winter storm that gave Toronto 10-12" of snow followed by freezing rain and rain. I looked at this storm on NARR a few years ago and here's the link:

Very similar features. Low plowing into Iowa/southern Minnesota with strong confluence across Ontario/Quebec.  Today's 12z GGEM looks very much the same as the 1985 event. Strong band of WAA heavy snow out ahead of the low across southcentral Ontario early Wednesday morning followed by sleet/freezing rain and then rain.

That storm is 5th on the CIPS analog list using the 12z GFS at 72 hours.

Very similar features. Low plowing into Iowa/southern Minnesota with strong confluence across Ontario/Quebec. Today's 12z GGEM looks very much the same as the 1985 event. Strong band of WAA heavy snow out ahead of the low across southcentral Ontario early Wednesday morning followed by sleet/freezing rain and then rain.

ya that is interesting. 12zEURO actually gave us 0.67'' QPF and most is prob snow. Godd to have the EURO on the southern end of the guidance but this has potential to be a ice storm for us.

You get absolutely drilled! :snowman:

I'm thinking there is going to be a pretty legit ice threat with this one too with that High off to the NE..

12z EURO

It's even giving areas along the border here snow. The 0z did not to this extent. Most of southern WI looks to have mainly snow.

Interesting analog. The most recent storm that popped into my mind when I saw this setup was the March 1, 2007 snow/icing event.

This upcoming storm looks a lot warmer than that event though, at least according to the GFS. It looks like plain rain for Toronto.

Okay, thanks i guess I've got a lot to learn about how to read an 850mb weather map! I always thought the thick blue "zero line at 850" line was the freezing mark.

That is for temps above the surface at 850mb. Best to check out 2mTemps ( Surface ) too for low level cold or warmth.

*Edit*

See image above posted by SSC.

That is for temps above the surface at 850mb. Best to check out 2mTemps ( Surface ) too for low level cold or warmth.

*Edit*

See image above posted by SSC.

I was just looking at the 2m temperatures for this time period. The freezing line goes from Green Bay to the southern tip of Lake Huron, then snakes it's way through Niagara Falls.

There is freezing rain on the wunderground precipitation plots in southern Ontario and central MI.

Thanks! We'll see what happens. It does look like EC's forecast of 52F for Wednesday will bust.

They're being idiots once again. One run of the GGEM blast us into the warm sector and they blindly pander to it. Then when the following (and most recent) run of the GGEM comes in much, much colder, they leave that ridiculous temp forecast alone.

Seriously, the funding cutbacks at EC have affected the quality of product. It seems more likely that a chimp is putting out these forecasts.

They're being idiots once again. One run of the GGEM blast us into the warm sector and they blindly pander to it. Then when the following (and most recent) run of the GGEM comes in much, much colder, they leave that ridiculous temp forecast alone.

Seriously, the funding cutbacks at EC have affected the quality of product. It seems more likely that a chimp is putting out these forecasts.

Where do I go to get the 2m GFS forecasts? I went to Allan Huffman's page, scrolled down and couldn't find the option.

Archived