• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 23 Disorganized Mess

HoarfrostHubb

7 of the 12 00z GFS members agree with the 12z operational ECM for explosive MA-NE cyclogenesis centered around 108 hours +. There is some difference on timing, but the 7 members agree with one another, and then cross-guidance type is also intriguing for interaction of SW opening closed low with transient albeit well timed northern stream trough passage. The whole thing phases in as a then powerful open wave that has a big bomb going off overhead. Of the other 5 ...saying they don't agree is a stretch; they do carry variation on the theme of the 7.

At this point ...regardless of boundary layer being totally wrong thickness wise, getting ANYTHING to happen is of paramount important first.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOX /Euro allowing for a Tip scenario

THERE IS A FLY IN THE OINTMENT WITH THE MID TO LATE WEEK FORECAST.

THE LATEST 12Z ECMWF DOES HAVE A MUCH STRONGER SURFACE LOW THAT

TRACKS FURTHER SOUTH THAN THE OTHER MODELS. THIS ACTUALLY WOULD

ALLOW FOR SOME SNOW/ICE TO AFFECT THE INTERIOR FOR A TIME THU

NIGHT/EARLY FRI...WITH THE TRACK FURTHER TO THE SOUTH.

BUT ITS CERTAINLY SOMETHING WILL NEED TO WATCH

IF THE MODELS TREND TO A CHILLIER/MORE SOUTHERLY TRACK WITH THE LOW

THU NIGHT/FRI.

BOX /Euro allowing for a Tip scenario

THERE IS A FLY IN THE OINTMENT WITH THE MID TO LATE WEEK FORECAST.

THE LATEST 12Z ECMWF DOES HAVE A MUCH STRONGER SURFACE LOW THAT

TRACKS FURTHER SOUTH THAN THE OTHER MODELS. THIS ACTUALLY WOULD

ALLOW FOR SOME SNOW/ICE TO AFFECT THE INTERIOR FOR A TIME THU

NIGHT/EARLY FRI...WITH THE TRACK FURTHER TO THE SOUTH.

BUT ITS CERTAINLY SOMETHING WILL NEED TO WATCH

IF THE MODELS TREND TO A CHILLIER/MORE SOUTHERLY TRACK WITH THE LOW

THU NIGHT/FRI.

Bomb... big, big snows CNE/NNE and maybe the Berkshires. This would redeem this winter a bit and maybe shows the GFS's idea of a storm developing further south along the front is right. As opposed to a St Lawrence River Valley cutter.

f144.gif

Any chance for areas around here. As happy as I am for N VT- N NH- NW ME, I'd like to see something around here too.

Personally I don't expect much here. Unless, somehow the low develops far offshore, but I think this at least hugs the coast and moves overhead. We'll have to wait until after next weekend, but even that might be NNE. However, there will be a colder airmass in place, so it could be a snow to icy mix for the interior.....at least to start.

At least we may have the chance of a strong low this week. LOL.

This will also find a way to end up as three strung out 1001mb "lows" with light rain showers moving across New England. lol.

At this point a strong low would be nice with some wind or something interesting... maybe strong pressure falls/rises, you know, rapidly changing weather. Anything.

This will also find a way to end up as three strung out 1001mb "lows" with light rain showers moving across New England. lol.

At this point a strong low would be nice with some wind or something interesting... maybe strong pressure falls/rises, you know, rapidly changing weather. Anything.

For your sake, I hope the euro is right. GFS would be bad.

You got your 968mb bombing low. Caveat is that it's just SE of Hudson Bay on the GFS. 60s for Fairfield - CC?

Personally I don't expect much here. Unless, somehow the low develops far offshore, but I think this at least hugs the coast and moves overhead. We'll have to wait until after next weekend, but even that might be NNE. However, there will be a colder airmass in place, so it could be a snow to icy mix for the interior.....at least to start.

Expect a stern lecture from Will about giving up on Feb.

GFS would get Joe arrested for being nude on Friday. 60s for parts of the area if that happened.

Yeah... I have absolutely no interest in actually trying to figure this out or get excited/down about any solution at this point. I do like the weenie ECM run just because this winter has been so bad we haven't even had many fake modeled storms that look good, much less ones that actually pan out. Its fun to dream but this winter I'm pretty much set up for the worst case scenario, so anything else would be a bonus. The expectations are about as low as they can go, lol.

You're right.....I'll remain optimistic because HubbDave and Pete may do well.

Giving up in March at 1000' probably isn't a good idea even in the crappiest of winters. Obviously further east and lower we need a colder airmass, but there is a reason why a good chunk of ern mass averages 8-13" in March.

Giving up in March at 1000' probably isn't a good idea even in the crappiest of winters. Obviously further east and lower we need a colder airmass, but there is a reason why a good chunk of ern mass averages 8-13" in March.

Well, I'm just giving up on the rest of Feb, though I suspect March blows and I have a real shot at the record.

That's impressive.... this February is going down as something special up here, too. I think we are on pace for 15% of normal up at the ski resort.

I'm sorry, but the magnitude of this suckage is impressive....I just have to appreciate it.

Would I ever wish for it again in my life or my children's (if) lives, no.....but I am trying to make the best of it.

Bomb... big, big snows CNE/NNE and maybe the Berkshires. This would redeem this winter a bit and maybe shows the GFS's idea of a storm developing further south along the front is right. As opposed to a St Lawrence River Valley cutter.

I took a look at the WunderMap 12Z ECMWF output when I got in this afternoon, and wasn’t too surprised when I saw that this thread had picked up a bit. That 12Z run basically has three potential systems coming through starting on Wednesday, with that third one really showing some big snow potential. It was quite a change from what the 00z run showed, so I guess we’ll have to see if this is a real trend/change. BTV talks about the three systems in their long term discussion from this afternoon. While there may be some warmth, this is certainly a more active weather pattern than the past couple of weeks:

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...

AS OF 340 PM EST SUNDAY...EXTENDED PORTION OF THE FORECAST WILL BE ACTIVE BUT MILD. PERIOD BEGINS WITH A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM NORTH OF THE GREAT LAKES ON WEDNESDAY MORNING...SLOWLY LIFTING NORTHEASTWARD THROUGH CANADA. OUR REGION WILL SEE SOME RAIN SHOWER ACTIVITY...ESPECIALLY ACROSS OUR NORTHERN ZONES. TEMPERATURES ON WEDNESDAY WILL BE INFLUENCED BY WARM AIR ADVECTION AND REACH THE MID TO UPPER 40S. ANOTHER WEAKER LOW WILL CROSS OUR FORECAST AREA WEDNESDAY NIGHT...RAIN SHOWERS WILL CHANGE OVER TO SNOW SHOWERS WITH THIS FEATURE AS TEMPERATURES DROP INTO THE 20S. PROGRESSIVE UPPER LEVEL WEST SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW REMAINS OVER THE REGION. ANOTHER STRONGER LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL APPROACH FROM THE SOUTHERN GREAT LAKES THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. GFS AND ECMWF START TO DIVERGE AT THIS POINT WITH ECMWF HAVING A SLOWER SOLUTION. THEREFORE...HAVE CHANCE FOR RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS MENTIONED FROM ABOUT THURSDAY THROUGH SATURDAY FROM USING A BLEND OF THESE TWO MODELS. BY SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY A RIDGE OF SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD INTO THE AREA.

I'm pretty confident the 2/23 storm will give us a better chance of a few thunderstorms than it will snow

Some of the ensemble members turn it into an absolute bomb to our west...that wouldat least be exciting for wind potential. Euro ensemble showing a lot more uncertainty though on where it goes or how strong it gets

Archived