• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 23 Disorganized Mess

HoarfrostHubb

if anyone gives a hoot the UKMET puts that bomb center on Porland, Maine.

Doens't matter though - clearly a windy rain bomb the ends as hill-top denuding isallobaric wind event. In fact, that's about as perfect a set up for that as I've ever scene. May as well be p-wave off an a-bomb. Good grief!

in fact ... that needs a thread:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if anyone gives a hoot the UKMET puts that bomb center on Porland, Maine.

Doens't matter though - clearly a windy rain bomb the ends as hill-top denuding isallobaric wind event. In fact, that's about as perfect a set up for that as I've ever scene. May as well be p-wave off an a-bomb. Good grief!

in fact ... that needs a thread:

:weenie:

no really thou has the interior of SNE had any icing storms past the 20'th of february during the daylight hours

There relatively infrequent ... but, as much as that migh have something to do with sun angle, it may also have a lot to do with the difference in the mid level thermal fields at this time of year.

Ice storms are more common in late November through mid December, though are certainly not limited to that time span - duh. The reason for that is because the season's first cold shots are often low-level loaded, where the mid level partial thickness' have not yet caught up with the seasonal slide. By the time you get to latter February, the mid levels are about as cold as they are going to get - in the means. Obviously local scale events will perturb that generalization.

Icing model is that you have a substantive partial thickness aloft that is above freezing, with a partial thickness below that is at or below freezing. Water droplets become super cooled as they fall through 29F air (for example) and are thus physically prone to freezing almost immediately upon contact with anything exposed to that same air. If the lower level column is too tall, sleet results.

There relatively infrequent ... but, as much as that migh have something to do with sun angle, it may also have a lot to do with the difference in the mid level thermal fields at this time of year.

Ice storms are more common in late November through mid December, though are certainly not limited to that time span - duh. The reason for that is because the season's first cold shots are often low-level loaded, where the mid level partial thickness' have not yet caught up with the seasonal slide. By the time you get to latter February, the mid levels are about as cold as they are going to get - in the means. Obviously local scale events will perturb that generalization.

Icing model is that you have a substantive partial thickness aloft that is above freezing, with a partial thickness below that is at or below freezing. Water droplets become super cooled as they fall through 29F air (for example) and are thus physically prone to freezing almost immediately upon contact with anything exposed to that same air. If the lower level column is too tall, sleet results.

I remember an event in April when I was in high school down near Albany, NY, where we got over a half inch of ice. Lost power and had school off... I want to say it was my senior year in 2003. I remember a few inches of snow/sleet and then a half inch of ice. Killington, VT and Glens Falls, NY area got like two feet of snow. It was one of those long, steady overrunning events with a west to east moisture train oscillating north and south like one giant lake effect band.

Doubt it.

Oh yeah I wasn't saying I think it'll happen, just saying what the model shows. Its at least interesting to think about. It looks like it would only be cold enough at night and at 1,000ft and above.

Check out early next week, too. Too bad this is the 18z GFS but honestly it wouldn't matter if it was any run of any models... they have been atrocious this year so its hard to even put any stock into a given model solution.

Oh yeah I wasn't saying I think it'll happen, just saying what the model shows. Its at least interesting to think about. It looks like it would only be cold enough at night and at 1,000ft and above.

Check out early next week, too. Too bad this is the 18z GFS but honestly it wouldn't matter if it was any run of any models... they have been atrocious this year so its hard to even put any stock into a given model solution.

Thankfully, while the rest of these guys are prancing around in their euro style thong swim wear declaring Winter over, we'll be able to ski and ski some more. If nothing else NNE ski areas will end up doing alright over the next month. It's nice to know that even under the most hostile of weather patterns we have the ability to get/make/hold snow. This season has been a testament to the resilience of the eastern ski areas and eastern skiers. If you will it it's not a dream.

Thankfully, while the rest of these guys are prancing around in their euro style thong swim wear declaring Winter over, we'll be able to ski and ski some more. If nothing else NNE ski areas will end up doing alright over the next month. It's nice to know that even under the most hostile of weather patterns we have the ability to get/make/hold snow. This season has been a testament to the resilience of the eastern ski areas and eastern skiers. If you will it it's not a dream.

LOL

Hey Pete, hope all is well, just checking out the vids out of MRG, impressed with the conditions up there.

You are the leading disciple of ULLR. You make him/her proud every day. I shrink in your presence.

Archived