• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb. 18-20, 2012 Disco/Analysis

Poimen

12z GFS ens mean @ 96hrs, maybe giving an early indication where the ens members are heading... Not good (TN folks excluded), obviously, signal growing stronger for a deepening low situated on or just off the NC/VA coast at day 4.

HPC model disco from around 11:30am, wonder if they saw the 12z UKMET yet

..SHORTWAVE TROUGH ENTERING THE PLAINS/MIDWEST FRI-SAT...

PREFERENCE: ECMWF

THE GFS APPEARS TO HAVE WORSE INITIALIZATION OF THE TROUGH'S

PLACEMENT OVER BRITISH COLUMBIA AND NUNAVUT THIS MORNING COMPARED

TO THE NAM/ECMWF. MEANWHILE...THE GFS IS MOST AGGRESSIVE IN

ALLOWING AN UPSTREAM PERTURBATION CURRENTLY OVER THE PACIFIC TO

CUT THROUGH THE SHORTWAVE RIDGE OVER THE CANADIAN ROCKIES ON

THURSDAY...WHICH THEN PHASES WITH THE NORTHERN STREAM AND SLOWS

THE ENTIRE GFS SOLUTION. THE COMBINATION OF WORSE INITIALIZATION

AND QUESTIONABLE AND EVEN SUSPICIOUS PHASING OF THE SEPARATE

STREAMS IS SUFFICIENT TO DISCARD THE GFS PARTICULARLY LATE IN THE

PERIOD. AMONG THE REMAINING SOLUTIONS...THE NAM BECOMES SLIGHTLY

FASTER THAN THE 00Z ECMWF/UKMET/CANADIAN WHICH ARE ALL IN

AGREEMENT. GIVEN THE NARROWER WINDOW FOR DATA ASSIMILATION IN THE

NAM VERSUS THE OTHER REMAINING SOLUTIONS...ALONG WITH THE

CLUSTERING OF THE NON-NCEP MEMBERS...THE PREFERENCE IS FOR THE

ECMWF.

CONFIDENCE: LESS THAN AVERAGE

Anyone remember the write-up prior to the 12/26/10 storm, something about "all the models appear to be suffering from feedback." :lol:

12z UKMET is actually just inland at 96, Newport News/Norfolk area

Model madness at it's best...with the UKMet looking how it does I have a bad feeling about the Euro...but the way things are going it's likely to show a raging blizzard for our area.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give that cold rain guarantee below 1,200 FT; say likely below 2,000 FT; and, maybe even below 3,000 FT except for the very end. Though models have not exactly converged on track, surface highs, north/south stream interaction, or phasing issues, none are showing cold enough. Some have the phasing introducing too much WAA up-front for the back edge to even matter. Some have non-phasing tracking too far south and not pulling in cold air to areas with precip. Everything in between is too warm also. GSP and MRX have both basically punted except maybe mountains.

Even the mountains will struggle. Like GSP says highest elevations might start as ice due to immediate sfc air. Then WAA aloft and no CAD, no CAD just like Monday night but much warmer, spells rain even in the mountains. Though 546 can get it done above 3,000 FT, the 552 won't work when it starts this mild. The warm nose aloft GSP talks about prevents. Unlike the lower elevation cold rain guarantee, mountains should switch to snow on the back side. It won't be until thickness drops below 546; right at 546 probably won't do. If a comma head develops then accumulation would still be in the cards in the mountains.

Biggest missing piece is a really good cold high pressure system. I really can't see this trending towards what we need. Missing a 50/50 low, also the energy over the lakes is not going to help us but it could mean kaboom for the northeast if the track is right.

that seems to be the biggest missing piece all winter so far. other than a few quick cold shots, there just hasnt been the abundance of cold air like the last few years. evap cooling, dynamics etc can work for some areas, but really without a supply of cold air a big snow storm just doesnt appear too likely

Quick glance over the 12z GFS mems coming out on e-wall, spread appears to be narrowing but still a fair amount of difference in specifics. Maybe 1/4 still picking up on some energy near the lakes, a couple MECS KU types in there, p001 runs a mid 980's into central TN before transferring it off the Delmarva, 3 maybe offering a slight hope for changeover in NC but marginal at best...

f102.gif

I'll give that cold rain guarantee below 1,200 FT; say likely below 2,000 FT; and, maybe even below 3,000 FT except for the very end. Though models have not exactly converged on track, surface highs, north/south stream interaction, or phasing issues, none are showing cold enough. Some have the phasing introducing too much WAA up-front for the back edge to even matter. Some have non-phasing tracking too far south and not pulling in cold air to areas with precip. Everything in between is too warm also. GSP and MRX have both basically punted except maybe mountains.

Even the mountains will struggle. Like GSP says highest elevations might start as ice due to immediate sfc air. Then WAA aloft and no CAD, no CAD just like Monday night but much warmer, spells rain even in the mountains. Though 546 can get it done above 3,000 FT, the 552 won't work when it starts this mild. The warm nose aloft GSP talks about prevents. Unlike the lower elevation cold rain guarantee, mountains should switch to snow on the back side. It won't be until thickness drops below 546; right at 546 probably won't do. If a comma head develops then accumulation would still be in the cards in the mountains.

<Flag> Improper deployment of the Cold Rain guarantee. 15 yard penalty. Replay the down. :)

But as it turns out, you're likely to be right with your assessment. This whole thing is turning out way too warm...marginal at the very best. I don't expect the Euro to show a better scenario.

@102 moisture is getting thrown into NC and it's close at 850's for WNC. Line runs along I-40. Race for the cold air to get there. One problem though is thickness...probably not conducive for snow.

Euro seems locked into this solution, it's virtually identical to the 0z run as far as I can tell. Quite the model showdown developing.

Euro says NO to the NE and MA...let the cliff diving for them begin. Moisture never really makes it north of NC.

At least this run is "better" for the SE....seeing temps cold enough even on the back end for snow at RDU is something and not just because it's MBY...at least it's not the GFS.

At least this run is "better" for the SE....seeing temps cold enough even on the back end for snow at RDU is something and not just because it's MBY...at least it's not the GFS.

Well I think that's a big IF it's conducive for snow on the back end. It's certainly a race between the cold air and moisture leaving. Bad thing about every run is the SFC temps but if we could at least get some token flakes out of the dammed thing I would be happy.

For the past couple days I have felt this storm could be our last chance for something good east of the mountains. Those hopes looks to have washed away. Bring on severe weather season.

I am with ya. Bring on warmer weather. I said that I would not waver until around the 15th. As for now, the towel is not thrown in, but I am real close:

post-1062-0-47943400-1329330342.jpg

Yeah, we probably would see some flakes, per the Euro, not many though. We need it a smidge more SE.

Euro says NO to the NE and MA...let the cliff diving for them begin. Moisture never really makes it north of NC.

Bulk of the moisture moves through central NC (from I77-95 roughly) between 102-114 hrs, at 102 2mT maybe into the upper 30's for GSO / areas just N & W of CLT, @ 108, most of NC is in the 30's, although any <32F at the surface is confined to the NW mountains. Comparing to 0z, about the same @ 850 valid Sun 1pm, 0C isotherm runs from south of Richmond to around Mooresville, slightly colder than 0z along 77 in NC, but more WAA into the Coastal Plain. I do like that ~1000mb coming off the SC coast just north of CHS at 102hrs though, still kind of strung out, but better defined and stronger compared to 0z. @ 114 looks like 988 a couple hundred miles east of HAT. Summation, it cooled slightly from 0z, certainly stronger, but still no dice...

Bulk of the moisture moves through central NC (from I77-95 roughly) between 102-114 hrs, at 102 2mT maybe into the upper 30's for GSO / areas just N & W of CLT, @ 108, most of NC is in the 30's, although any <32F at the surface is confined to the NW mountains. Comparing to 0z, about the same @ 850 valid Sun 1pm, 0C isotherm runs from south of Richmond to around Mooresville, slightly colder than 0z along 77 in NC, but more WAA into the Coastal Plain. I do like that ~1000mb coming off the SC coast just north of CHS at 102hrs though, still kind of strung out, but better defined and stronger compared to 0z. @ 114 looks like 988 a couple hundred miles east of HAT. Summation, it cooled slightly from 0z, certainly stronger, but still no dice...

It did look close once the low moved just off shore....at this point who knows, but Allan has the right of it; best bet is to go with the Euro right now.

Archived