Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Feb. 18-20, 2012 Disco/Analysis

Poimen

It often comes to drastically different solutions because the 84 hour NAM

is so often in lala land compared to the GFS. The DGEX, even very early in its run, is often so bad because of the garbage just fed into it by the 84 hour NAM as opposed to the then just introduced GFS influence.

It is my understanding that the NAM doesn't feed anything into the DGEX. It is the GFS forecast at 78 hours that is fed into the lateral boundary conditions of the DGEX. The DGEX takes the GFS 78 hour forecast and then begins to run with the NAM model configuration.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It often comes to drastically different solutions because the 78 hour NAM

is so often in lala land compared to the GFS. The DGEX, even very early in its run, is often so bad because of the garbage just fed into it by the 78 hour NAM as opposed to the then just introduced GFS influence.

If you'll read the post again - you'll see that its the NAM algos running on GFS progged conditions.

Its not ingesting any data from the NAM. Its only using the NAM's software with GFS output at 84. Its supposed to yield a higher resolution 4-8 day range of the GFS, but it fails miserably.

If you'd read the article posted, you would see that.

It is my understanding that the NAM doesn't feed anything into the DGEX. It is the GFS forecast at 78 hours that is fed into the lateral boundary conditions of the DGEX. The DGEX takes the GFS 78 hour forecast and then begins to run with the NAM model configuration.

Someone please clarify. Now I'm confused. Have I been incorrect in assuming that the DGEX is handed off the prior 84 (or 78) hour NAM solution?

Morning HPC disco...

AMONG LATEST

GUIDANCE THE 00Z GFS IS THE CLEAR EXTREME IN BEING FASTER WITH ITS

SRN STREAM SHRTWV AND DEEP/SWD/CLOSED WITH ITS NRN STREAM ENERGY

TO YIELD A VERY DEEP/NWD SFC SYSTEM. ONCE DISCOUNTING THE 00Z GFS

THE REMAINING SFC LOW SPREAD IS STILL QUITE BROAD AS OF EARLY DAY

4 SUN WITH ONE OR MORE CENTERS POSSIBLE IN AN AREA FROM THE SERN

CONUS TO OFFSHORE THE CNTRL-SRN MID ATLC COAST. THE 00Z ECMWF

WHICH SHOWS ITS BEST DEFINED SFC LOW NEAR THE SERN COAST EARLY SUN

IS CLOSER TO HPC CONTINUITY OVER THE PAST DAY. THE 00Z CMC IS

SLOWEST WITH ITS SERN CONUS SFC LOW. THE ECMWF MEAN IS MORE

BALANCED BETWEEN THE SWRN/NERN SIDE OF THE SPREAD WHILE THE GEFS

MEAN/06Z GFS AND TO SOME DEGREE 00Z UKMET EMPHASIZE A LEADING WAVE

AS OF EARLY SUN. FOR NOW WILL LEAN CLOSER TO THE 00Z ECMWF TO

MAINTAIN SOME CONTINUITY WITH ANY 12Z GUIDANCE TRENDS BEING

INCORPORATED FOR THE FINAL FCST.

Question for mets: What if the s/w holds together and remains closed all the way through to the Atlantic? The 12z NAM shows a gorgeous 850 low over East Texas, presumably getting ready to march east across the south -- obviously big cutoffs come with their own built-in cold air mechanism as is seen over Texas on this run -- could this tranlsate further east???

I think Robert is close on the 04 analog if that happens(in setup only, after that who knows). That would allow a few things to evolve.

. 1) this would allow the HP below sitting over Iowa/Wisconsin to slide into the east coast in time for enough cold air damming to make sfc temps marginally good enough for wet snow. That HP is on the back side of the shortwave that keeps showing up on the models over the great lakes. This is the s/w the gfs was phasing with the system last night. Which looked unrealistic to me.

nam_namer_084_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

2) It would make this a Monday system b/c the gfs speeds this up once it starts interacting with the polar jet. 3)It would really amp up the dynamical cooling possibilities as you can see over texas. If the nam/ggem combo is correct then this would be a major snowstorm over the whole state.

Gawx - I think it's a common misconception. But look at hour 90on the dgex and compare to hour 84 on the nam.

And again - if you read the dgex site, it says it pretty clearly. I got it backwards in my first post, but that's why it looks like it goes crazy when the nam looks good at 84 and dissimilar from the gfs at the same hour.

I think Robert is close on the 04 analog if that happens(in setup only, after that who knows). That would allow a few things to evolve.

. 1) this would allow the HP below sitting over Iowa/Wisconsin to slide into the east coast in time for enough cold air damming to make sfc temps marginally good enough for wet snow. That HP is on the back side of the shortwave that keeps showing up on the models over the great lakes. This is the s/w the gfs was phasing with the system last night. Which looked unrealistic to me.

2) It would make this a Monday system b/c the gfs speeds this up once it starts interacting with the polar jet. 3)It would really amp up the dynamical cooling possibilities as you can see over texas. If the nam/ggem combo is correct then this would be a major snowstorm over the whole state.

What storm from 2004 did he mention?

The GFS remains much quicker with the evolution of things when compared to the NAM. At 78 hours the GFS has the low over SW Alabama, while the NAM is near Houston. The NAM keeps the streams more seperate through this process while the GFS opens up the SW low and begins to phase, this results in a faster, more intense system, but also slows down the northern stream s/w and accompanying cold front. Therefore it is likely this run will show a strong storm but snow will likely not be the predominant type in the SE.

My issue with the GFS starts around 51-54 hrs, not buying that the southern stream just opens up like that... Vort is strong and my best guess is the GFS is having some difficulty resolving that, at 54 you can see all that energy near the base, and to envision that somehow it just opens up between 51 and 54 hrs is a stretch.

gfs_namer_051_500_vort_ht_s.gif

gfs_namer_054_500_vort_ht_s.gif

Especially when looking at the difference between this run and the 9z SREF

gfs_namer_072_500_vort_ht_s.gif

open wave in S TX...

f75.gif

compared to potent ULL still in MX

It's almost comical to compare the 500mb map for the 12z and 6z GFS:

The 12z has our main s/w over northern Alabama -- on the 6z it was over southern Miss.

The 6z had a nice s/w over southern. Ill. On the 12z it's pretty much gone.

But a new surprise s/w has shown up over eastern NC on the 12z that wasn't there at all on the 6z.

The Pacific NW and the Great Lakes are similarly incongruous. This model is terrible.

If the CMC stays in line with it's previous runs and the NAM...the GooFuS is probably out to lunch. Gotta see what the good Doc has to say about this as well. What a disaster this must be for anyone paid to make a forecast. At this point I would probably go with sunny and 50 as well I mean why not?

Of course after I post that, take a look at the UKMET and it looks like the GFS, at-least at 96hrs, ~995 off the VA Capes, maybe a little too far east for a NE hit based on 120hrs, but not by much

UN96-21.GIF?15-17\

Archived