CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 11-12, 2012 Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

NorEastermass128

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not getting anything tonight..none of us are..look forward to the 2 light events during the work week and then maybe one big bomb late next weekend and then spring arrives

okx mentions coating this evening with H5 trough well modeled on nam sim radars and easily seen on radar now, unfortunately you are too far ne:(

i didnt watch too closely other than checking the 12z run of the GFS and GEMs daily this past week, as well as the 12z and 00z of the euro....never looked at the NAM.

iu dont think this was too much of a major fail by the models, i didnt examine closely but a very quick take, there wasnt much to suggest going over 2 inches anywhere other than on the cape.

It was pretty bad for inside of 24 hours. They had decent measurable back pretty far just from the storm snows. That didn't play out. RGEM/GGEM were by far the best. I doubt the Cape is going to record .5 melted from this 6-7 hour period as was previously advertised by so many models.

well its funny if you look out the window and just dont' look down it's really ripping pretty good...lol

but going back and forth between 3/4 and 1.5 mile type stuff with temps above freezing is just killing this. it's doing a little better right now given everything is finally firmly coated with some accumulation but that has taken forever to happen.

same here, nightime I'd have 2-3" already. It isn't just the warm ground or just the radiation, it's both. Bad timing, like everything else this year.

it's totally like a spring storm too...areas under the trees are basically dripping.

Will probably knows the year, late April somwhere between 87 and 90. We were at baseball practice when a light rain shower became snow and we got about 2 or so inches. Looks just like this. Mush, bare under trees, wet roads etc. For all intents and purposes this is like an April storm.

I honestly wonder how early we'll all leaf out this year. This could be one of the earliest leaf outs we've ever had.

Well the flowers really did start blooming down the Cape this week. Not poking through, fully in growth and blooming. There are some fruit trees here, pear trees in particular that seem to be bulging already. I worry that if we ever do get a hard cold snap in late February/March it could be devastating as I fully expect we will see trees etc weeks early this year.

I think we still get another couple of shots. We weren't far off this time from a pretty large storm. At least something big formed in the Atlantic. I don't think the futility record stands in Boston, just kind of think we do see another 2-3 legitimate shots and maybe one that dumps a widespread 4-8. Predominantly warm, but with some shots.

I don't think ever in my life have I had more snow than Albany for a winter, something has to give.

some mets in the NYC/PHIL thread mentioned the BL temp didn't cool as much as they thought it would....even w/ the qpf they received

i know 128 area was never really supposed to get good snow fall rates for long but they were still supposed to accumulate 1-2 during the 11-4 period....just wondering if that would have materialized with BL temps

Archived