• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring and Severe weather speculation

SpartyOn

I agree with the other poster. If these cold intrusions only penetrate Southward just to the Middle Midwest and Great Lakes/Ohio Valley then that is the region that is going to see a heck of a severe weather season. The fast Pacific flow that has dominated the Winter, well if that buckles into a good system combined with cold air intrusions not getting to far South, another alarm sounds there for an active season. But I also can't help the fact that a lot of times Mild Winters can be followed up here by cold, miserable Springs sooooo..... I'll say very active from Kansas, Oklahoma over through Ohio and Kentucky.... probably a bit less active further North of that.

I'm leaning toward an average to above average season on the whole with things not waiting very long to get underway. In other words I don't think it will be one of those years where the Lakes/OV are waiting until May or June for activity. This is based on 2nd year Nina climo, a local correlation I ran regarding January severe weather and the lack of deeply penetrating arctic airmasses up to this point, all of which admittedly have limited value but probably better than nothing.

If the continued train of steam rolling PAC energy is still moving we will get an above normal year.

Doubtful and almost highly doubtful that March will end up on below side in regards to temps and activity. This pattern is locked in so tight and it won't be long before significant warm ups move on up. Yes it could go the other way but it apears it might not. Classic case of moisture laden GOM air slamming into modified pacific and arctic air.

The GoM being as juiced as it is (as if we needed anymore indicators, we have an mandarin Invest in February) has already added a stronger element than last year in potential thermodynamic/kinematic influence of systems, considering interactions between cold air masses that do manage to sink south will likely have a larger temperature gradient (i.e. stronger mid/upper level jets and possibly more instability, unless the cold air intrusions don't prove as potent). If this does happen to occur from March through May and we get some substantial long waves and stronger short wave troughs, then I could see some major, potentially red-letter events taking place, but that is really all just speculation and whatnot at this point.

This is just circumstantial, but I saw this post over in the NYC metro that compared our temps this winter to 2006. 2006 was a pretty good year for Mid-Mississippi Tornado Outbreaks and I believe was (or possibly still is) a record year for tornadoes in Illinois. Indiana had a pretty active year as well.

March 12, 2006 was a supremely interesting day watching all the svr weather move from KS to IL on radar and forums. There were long track tornadoes and two that hit Springfield Illinois.

This is just circumstantial, but I saw this post over in the NYC metro that compared our temps this winter to 2006. 2006 was a pretty good year for Mid-Mississippi Tornado Outbreaks and I believe was (or possibly still is) a record year for tornadoes in Illinois. Indiana had a pretty active year as well.

IL had over 120 and IN had 25. Gigantic difference for neighboring states.

March 12, 2006 was a supremely interesting day watching all the svr weather move from KS to IL on radar and forums. There were long track tornadoes and two that hit Springfield Illinois.

Gotta love sextuple state supercells...

Then you had the major one on Apr. 2nd with numerous fatalities in the Memphis CWA with that big tri-state sup.

Gotta love sextuple state supercells...

Then you had the major one on Apr. 2nd with numerous fatalities in the Memphis CWA with that big tri-state sup.

And that same day--exactly three weeks after the two F2s here in Springfield (but my neighborhood, close to the Capitol Complex, was missed by about 1 1/2 miles to the south--other than some blown limbs, frazzled nerves, and no electricity for 8 hours here), there were two other tornadoes in nearly the same parts of south Springfield that were affected on that fateful March 12. From the ILX Weather Trivia page for Apr. 2, 2006:

"An outbreak of 25 tornadoes occurred across central and southeas Illinois. While most of these were of F0 or F1 intensity, one strong tornado tracked across Macon County southwest of Decatur. Several homes and businesses were damaged in Taylorville and Pana; two tornadoes moved across southern parts of Springfield, affecting nearly the same locations as the March 12 tornadoes."

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ilx/trivia/trivia.php?m=4&d=2

And then later that year--July 19, 2006--Springfield also got in on some of the action in the Busch Stadium derecho (hitting here about an hour or two before reaching St. Louis--mainly wind damage here but activated sirens and rekindling the March 12 tornado fears). And then the ice storm/6-8 inches of snow as 2006 came to a close, on Nov. 30-Dec. 1.

For our sake in central Illinois, I hope this mild winter comparable to 2005-06 doesn't provide an omen to what this year's severe weather season may hold.

March outbreaks always see go to the violent side of the equation.

EC has a couple of Spring maps posted.

s234fe1t_s.gif

s234fe1p_s.gif

I'm leaning toward an average to above average season on the whole with things not waiting very long to get underway. In other words I don't think it will be one of those years where the Lakes/OV are waiting until May or June for activity. This is based on 2nd year Nina climo, a local correlation I ran regarding January severe weather and the lack of deeply penetrating arctic airmasses up to this point, all of which admittedly have limited value but probably better than nothing.

Some of my musings agree with this. First and foremost, the fact that the Gulf SSTs are running above normal everywhere, with growing areas of +1 - 1.5 has to be favorable for a faster start. We've already seen how quickly moisture has been able to return this year, and I think this trend will continue. I don't think the Gulf is ready to turn over either. The lack of sustained cold this winter, means that this isn't just the surface water that is above normal. There is some depth to this.

Another favorable factor will be the weakening La Nina. Most forecasts at least weaken it, some dissipating it all together. Local reasearch has found a tendency for more active weather following a La Nina. Nationally the statisitcs are a little murkier, due to the washing out of signals in various regions (i.e. El Nino favoring Gulf Coast outbreaks). There are weak signals towards stronger and longer tornadoes as well as larger outbreaks during La Nina conditions as well.

Lack of deep snow cover will help facilitate warm intrusions making it farther north early on too.

I agree with the other poster. If these cold intrusions only penetrate Southward just to the Middle Midwest and Great Lakes/Ohio Valley then that is the region that is going to see a heck of a severe weather season. The fast Pacific flow that has dominated the Winter, well if that buckles into a good system combined with cold air intrusions not getting to far South, another alarm sounds there for an active season. But I also can't help the fact that a lot of times Mild Winters can be followed up here by cold, miserable Springs sooooo..... I'll say very active from Kansas, Oklahoma over through Ohio and Kentucky.... probably a bit less active further North of that.

Then my gut screams to watch out for this. Eventually these positive anomalies will try and balance out. For instance, Moline was +7, +6.5 and so far (early I know) +9.5 in DJF. Regression to the mean wouldn't look so hot. So I guess my gut feeling has a tiny amount of science behind it. ;)

There are negatives and positives heading into the season...

Positives:

-The gulf has been relatively undisturbed.

-There has been some relief to drought conditions in portions of the plains.

-There is the lack of a deep snow cover over a wide area.

Negatives:

-There is still a widespread drought in place across the Gulf Coast/Plains/Southwest.

-The continuing (and more widespread?) drought could lead to greater EML advection.

Obviously several of these things could change between now and when the season usually ramps up in late March/April.

There are negatives and positives heading into the season...

Positives:

-The gulf has been relatively undisturbed.

-There has been some relief to drought conditions in portions of the plains.

-There is the lack of a deep snow cover over a wide area.

Negatives:

-There is still a widespread drought in place across the Gulf Coast/Plains/Southwest.

-The continuing (and more widespread?) drought could lead to greater EML advection.

Obviously several of these things could change between now and when the season usually ramps up in late March/April.

The negatives in some situations especially the significant outbreaks actually act as positives so I would be leery of labelling them as negative.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived