joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big PNA ridge that the models had a couple of days ago is now gone. The euro ensembes continue to look like dog poo and the NAO doesn't look like it will go negative. This has been the same theme this winter. What a terrible winter.

I tried to caution people here that the modeled pna ridge was a pipe dream, my posts were deleted.

I tried to caution people here that the modeled pna ridge was a pipe dream, my posts were deleted.

it stays raging positive for the entire 18z gfs run and has been supported by ensembles strongly. People can easily play negative nancy behind a computer screen and every one here knows you do that

The big PNA ridge that the models had a couple of days ago is now gone. The euro ensembes continue to look like dog poo and the NAO doesn't look like it will go negative. This has been the same theme this winter. What a terrible winter.

The NAO was always in question; it was never going to be like 2009.

Finally a persistent block showing up in the long range, working with a pulsating PNA and hopefully some MJO help and we will be tracking a snowstorm before you know it. ;)

It's easy to be negative and then its ever EASIER to admit when you're wrong when its ripping snow outside. It happened all last year..so please...be negative

Finally a persistent block showing up in the long range, working with a pulsating PNA and hopefully some MJO help and we will be tracking a snowstorm before you know it. ;)

It's easy to be negative and then its ever EASIER to admit when you're wrong when its ripping snow outside. It happened all last year..so please...be negative

Except, there is no cold air even remotely close to the CONUS. Behind the front to our west, it is still warm.

Except, there is no cold air even remotely close to the CONUS. Behind the front to our west, it is still warm.

snowcover in the U.S is only like 19%, compared to last years 50%. Not good if you want arctic air, but who the hell wants frigid temperatures. Give me 32 degrees and heavy snow and that will be fine

I think the strangest thing is, while it feels warm, it's not really a shocking feeling. Because we haven't had winter for more than 2 days in a row.

The warm weather almost feels normal because this is what we've been dealing with since November 1, maybe this means that once it gets hot that it won't feel so bad, sort of like Floridians who adapt to the warmth that 90F and humid doesn't even feel bad.

I think the strangest thing is, while it feels warm, it's not really a shocking feeling. Because we haven't had winter for more than 2 days in a row.

That's true. Any other normal year and this would have been dramatic. I can count on one hand the number of days I've felt cold this year and that's not good when we're over 2 months into winter.

Anyone check out Jeff Masters blog today in regards to the tundra moving north? Pretty relevant to what we have going on as i said earlier my daffodils are coming up big time. Without a sustained period of temps below 20 during a given winter we could start planting zone 7 plants around here, which opens up some heartier palms. I'm all about planting a palm tree and having it make it a few years.

snowcover in the U.S is only like 19%, compared to last years 50%. Not good if you want arctic air, but who the hell wants frigid temperatures. Give me 32 degrees and heavy snow and that will be fine

You and me both dude. Maybe we can sneak something in, then it can torch from then on out.

I rememeber when we had our little 5 inch snow storm with temperatures in the 20's about 10 days ago and thinking "how chilly" it feels walking outside. Normally, 20's with snow is like bathwater for me...but it had been *so long* since I had experienced it, it actually felt a a bit strange. At that moment I thought back to a scene in The Deer Hunter when Robert DeNiro returns from 'Nam to Pennsylvania and is taken aback by the normal autumn chill in the air...

Anyone check out Jeff Masters blog today in regards to the tundra moving north? Pretty relevant to what we have going on as i said earlier my daffodils are coming up big time. Without a sustained period of temps below 20 during a given winter we could start planting zone 7 plants around here, which opens up some heartier palms. I'm all about planting a palm tree and having it make it a few years.

Most (if not all) zone 7 plants should already thrive here, even some zone 8 plants are a possibility with some protection. The immediate NYC area borderlines on both.

Archived