• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 3-6 Plains/Midwest Storm

okie333

Sooo, what are the chances of 8"+ on the ground in downtown Denver at any point in the storm? I've got some buddies at work willing to bet that it'll be a dud since it's getting so much attention, and I wouldn't mind taking a meal off them ;)

They'll only bet on snow depth though, they won't bet on total snow accumulation as officially measured...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooo, what are the chances of 8"+ on the ground in downtown Denver at any point in the storm? I've got some buddies at work willing to bet that it'll be a dud since it's getting so much attention, and I wouldn't mind taking a meal off them ;)

They'll only bet on snow depth though, they won't bet on total snow accumulation as officially measured...

is jim cantore out there, or no?

I'd take that bet in an instant. Latest NAM showing 2 feet over Denver.

This thing is going to be sick. It is already stalling...and deeper than any guidance. Flow is backing significantly out ahead of the low across OK/KS which suggests moisture transport and LHR are going to coincide with the main upper lead anomaly. This is going to be a big beast across the Front Range and portions of KS/NE.

This thing is going to be sick. It is already stalling...and deeper than any guidance. Flow is backing significantly out ahead of the low across OK/KS which suggests moisture transport and LHR are going to coincide with the main upper lead anomaly. This is going to be a big beast across the Front Range and portions of KS/NE.

I just had a weeeeeirrrd flashback to the Blizzard of '78 (in SNE) after reading that. That is pretty much what happened with that one, and the main low was captured by the H5 low, and all that good stuff (though I was only 12 at the time and a budding amateur met, my limited understanding was not too different than it is now!!). Of course it had the entire Atlantic to work with too. But it started around noon on a Tuesday and completely f#&*3##d people up who were driving home that afternoon. This thing's bite will be readily apparent before people head to work tomorrow, which is huge. I love driving in the snow, but I'm staying the heck off the roads tomorrow.

I just had a weeeeeirrrd flashback to the Blizzard of '78 (in SNE) after reading that. That is pretty much what happened with that one, and the main low was captured by the H5 low, and all that good stuff (though I was only 12 at the time and a budding amateur met, my limited understanding was not too different than it is now!!). Of course it had the entire Atlantic to work with too. But it started around noon on a Tuesday and completely f#&*3##d people up who were driving home that afternoon. This thing's bite will be readily apparent before people head to work tomorrow, which is huge. I love driving in the snow, but I'm staying the heck off the roads tomorrow.

Good old eastern snowstorms... They're a lot easier to track than the stuff out here that appears on radar seemingly out of nowhere. I'm definitely not looking forward to driving tomorrow either... I would be loving it if I was the only one on the roads, but that won't happen. If, by some miracle, my dad's flight actually makes it, I'll be driving the 80 miles round-trip to the airport :sled:

Looks like Denver can see 20"

The NWS just put out a new warning. The entire front range urban corridor could see 12-22", with 6-10" near the Wyoming Border. This is it!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I can't believe it. the GFS from a couple days ago had some fairly good snow forecasts (note my previous post, showing the GFS showed 18" for Denver.) Maybe this will be the biggest February storm in Denver history!!!!!! This could send us to 40-50" for the season.

Forgot to mention...moved from Nashville to Denver 3 weeks ago!

We live very close to City Park.

My experience with snow in my life is 6 inches in the Atlanta area (early 90s blizzard that rocked the southeast).

What should I expect?

About 10" more snow than your previous most. :)

It's pretty awesome.

Forgot to mention...moved from Nashville to Denver 3 weeks ago!

We live very close to City Park.

My experience with snow in my life is 6 inches in the Atlanta area (early 90s blizzard that rocked the southeast).

What should I expect?

Depends on what you're doing. If you're staying at home playing in it, expect to have fun. If you plan on driving anywhere, I hope you have 4WD and/or chains and are good at dodging the other cars. It can be done without 4WD or chains (I've been doing it all year), but you'll have a hard time getting traction to start going when the red lights turn green unless you have awesome tires. Basically, be safe and have a blast!

Depends on what you're doing. If you're staying at home playing in it, expect to have fun. If you plan on driving anywhere, I hope you have 4WD and/or chains and are good at dodging the other cars. It can be done without 4WD or chains (I've been doing it all year), but you'll have a hard time getting traction to start going when the red lights turn green unless you have awesome tires. Basically, be safe and have a blast!

We have an F-150 xlt while wifes suv os in the shop...definitely going to sell my altima soon to get something with AWD or 4x4.

Anyone know how a Cayenne performs in the snow? Good deals to be had for an 08 it seems.

We have an F-150 xlt while wifes suv os in the shop...definitely going to sell my altima soon to get something with AWD or 4x4.

Anyone know how a Cayenne performs in the snow? Good deals to be had for an 08 it seems.

I've seen plenty of Cayennes around driving in the snow, but I'm not well off enough to have driven one myself.

By all means, upgrade to the Cayenne if you want it, but I wouldn't do it just because the 4WD issue. If your wife's got an SUV, you could make her take you to work on the 5-10 days/year that 4WD is actually warranted. Just my $0.02 (coming from someone who also moved here from TN, albeit the mountainous and snowier side)

On a jetblue flight leaving at 11:20. Appears we'll get out by the skin of our teeth. Pains me to leave behind a 20" storm, but family and the SB call.

Good luck! Pats rule... :) NONE of our neighbors care about the SB. Oh well.

Snowboard out on the lawn, still a bit lonely with less than a half inch so far- snow started about 6 PM but we seem to be in a bit of a hole with heavier bands all around... imagine it will fill in before long, I hope!

Hello all, Just updated my SmartCast for the region. Right now Denver area is currently under the immediate gun. Showing around 11" for the next 12 hours with snowfall rates up around 1.2" per hour. Currently showing the heaviest snowfall rates from 04Z-14Z. In addition, visibilities down to less then 1/2 mile and winds gusting up to 33mph hour. Full output updated at http://smartwxmodel.net

Quick 06Z Update. Still Tracking city of in and around the Denver area under the most significant threats. Still showing 11" of snow through 17Z. Heaviest snowfall is from now through 17Z, with the strongest snow rates of 1.2" from 7Z-11Z. WInds picking up to gusts of 35 mph and visibilities down < 1/2 mile. In addition, Goodland now showing as the next area under the extreme threat, with 5" in the next 12 through 12Z, with the heaviest snow from 04/00Z to 09Z. Date uploaded...

About 2''...maybe 2.5''...here in Castle Pines North at 6000 ft. It was very light up to about 8PM, with more wind than snow. The snow is light-to-moderate at best. Honestly, if I didnt know better, I would think this is a fairly weak/moderate system. Snowfall rates unimpressive so far and the system looks much more impressive on radar than on the ground. Hoping for more heavy snowfall rates overnight.

Secondary roads are snowpacked but easily passable thus far. There wasn't any rain prior to the onset of snow snow so ice buildup (at least here) seems minimal. Nighty night.

http://www.nws.noaa....prodtype=public

14.0 1M SE of Ellicott, CO. DAMNNN

look at the pueblo, co radar and click STORM HISTORY notice that small dark blue circle east of colorado springs ....that is where ellicott is. .6 to 1.0 precip has fallen . BOOM

Also 7.5 inches as of 1230 EST with drifts to 17 inches also in el paso county but 6 miles SSW Calhan, Co

Archived