amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 3-6 Plains/Midwest Storm

okie333

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just 6.3" on the snowboard at 6:30 AM, around 7" average in the yard. Nomad, I think I am about 7 miles E of you. KAPA only had about 0.3" W.E.- wonder how accurate that is. One thing that was interesting is that we had a NNW wind most of the night. I wonder if there was a little downsloping. Still snowing light-moderate here and the wind is more northeasterly. Maybe we'll catch up.

10.5 inches here in Castle Pines North as of 9AM today. The snow did pick up considerably overnight - after midnight when I went to bed. It's still snowing at a pretty good clip. Not the heaviest rates I've seen, but definitely above average. The wind is brutal and the drifts are up to 15 inches in my backyard.

17Z Update: Smartcast showing in and around the Denver region with the heaviest snowfall accumulations through 04Z. Looking at an additional 6" of snow across that area. 4" of additional snow for place around Ogallala, Sidney, and North Platte regions. Still showing winds gusting to around 35 mph in and around this region, so continued reduced visby and blowing snow. Data Uploaded http://smartwxmodel.net

Snow falling here at a rate of about 0.6 inches per hour. Have received about ~1.3 inches since 9:15AM - totalling around 12.3 inches. Snow seems to be tapering off however so I dont see how we'll get another ~8 inches as the forecast suggests....unless the light snow continues for a very long time.

Forgot to mention...moved from Nashville to Denver 3 weeks ago!

We live very close to City Park.

My experience with snow in my life is 6 inches in the Atlanta area (early 90s blizzard that rocked the southeast).

What should I expect?

Did you get to see the most snowfall in your life? I smiled when I read this post because I've lived in metro Atlanta most of my life and look forward to the day I move to a colder climate.

From BOU AFD last night:

...MAJOR WINTER STORM ONGOING ACROSS THE CWA

...they spelled it wrong... :)

9.3 inches storm total here at 11:30. Still underperforming a bit but very pretty.

Looks like you caught up. I'm stuck at just shy of 10". It's pretty impressive how good the roads are today.

Quite the overperformer with round one as that initial PV ejected northward. Persistent deformation banding has been dropping 6-12" across portions of western NE just north of here. I am worried (or excited) that the second PV max ejecting into KS is going to track farther NW as well. This one is going to be the real show. Some parts of central NE may push 20+" when this is done.

Quite the overperformer with round one as that initial PV ejected northward. Persistent deformation banding has been dropping 6-12" across portions of western NE just north of here. I am worried (or excited) that the second PV max ejecting into KS is going to track farther NW as well. This one is going to be the real show. Some parts of central NE may push 20+" when this is done.

I hope it doesnt track farther NW, if it does, ill be dry slotted (in lincoln, ne right now) but i am afraid it is going to happen. Oh well.....ill enjoy my 6"

thanks for the update's. i'm sure alot of the snow starved weenies on the board are dropping in here to see how this one performs or perhaps live vicariously thru areas that are snowing

BI....where is your general location .....SE neb? (Edit...N platte) jeezus i think i get screwed sometimes ...judging by the radar's storm's total precip ...i hope you live on the Northern edge/side of town. looks like N side of town got 1.25 qpf SE side of town got .25 WOW

SW parts of (denver/ adj town sw) are getting crushed

Littleton. I'm about to get in the car and drive through that band to take my daughter's friend home. Should be interesting. Heaviest snow of the whole storm here now, still not real heavy though. Closing in on a foot, will measure at 5:30.

I think a place or two in the foothills/lower mtns will end up with 5 feet. One media report from Black Hawk (30 miles W of Denver) had 48 inches.

00Z Update: Still tracking Grand Island, NE with zone with highest snowfall accumulations through 11Z. Looking at 14" of additional snowfall in this area, with a zone from 4-14Z of 1" snowfall rates and embedded in their I am showing a 2.1" snowfall rate from 07-09Z. On top of that showing wind gusts up to 36mph across this area. Next highest areas I am showing on my Smartcast is Lincoln and McCook with 8" of additional snow through 11Z, with 9-14Z being the heaviest snowfall rates up to 1.5" per hour. Full update uploaded: http://smartwxmodel.net

Has been snowing quite hard here for the past 3-4 hours. Have probably picked up another 3-4 inches over that time here (Castle Rock). I havent gone out to measure, but my guess is that we're somewhere around 16 inches. Drifts on the back porch are about 30 inches. We moved here in 2009. The only storm that compares to this one is the snowstorm of Oct 2009 when we got around 24 inches here south of the city. But that was in October so much of the snow either didnt stick or melted within a few days. Not so in February....

Edit: measurement IMBY is 30 inches as of 6:30PM. Still snowing.

Archived