PRELIM LOOK SUGGESTS SHORT WAVE TROF WILL HAVE ENOUGH AMPLITUDE

AND MOISTURE FOR FLURRIES AND SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. SURFACE

REFLECTION IS A COLD FRONT WITH SOME BAGINESS IN THE ASSOCIATED

SURFACE PRES PATTERN. AT THIS TIME THE DYNAMICS AND UPWARD MOTION

RELATIVELY WEAK AND UNORGANIZED. MAY SEE A DUSTING IN SOME

LOCATIONS...PERHAPS A HALF INCH OR SO IN THE MONADNOCKS. EXPECT

THE SNOW TO BE GONE BY THE MORNING COMMUTE EXCEPT FOR POSSIBLY

CAPE ANN AND CAPE COD.

Man those are some weird numbers. You're not supposed to have those in winter..lol. I'm surprised the NAM is so dry too...although it probably would not be able to model mesoscale things well, but this is the type of deal where it should do well. It would be nice to get the s/w further south.

Man those are some weird numbers. You're not supposed to have those in winter..lol. I'm surprised the NAM is so dry too...although it probably would not be able to model mesoscale things well, but this is the type of deal where it should do well. It would be nice to get the s/w further south.

All models for that matter. Maybe the column needs a little more saturation.

for some reason it breaks up this line, column is marginal wet like you said

for some reason it breaks up this line, column is marginal wet like you said

Well it could be something where there is a late blooming line of heavier SHSN or even RA along the south coast...once it gets its feet wet. I could see that. Either way, that's some instability right there. The column may be a little dry, but inject moisture off the south coast, and you may get some sort of feature developing, I would think. Surface based instability may be able to override any flaws in the mid levels. We'll see.

Well it could be something where there is a late blooming line of heavier SHSN or even RA along the south coast...once it gets its feet wet. I could see that. Either way, that's some instability right there. The column may be a little dry, but inject moisture off the south coast, and you may get some sort of feature developing, I would think. Surface based instability may be able to override any flaws in the mid levels. We'll see.

Geezus

NWS is on-board up here for Sunday Night...

Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 15. Wind chill values as low as zero. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 16 and 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Sunday: A slight chance of snow showers between 1pm and 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Wind chill values as low as -2. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 14 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Night: Snow showers, mainly before 4am. Low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -2. South wind 11 to 17 mph becoming northwest. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

.SHORT TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 330 PM EST SATURDAY...LATE SUNDAY AFTN INTO SUNDAY

NIGHT...MID/UPPER LVL TROF WITH POTENT 5H VORT WL CROSS OUR CWA.

THIS ENERGY ALOFT...COMBINED WITH SOME LAKE MOISTURE

INTERACTION...AND VERY STEEP 700 TO 500MB LAPSE RATES WL PRODUCE

MORE SNOW SHOWERS WITH SOME BRIEF HEAVIER BURSTS POSSIBLE. MANY OF

THE HIGHER RESOLUTION MODEL REFLECTIVITY PROGGS SHOW A RIBBON OF

ENHANCED 30 TO 40 DBZ`S MOVING ACRS OUR CWA...ASSOCIATED WITH SFC

COLD FRNT...INTERACTING WITH SOUTHWEST FLW/LAKE MOISTURE AHEAD OF

THE SYSTEM TO PRODUCE A PERIOD OF ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL. IN

ADDITION...NAM12 SHOWS STRONG UVVS BTWN 00Z AND 06Z MOVING FROM

WEST TO EAST ACRS OUR REGION...ALONG WITH SOME GOOD 850 TO 500MB

Q-VECTOR CONVERGENCE. FEEL THE SFC BOUNDARY AND DEVELOPING LLVL

CAA WL RESULT IN A 2 TO 4 HR WINDOW OF ACCUMULATING SNOW SHOWERS

WITH ACCUMULATIONS BTWN 1 AND 4 INCHES POSSIBLE. SOUNDINGS SHOW

GOOD MOISTURE....STRONG UVVS...AND BEST SNOW GROWTH REGION ALL

LINING UP FOR A BRIEF PERIOD ON SUNDAY NIGHT...WITH SOME HINTS AT

A WEAK BACKSIDE 700MB DEFORMATION BANDING DEVELOPING ACRS THE

DACKS INTO CENTRAL VT. HOWEVER...QPF WL BE LIMITED ACRS THE CPV

DUE TO SW DOWNSLOPE FLW AHEAD OF SYSTEM...WITH HIGHEST AMOUNTS

ACRS THE DACKS/PARTS OF THE GREENS. IN ADDITION...FAST MOVEMENT OF

DEEPER LAYER MOISTURE WL QUICKLY CUTOFF ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL AFT

06Z MONDAY. WL TREND TWD THE WARMER MET GUIDANCE FOR SUNDAY NIGHT

WITH LOWS IN THE TEENS MTNS TO M20S WARMER VALLEYS. MONDAY...SFC

RIDGE BUILDS ACRS OUR CWA...WITH SOME LEFTOVER UPSLOPE

FLURRIES/SNOW SHOWERS POSSIBLE ACRS THE DACKS/NORTHERN GREENS.

There seems to be plenty of moisture in the column and great instability and PVA...but for some reason the models aren't generating that much lift during this FROPA...which is why we have little qpf on them. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm going to look a lot closer at the soundings late tonight or tomorrow mornings runs and see what is going on. Usually when you see this setup, there will be modeled lift and qpf, but not always. Sometimes they bust on that part.

18Z NAM brings a nice line of snow through here tomorrow evening. It seems to be holding it together - which they often do not do this far east.

I am definitely liking where this is going... H85 temps of -10C are text book high-ratio fluff for here in the northern Greens. This could be a surprise 3-6 incher of fluff with upslope assist.

There seems to be plenty of moisture in the column and great instability and PVA...but for some reason the models aren't generating that much lift during this FROPA...which is why we have little qpf on them. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'm going to look a lot closer at the soundings late tonight or tomorrow mornings runs and see what is going on. Usually when you see this setup, there will be modeled lift and qpf, but not always. Sometimes they bust on that part.

Are you at least somewhat excited for spot 1-3 despite model output?

Yeah this run of the NAM has enough moisture, but seems to lose the synoptic lift moving east, before perking up again near the Cape. I was kind of surprised because heck...the parcels practically can rise by themselves along the south coast..lol. I would think that alone generates lift, and the models finally pick up on that when it leaves the Cape. Just seems like it may be a little too dry.

GFS seems a little dry in the lower 300mb, but goes to town near the Cape and points east it seems. It very well may be just a line of precip coming through. It's got good convergence right through 850mb or so. Not often you see a well defined kink in the 850mb height field, moving east.

Archived