• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 29th/30th

weatherwiz

Didn't see a thread on this but tomorrow night into Monday looks rather interesting. Forecast models showing a very potent shortwave energy moving overhead. Associated with the shortwave trough moving through are some incredibly cold temperatures in the mid-levels of the atmosphere. Computer models showing 500mb temps dropping to between -30C and -40C!!!!! as well as 700mb temps dropping to between -20C and -25C!!! This is about as cold as you will see here.

While there is not a great deal of moisture low-level moisture does increase throughout the night and there would be enough lift in order to produce some snow...likely in the form of squalls.

What is VERY impressive is how unstable we will be aloft...forecast models are showing TT's rising into the lower to near mid 60's!!!!! You virtually never see those numbers here...we can't even get that during the summer. mid-level lapse rates increase to between 8-9 C/KM...yes 8-9 C/KM...about as close to super-adiabatic as we will ever get here.

Have to watch out tomorrow night for a several hour window of snow squalls with thunder...could see some pretty intense snowfall rates and a few inches of snow in a short amount of time.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see a thread on this but tomorrow night into Monday looks rather interesting. Forecast models showing a very potent shortwave energy moving overhead. Associated with the shortwave trough moving through are some incredibly cold temperatures in the mid-levels of the atmosphere. Computer models showing 500mb temps dropping to between -30C and -40C!!!!! as well as 700mb temps dropping to between -20C and -25C!!! This is about as cold as you will see here.

While there is not a great deal of moisture low-level moisture does increase throughout the night and there would be enough lift in order to produce some snow...likely in the form of squalls.

What is VERY impressive is how unstable we will be aloft...forecast models are showing TT's rising into the lower to near mid 60's!!!!! You virtually never see those numbers here...we can't even get that during the summer. mid-level lapse rates increase to between 8-9 C/KM...yes 8-9 C/KM...about as close to super-adiabatic as we will ever get here.

Have to watch out tomorrow night for a several hour window of snow squalls with thunder...could see some pretty intense snowfall rates and a few inches of snow in a short amount of time.

Violently agree!

I wouldn't even be shocked to see some small hail, especially across eastern sections...LIs around -2C with SBcape between 200-300 J/KG is pretty sick this time of year.

assuming the data is right (very good gfs/nam agreement right now) something weird will happen. not sure what or where or how localized...but it's going to do something unusual i think.

assuming the data is right (very good gfs/nam agreement right now) something weird will happen. not sure what or where or how localized...but it's going to do something unusual i think.

Yeah these numbers are just flat out sick...too bad this will occur at 1 AM when everyone is asleep.

Another thing that I actually forgot to mention is there could be some gusty winds within the squalls too...winds do increase aloft and a steep lapse rate environment will lead to a well mixed atmosphere. Maybe gusts of 25-35 mph possible within the squalls.

meh

gusted over 45 in CNE last nite

Lol, are parts of that sounding absolutely unstable?

NAM Total Totals Index:       58.83 C Risk: Severe Thunderstorms probable

GFS is just sick, might be the highest prog I have seen in Winter

Total Totals Index:       62.37 C Risk: Severe Thunderstorms probable 

Vertical Totals Index:  32.60 C  

Cross Totals Index:     29.77 CK Index:                  21.65   Risk: 20-40 % chance of thunderstorms

Sweat Index:             433.84   Risk: Severe Thunderstorms possible

uh see my edit

do you remember the storm 2 winters ago

when we snow'd several inches (most of us i think) i was living in burlington, ma (i think it was jan) and then later that evening we had a line of strong thunderstorms cross new england. real powerful storms over snowpack that must have been extremely unstable as well

when we snow'd several inches (most of us i think) i was living in burlington, ma (i think it was jan) and then later that evening we had a line of strong thunderstorms cross new england. real powerful storms over snowpack that must have been extremely unstable as well

January 28, 2010

when we snow'd several inches (most of us i think) i was living in burlington, ma (i think it was jan)  and then later that evening we had a line of strong thunderstorms cross new england. real powerful storms over snowpack    that must have been extremely unstable as well

that was last winter but that was warm sector not Windex. Severe on 2 feet of snow.

Archived