• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA Winter 11-12 cont'd

MAG5035

Sun shining through clouds with light snow, 33.5. Sun melting some of the snow.

Okay, never had this happen before an arctic front - light snow with sun through thin clouds. Would the sun be enough to destabilize things a bit? I have no idea.

At the end of the snow Wednesday evening as I was getting home from work the clouds had broken up and I saw stars, the nearly full moon was shining, and it was still snowing. Wish I could have videotaped it...was quite beautiful. Then the clouds began to cover the moon back up partially while the snow still fell for a bit longer.

I've seen snow fall with dimly visible sun quite a few times before.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a career fire fighter for almost 30 years so I know how things can freeze up.

oops

At the end of the snow Wednesday evening as I was getting home from work the clouds had broken up and I saw stars, the nearly full moon was shining, and it was still snowing. Wish I could have videotaped it...was quite beautiful. Then the clouds began to cover the moon back up partially while the snow still fell for a bit longer.

I've seen snow fall with dimly visible sun quite a few times before.

Yeah, that stuff is great. I love it. One of the most amazing sights is something I've seen here and in Pittsburgh, on the fringes of lake effect areas. Sometimes snowshowers dissipate right over us, you can see it on radar. The snow is still in the air, and all the clouds disappear. You are left with diamonds falling from the sky. So cool.

I use this page to check on snowfall.

http://www.nws.noaa....cis.php?wfo=ctp

It shows I have had 8.9" of snow for the year. Jamie it says SC has had 16.9" http://nowdata.rcc-a...pubACIS_results

I don't live in State College. I live 12 miles to the west. You can drive from Philipsburg down 322 during lake effect time and go from 8-10" to 2" at our house to a coating in State College. As MAG pointed out earlier in this thread, and in these threads during events like the 1/19 clipper, we've ended up with more snow than State College. It's a year-round thing....Philipsburg gets more rain than UNV also.

I don't live in State College. I live 12 miles to the west. You can drive from Philipsburg down 322 during lake effect time and go from 8-10" to 2" at our house to a coating in State College. As MAG pointed out earlier in this thread, and in these threads during events like the 1/19 clipper, we've ended up with more snow than State College. It's a year-round thing....Philipsburg gets more rain than UNV also.

Roger....The closest port they have listed is Port Allegany.

I was just comparing SC to where you live. But I made no mention of that. Sorry about the confusion.

That shows 11.9 for MDT, about right.

If I get an inch out of the front later, I'll be happy. The snow we got a few days ago has melted off this moong in the yard. I'm snowless currently! :)

i thought we'd end up with more over night, considering it was snowing at 630 and laying. we went into wrestling match and came out about 1030, still snowing but not laying. it was snowing pretty good around midnight. we ended up with 1" but like wednesday, not much on paved surfaces. it hasn't stopped flurrying all morning.

Yep, the alleghany plateau kills off plenty of precip for us east of it. Jamie is right on the fringe of the plateau and doesnt feel the downsloping people further east get.

Light snow here. Coming down decently but temps must be warm, and the sun is faintly visible. Basically back where we started

Roger....The closest port they have listed is Port Allegany.

I was just comparing SC to where you live. But I made no mention of that. Sorry about the confusion.

Oh, no prob. That damn Allegheny Ridge is a killer.

It's falling in line this year with my one friend's theory. She has a masters in meteorology and used to live a half block from us, and she figured if there was an annual average for us is would be about 5-7" more than SC.

Light snow, sun Is almost out, 4 flakes that i can see still laying on top of the grass in one tiny spot. This winter is a joke

How old are you? Do you remember winters like 97-98 when we had about 2" for the entire winter?

Considering the pattern we've had, this winter is NOT a joke...we could be doing far, far worse.

How old are you? Do you remember winters like 97-98 when we had about 2" for the entire winter?

Considering the pattern we've had, this winter is NOT a joke...we could be doing far, far worse.

Agree, that was a terrible winter. A little off topic, but I lived in Maytown for 19 years nice place. My family still lives in the area.

Archived