• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Winter 11-12 cont'd

MAG5035

for me, when the weather gets like this, in my mind i start to ease out of winter mode and start seeing myself on the softball field. Its almost like i'm being tricked that its spring. I can smell fresh cut grass, i can see the dampness on my cleats for a early morning game or practice.......its almost like, like heaven...........then we get smacked across the face we reality that its only February, temps will drop into the teens and a storm blows in......but, thats just me!

You mean like January 1, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 27, 28, and 31?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta enjoy it now before our upper 30s and rain nor easter's in spring...you know the pattern will change giving us cool weather right as we hit the late march mark :lol:

Yay backdoor cold fronts.

I hear what canderson and sauss are saying....when I played baseball I was the same way.

Now I just don't want an April snow to destroy my outdoor planted seedlings.

1.17" QPF for MDT.... lol

i wouldnt completely buy into it just yet... if GFS is in its own world with how it is dealing with strength of the upper level energy/phasing then it may be an outlier... if others come on board (12z Euro) then maybe we have something to keep an eye on...

think we should start a new thread sometime soon?

i wouldnt completely buy into it just yet... if GFS is in its own world with how it is dealing with strength of the upper level energy/phasing then it may be an outlier... if others come on board (12z Euro) then maybe we have something to keep an eye on...

good idea with the upcoming storm... i just started one...http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/32711-central-pa-winter-contd-contd/

someone who has a pattern of luck should start it

Very cool...I'm glad we may actually get to use the new data to differentiate between rain/snow this year already.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

546 PM EST WED FEB 15 2012

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

...NWS STATE COLLEGE KCCX WILL BE UPGRADED TO DUAL POLARIZATION AND BE OUT OF SERVICE DURING LATE FEBRUARY THIS YEAR.

THE STATE COLLEGE PENNSYLVANIA WSR-88D RADAR /KCCX/ WILL BE DOWN FOR AN UPGRADE TO DUAL POLARIZATION TECHNOLOGY /DUAL-POL/ DURING THE LAST WEEK OF FEBRUARY 2012. THIS IS THE LARGEST HARDWARE UPGRADE

TO THE RADAR SINCE ITS DEPLOYMENT IN THE EARLY 1990S.

DUAL-POL TECHNOLOGY OFFERS A NEW SET OF TOOLS TO BETTER DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN RAIN...SNOW...HAIL...MIXED PRECIPITATION AND NON-PRECIPITATION ECHOES. THIS UPGRADE PROVIDES FORECASTERS WITH BETTER RAINFALL ACCUMULATION ESTIMATES AND ENHANCED INFORMATION TO MORE EFFECTIVELY FORECAST SEVERE STORMS AND WINTER WEATHER.

DUAL-POL UTILIZES A POLARIMETRIC BEAM THAT DETECTS DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION OF ATMOSPHERIC TARGETS. CONVENTIONAL RADAR ONLY DETECTS THE HORIZONTAL ORIENTATION.

THE ROUGHLY WEEK LONG INSTALLATION PROCESS WILL BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 24TH AND WILL BE COMPLETED BY MARCH 2ND. DURING THIS TIME...NEIGHBORING WSR-88D RADARS MAY BE USED AS FOLLOWS...

KDIX - MT HOLLY NJ

KLWX - STERLING VA

KPBZ - PITTSBURGH PA

KBUF - BUFFALO NY

KBGM - BINGHAMTON NY

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DUAL POLARIZATION UPGRADE... AND FOR ACCESS TO DUAL-POL TRAINING FOR NON-NWS METEOROLOGISTS...PLEASE VISIT...

WWW.WDTB.NOAA.GOV/COURSES/DUALPOL/OUTREACH /ALL LOWER CASE/

THIS MESSAGE WILL BE RESENT ON FEBRUARY 21ST...AND AGAIN ON FEBRUARY 24TH.

FOR MORE INFORMATION OR QUESTIONS...PLEASE CONTACT...

GREG DEVOIR /RADAR OPERATIONS PROGRAM LEADER/

[email protected]

Archived