joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 11-12 cont'd

MAG5035

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fail. Flyers nearly own a 5:1 W/L ratio over ****sburgh recording 139 W's, 87 L's and 30 T's ... thereby making us the true PA team. :tomato:

5:1? I think your math is off. :P We will settle this in the Playoffs when we knock philthy out again.

Ok, now back to weather, at least we can all root for a snowstorm that clobbers the whole state! :snowing:

I think I can settle this silly hockey dispute fairly easily...the proudest, most storied franchise in the commonwealth of PA is not in Philly. It is not in Pittsburgh. It's in Hershey. There, now that's settled...

Weekend really starting to look interesting. Weekend rule plus President's day both on our side. :weenie: Should hopefully at the very least be a fun week of tracking.

I think I can settle this silly hockey dispute fairly easily...the proudest, most storied franchise in the commonwealth of PA is not in Philly. It is not in Pittsburgh. It's in Hershey. There, now that's settled...

Weekend really starting to look interesting. Weekend rule plus President's day both on our side. :weenie: Should hopefully at the very least be a fun week of tracking.

B E A R S BEARS BEARS B E A R S BEARS BEARS WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It does kinda pop a very weak low offshore..but it'd be too late to make much of a difference. Main influence would still be the primary going nw of the area. One thing i did notice was the NAM was a bit chillier, making for a possible wet snowfall for the north-central/northeast. Those finer details will likely get more honed in the next couple days, but barring a major track shift (say somehow forcing the low under PA instead of to Erie)... it's a pretty unfavorable setup without some decent cold in place.

To answer your earlier question about the Euro showing a big storm near the D8 range.. that showed up a couple days ago on the Euro control run, which is from what I can gather...an operational run somehow based off of the Euro ensembles (but not an ensemble mean). Not sure of it's track record or really how it incorporates ensemble data, I did see Will (orh_wxman) comment it on being a worse euro op fwiw. But to cut to the chase, that run ran a gulf bomb inside thru eastern NC to sub 980 on top of Ocean City, MD before fading SE of the benchmark. It was a run that smacked all of PA but particularly the SE 1/4 of PA especially good. So yea... thats why the control run has become all the rage in the last day or so. Of course it disappeared the next run and I don't believe it has fully showed back up. HOWEVER, that's not to dispel the potential around that timeframe (Feb 19ish). What is evident is that models do have a gulf wave.. The GFS of course keeps it squashed while the Canadian fades a better but still fairly weak low off the SC/NC coast. The Euro was the most wound up and closest call today getting a 996 low to just off the coast of Nags Head. Snuck some light precip into some of PA but ultimately wasn't enough. For anyone interested the Euro control was very similar to the normal Euro op. We're going to need a good phase to make a storm out of this, which is certainly achieveable in the pattern going forward..but phasing a good storm hasn't been this winters forte. But given the timeframe and typical trends, I don't mind seeing a gulf storm too far southeast right now.

Indeed. A gulf storm moving off the carolina coast 6 days out is not a bad thing to have at this point. The NAO is not in a phase that would completely squash this thing, so fellow weenies out there need to chill and watch things unfold over the next 5 days.

Thank you MAG and JST for answering my earlier question about the 8-day euro event! You guys are so much appreciated in our sub-forum!!! :weight_lift:

Fail. Flyers nearly own a 5:1 W/L ratio over ****sburgh recording 139 W's, 87 L's and 30 T's ... thereby making us the true PA team. :tomato:

I was referring to how well he does against the Flyers.

Full disclosure - as odd as this will sound, I like both teams. I grew up a Flyers fan but grew to like the Pens when I lived in Pittsburgh.

B E A R S BEARS BEARS B E A R S BEARS BEARS WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YES! I got into hockey when I was seven years old, was taken to a Bears game. I became hooked, and my team became the Flyers. They won the Stanley Cup and never won it again :(

:violin:

Every team gotta have its downswings.

Considering we have yet to lose in Wells Fargo West, I'll take a best of 7 series with ya.

That would be a great series. Flyers continue to have goaltending issues. Again. Every damn year since Hextall.

Indeed. A gulf storm moving off the carolina coast 6 days out is not a bad thing to have at this point. The NAO is not in a phase that would completely squash this thing, so fellow weenies out there need to chill and watch things unfold over the next 5 days.

Yeah, I agree. That's not a bad place to be given the pattern we are in.

To get back to the hockey debate since I was gone. Some stats. Keep in mind the Flyers and Penguins came in together.

All time points percentage:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/

Philadelphia Flyers: .578 (second best all time behind Montreal at .590)

Pittsburgh Penguins: .495

Playoff berths:

Philadelphia Flyers: 35/43 (berths / seasons played) (tied for most among all expansion teams with St. Louis)

Pittsburgh Penguins: 26/43

Divisional Championships:

Philadelphia Flyers: 16

Pittsburgh Penguins: 6

Conference Championships:

Philadelphia Flyers: 8

Pittsburgh Penguns: 4

Stanley Cup Championships:

Philadelphia Flyers: 2

Pittsburgh Penguins: 3

President's Trophies:

Philadelphia Flyers: 0

Pittsburgh Penguins: 1

Hall of Famers:

Philadelphia Flyers: 12

Pittsburgh Penguins: 16

Head-to-Head:

All time record: 139-87-30 in favor of Flyers (930 gf - 782 ga)

Playoff series record: 3-2 in favor of Flyers

So based upon these statistics, we can make the following conclusions:

1) Over the long term (existence) the Flyers have been the far more successful franchise and have done more with less.

2) The Penguins have spent far more time in the basement than the Flyers and being saved from relocation twice proves that.

3) The Penguins have made more of their playoff chances than the Flyers

4) Hershey is still the king of PA hockey and for many years they were a Flyers affiliate.

Archived