Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA Winter 11-12 cont'd

MAG5035

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to the PennDOT salt truck driver that just cut us off on 81 by crossing two lanes coming out of the 11/15 exit northbound, emptying his truckload on my car as we narrowly avoided getting killed.

That sucks! All the main roads here were salted earlier.

Currently at freezing with flurries for the past 20 minutes or so.

Final Call

Widespread snow squalls and snow showers leading to lots of coatings to an inch.

The most likely areas to exceed an inch will be SE PA (mainly SE of the I81 and I78 corridor). Here accumulations will push advisory levels with up to three inches throughout these regions....although the one to two will be more of the norm for areas below 1000ft.

Also the mountainous regions of West and Central PA will see 1-2 inches with the Laurels picking up warning level snow...up to a foot in some spots.

Maybe I missed it (sorry if I did!), but what are your thoughts with tonight's system and tomorrow's wave?

Here were the fairly brief early evening thoughts I had with this system (response to Jamie) . Like I had mentioned, CTP had pretty solid disco on this event this afternoon as well. Might have to go to version 2 as the near term was updated a bit ago.

The difference I saw between the 12 and 18z NAM was associated with this initial wave of precip that will be rolling through this evening. QPF pentrated much further into PA at 12z than it did at 18z. The axis of heaviest snowfall (solid 2 or perhaps a bit more) from this first wave is likely to again run the turnpike corridor with prob an inch or two up our way.. and probably not very much further north. You can also get that vibe from current radar trends as well as latest 18z HRRR. This arctic frontal passage looks like it has more potential, given the dynamics, to deliver a widespread 1-3 to pretty much everyone. That part of the event looks pretty much unchanged on the newer NAM. Take a gander at the CTP afternoon disco, pretty nice explanation of things.

Archived