• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 25-27 Storm Thread

Nic

I was reading through the thread and noticed you guys talking about the models not showing anything this early into IN with this storm and certainly not this far north. It kind of reminds me of last year when I could sneeze and cause it to snow.

not from here and won't spend more time posting in this region

but the 18z nam has done an ok job showing area of .10-.25 qpf up thru s central indiana over to w. ohio from 1-7pm. didn't really handle the precip in central and SE ohio over to SW NY and w . pa that great and looks like it going to be about 5 hours to late with precip for S PA/ wv/ w. md

p.s and parts of central ohio are seeing snow

like just n and w of CMH port columbus airport

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not from here and won't spend more time posting in this region

but the 18z nam has done an ok job showing area of .10-.25 qpf up thru s central indiana over to w. ohio from 1-7pm. didn't really handle the precip in central and SE ohio over to SW NY and w . pa that great and looks like it going to be about 5 hours to late with precip for S PA/ wv/ w. md

p.s and parts of central ohio are seeing snow

like just n and w of CMH port columbus airport

Not me the air most be really dry above my house, there is still nothing. It has to do something soon.

Am seeing some light sleet right now, occasionally a snow flurry will mix in. Reflectivities too my southwest are high, but these are likely over-representing precip rates due to wet snow and sleet aloft. Should see a light wintry mix continue through much of the night...am under a winter weather advisory for a light dusting of snow and a light glaze of ice.

wow. nothing here. didnt expect anything though.

Although virga was all over the region this afternoon/evening, there was a notable band of 25-30dbz virga that sat between the I-94 and M59/I69 corridors (probably some frontogenesis/convergence between the system coming from the suoth and the cold front moving through from the north), and it ended up sitting over this area for so long with its heavier precipitation rates aloft that it eventually saturated the atmosphere enough from top to bottom for precipitation to reach the ground in the aforementioned areas.

I also received a dusting.

It's not like snow, it's not like sleet, it's not like ice. It's like cottage cheese.

I knew I forgot something at meijer.

It seems the roads actually improved from about 6pm until 10pm. I haven't been out since, but it was mostly liquid coming down then.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Meanwhile about 34 and 45yrs ago we had this looming..

From GRR this day in weather history....

1/25/1967 Temperatures reach the 60s for the second day in a row across Lower Michigan. However, the spring-like weather is about to give way to one of the greatest snowstorms on record.

The Weather History for January 26th

1/26/1967 Temperatures in the 20s are some 40 degrees colder than the day before, and heavy snow begins falling, piling up a foot or more along with increasing winds. 1/26/1978 A storm known as the Cleveland Superbomb moves north from the Gulf of Mexico and deepens explosively, becoming one of the worst blizzards in Midwest history. From one to two feet of snow falls across southern Lower Michigan, whipped into huge drifts by strong gusty winds. Several new records were set including a new record low sea level barometric pressure of 28.68 , observed at 6:00 AM. At least 9 deaths were attributed to the blizzard, most roads were impassable, roofs collapsed under the weight of the snow and the airport in Grand Rapids was closed from late on the 25th until the 27th. Governor Milliken declared a state of emergency and requested additional federal aid for snow removal. 1/27/1967 Chicago's greatest snowstorm on record also extends into Lower Michigan, where Battle Creek records 28.6 inches of snow. The storm total at Lansing is 23 inches and 18 inches at Grand Rapids.

Looks like plain rain right now. 00z NAM spits out over .5 qpf and GFS has decent precip so we'd have some issues if it were ice but I'm not sure if we will be able to make it back down to freezing.

So close, yet so far away. Temp on my thermometer stuck in the 33-34 range...but still somewhat of a gloppy mess remains in the parking lot here this morning. I also noticed LAF is not reporting precipitation totals.

Archived