DVN. . .

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

919 AM CST FRI JAN 20 2012

...BAND OF HEAVY SNOW OVERSPREADING PORTIONS OF EASTERN IOWA AND

NORTHWEST ILLINOIS THIS MORNING...

AT 9 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND SURFACE

REPORTS INDICATED AN AXIS OF HEAVY SNOW ROUGHLY ALONG THE HIGHWAY

20 CORRIDOR FROM INDEPENDENCE EAST THROUGH DYERSVILLE...

MANCHESTER AND DUBUQUE. VISIBILITIES WERE BELOW A ONE QUARTER OF A

MILE...WITH SNOWFALL RATES NEAR 1 INCH PER HOUR.

THE MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN IN PLACE OVER

THIS AREA...AND EXTEND EAST INTO INTO NORTHWEST ILLINOIS FROM EAST

DUBUQUE THROUGH GALENA TO FREEPORT THROUGH LATE MORNING.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES WILL BE LIKELY BY NOON ALONG

THE HIGHWAY 20 CORRIDOR OF EASTERN IOWA...WITH 1 TO 2 INCHES OVER

NORTHWEST ILLINOIS BEFORE THE NOON HOUR.

not sold, an inch or two bonue maybe, but it looks to be super transient. Nice to hear Cyclone's report of decent flake size.

inch or two extra is almost = to your biggest snowfall this winter. I was just trolling ya about the LE.. I know your feelings about LE and LES and conservative until data screams is always prudent.

Measured 1.25" ten minutes ago. The ratio so far is 12.5 to 1. We've been going back and forth between pixie dust and slightly bigger flakes. We get the bigger flakes when the green bands move through.

The back edge continues to slowly move northeastward. Ames is now in the clear and even Marshalltown is on the edge.

IND has 3-4" total for LAF in their latest zone forecast. Seems bullish to me.

Looking at the zone forecast for a few counties is interesting. Shows Boone in pretty much all snow, but has Montgomery and Hamilton with Snow, Sleet, and Frz Rain. Going to be close if we stay all snow.

I don't see any reason as to why 3-4 isn't possible for the snow mecca (aka LAF). :lol:

Looking at the zone forecast for a few counties is interesting. Shows Boone in pretty much all snow, but has Montgomery and Hamilton with Snow, Sleet, and Frz Rain. Going to be close if we stay all snow.

I don't see any reason as to why 3-4 isn't possible for the snow mecca (aka LAF). :lol:

[Chicago WX] It gon rain [/Chicago WX]

Measured 1.25" ten minutes ago. The ratio so far is 12.5 to 1. We've been going back and forth between pixie dust and slightly bigger flakes. We get the bigger flakes when the green bands move through.

The back edge continues to slowly move northeastward. Ames is now in the clear and even Marshalltown is on the edge.

Nice. Guessing about a half inch down here. Have yet to see pixie dust, but I've been in a decent band since I woke up a short while ago. We're in the same boat concerning that extreme cutoff. Makes for a very difficult forecast. RGEM and new GFS look great for our areas, but the HRRR is well to the north. Just gonna have to watch the radar and hope the SW edge stalls at some point.

We're probably not totally out of the woods here, with sleet taint...though I expect it to be all snow. The 12z RGEM p-type maps show all snow, which actually looks to have moved south from the 0z run...by about 30 or so miles. Looks like the GFS upped QPF a tad, so maybe I'll raise my call to 2.0-3.0". :guitar:

Only slightly OT...starting tomorrow I will be sporting a new avatar for a week or two. Indiana posters will prob like it.

Snow rate at around 0.00000000003" an hr

Rally sons of Notre Dame

Sing her glory and sound her fame

Raise her Gold and Blue

And cheer with voices true:

Rah, rah, for Notre Dame

We will fight in every game,

Strong of heart and true to her name

We will ne'er forget her

And will cheer her ever

Loyal to Notre Dame.

Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame,