• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV Banter thread

NortheastPAWx

Only dropped to 31 here. Glad the extreme cold didn't occur.

Not quite as cold this AM as predicted. 28.7 for a low in Spring Mount. Still quite chilly compared to what we have been used to the past few weeks. A Freeze Warning in March tells you just how crazy warm it's been.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't stand the "breezy" term used in forecasts I saw around the web today. I think to the average joe anything sustained over 20 mph with gusts over 30 mph would be perceived as "windy". Saw PTW airport had a gust to 48 mph. Impressive and believable based on the fact that some of my lawn furniture ended up in the yard next door.

I have noticed the terms "breezy" and "windy" tend to be overused. I have seen some local TV stations use "breezy" yet the forecast wind speeds are only like 10-15 mph. To me, a 10 mph wind is not breezy. Yesterday was windy.

I have noticed the terms "breezy" and "windy" tend to be overused. I have seen some local TV stations use "breezy" yet the forecast wind speeds are only like 10-15 mph. To me, a 10 mph wind is not breezy. Yesterday was windy.

Good point on the overuse of breezy on the lower end winds too. I notice that too quite often.

I agree Mike probably should add the wording "gusty" also when stating windy.(CYA)

Official National Weather Service guidelines say that "breezy" is when wind velocities are in the 15-25 mph range.

"Windy" is when wind velocities are in the 20-30 mph range.

These wind speeds are the average sustained winds. Wind "gusts" are when there are bursts of wind higher than the sustained winds. "Gusty" describes a day when there will be frequent bursts of wind.

I agree Mike probably should add the wording "gusty" also when stating windy.(CYA)

Official National Weather Service guidelines say that "breezy" is when wind velocities are in the 15-25 mph range.

"Windy" is when wind velocities are in the 20-30 mph range.

These wind speeds are the average sustained winds. Wind "gusts" are when there are bursts of wind higher than the sustained winds. "Gusty" describes a day when there will be frequent bursts of wind.

Interesting stuff.

if we hit 70 today it's the 10th time this March we've been, done that...a record for any March.

I see that PHL has had a trace of snow this month. That's something that TTN hasn't shared. If this is maintained (looks like it will be) through Saturday night, it'll be the first time in over 100 years that March has been completely snow-less at TTN.

I see that PHL has had a trace of snow this month. That's something that TTN hasn't shared. If this is maintained (looks like it will be) through Saturday night, it'll be the first time in over 100 years that March has been completely snow-less at TTN.

A snow drought indeed. The first week in April maybe different though

does anyone remember when that trace was in philly?...i have absolutely no recollection of it being close to snowing.

Archived